Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone try Canon's new 70-300mm L series?  (Read 4139 times)

Georgecp

Anyone try Canon's new 70-300mm L series?
« on: December 10, 2010, 05:09:58 pm »

curious if anyone has tried this yet.  I am considering as an upgrade from my 70-300mm DO series lens.  With my 5dMkII, the DO does not provide the resolution it did with my 5D...

Interested in anyone's experiences..

Thank you,

George

funfoto

Re: Anyone try Canon's new 70-300mm L series?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 02:46:20 am »

I was interested in getting this lens to replace my 70-200L and 100-400L, but after testing it I found both the lenses I already had were sharper. I only tested one copy, so there may be a sharp one out there somewhere. It was also a lot heavier than the 70-200 which I actually use a lot more than the 100-400, so that wasn't appealing either.
If you are interested in any of Canon's lenses, I would highly recommend you testing it out to make sure you get a good copy, for, as has been my experience, they can vary in sharpness from copy to copy. I actually tested three lenses one time to finally get a good one I was happy with. Their quality control leaves a lot to be desired sometimes, and I'm sure the other brands are the same. Just be sure to test test and test!

Diver

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 02:46:37 am »

Hi George,

Delurking to help you out.
You can find a good review in the first link below. Don't worry, its in english. The link gives you their test with the lens on a crop Canon camera. Remarkable conclusions, they rarely rave like this. Oh, and they have also posted a review with the lens on a fullframe camera.

Scroll down in the second link and you will find comments from an enthousiastic user.

Seems you should do it......

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/571-canon70300f456islapsc

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1370/cat/11

Regards.

stever

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 12:34:42 pm »

the photozone reviews are useful on a comparative basis, but sometimes are a little difficult to interpret as older tests have been conducted with older cameras of lower resolution.  photozone and dpreview both use Imatest but the resolution numbers that photozone obtains are MUCH higher than dpreview.  i also use Imatest for selecting and occassionally checking lenses and get numbers comparable to dpreview

i never got an image with the DO beyond 200mm that was useably sharp even on my 20D even after Canon service so sold it at a large loss since by then everyone else figured out what a piece of crap it is at longer focal lengths

after testing a 70-200 f4 i decided to buy a 200 f2.8 because it works much better with telextenders and because it's compact and black.  however, for travel it is not nearly as useful as a good zoom

i also pretty much vowed not to buy any Canon lenses until they had been manufactured for at least 6 months and test a minimum of 2 copies

from the initial tests and lens design i suspect that the 70-300 will be better at 300mm than the 70-200 f4 with 1.4x (but probably not better than the 70-200 f2.8 II with the new extender - but it may not be much better than a good 100-400 which is what i end up using most of the time.

Also look at lensrentals.com as Roger (the owner) has an opinion based on shooting experience

does anyone know if the 70-300 will physically accept a Canon extender?

peterpix

• http://perpublisher.com
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 12:29:46 pm »

does anyone know if the 70-300 will physically accept a Canon extender?

Apparently it does not work with Canon extenders, but here's a great field review

http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/12/ef-70-300-f4-5-6l-is-review/

Peter Randall

Diver

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 03:57:11 pm »

Well, I bit the bullet, I bought one.
I’ll give you my first impressions.

Physical:
•   It is built like a tank. Put on a camouflage sleeve and it’s military grade. This is the ideal walking around lens for your next trip to the Hindu Kush.
•   It oozes quality. And radiates your affluence. So get yourself a bodyguard when shooting streetlife in Muggerville.
•   It is seriously ugly. Although with the hood on it may vaguely seem to resemble something familiar, it will not enhance your sexappeal.
•   It is wide, short and heavy. You might want to rent a donkey while hiking through the Kush.
•   Handholding it is awkward. The zoom ring is placed to the front of the lens, at the widest part. Zooming and trying to support the thing it at the same time will put your wrist at an uncomfortable angle and may cause shake, defocussing and inaccurate zooming. Solution: put on the tripod mount. Suddenly the ergonomics are perfect, the lens sits nicely balanced in the palm of you left hand, while your fingers are free to nimbly operate the zoon ring.

Optical:
I am no pixel peeper, so I read the various reviews of this lens from labs and RL photographers. They consistently deem it to be of high optical quality, a fine, pro level tool. As it should be at this price point. I have had little chance to form an impression myself, since the wheather here cycles between dark, dreary, drab, foggy, rainy, damp and other typical qualities of our depressive climate. So I did a quick and very dirty indoor comparison with a Canon 24-105mm f/4 L and a Canon 100mm f/2.8 L Macro. All three lenses were used on tripod, at 100mm, f/4, 1/60 sec, ISO 200, RAW, with bounceflash.
Results: Visual inspection on an iMac showed that the 70-300 was at the same level as the 24-105. Which is good news for me, as my 24-105 is a good copy that produces excellent results. The 100mm L Macro was quite a bit better though. Sharper, more contrasty and the images seemed clearer and cleaner. But of course that should be expected from a state of the art macro prime that was stopped down to f/4.

Begin rant:
Don't let the images on the internet fool you, this lens is not creamy white. It is a dull, light gray, the kind of grey you find on cheap office furniture, network printers and lab gear. One wonders how much marketshare Canon could steal from Nikon and others by just using a different paint on their telelenses. Let alone hiring some Italian industrial designers. Do they actually sell something in Italy?
End rant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up