Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor & Calibrator Recommendations? (Dell, NEC and ColorMunki)  (Read 4948 times)

Johnny_Boy

Monitor & Calibrator Recommendations? (Dell, NEC and ColorMunki)
« on: December 10, 2010, 04:40:24 pm »

I’ve done lots of research and below three are my contenders. Can you help me think through the selection process?
1.   Dell U2711 Monitor ($879) + ColorMunki ($400) = Total 1279
2.   NEC PA241W Monitor with SpectraViewII bundle = Total $1171
3.   NEC PA241W Monitor ($837) + ColorMunki  ($400) + SpectraViewII software ($90) = Total $1327

Here is what I need
I.   Need a good monitor for color accuracy
II.   Need a good calibrator and software that can be used for the new monitor, PLUS the existing monitors that I have (Samsung)
III.   Possibly need to calibrate printer/paper output. I just purchased a new Canon large format printer and I am not sure how accurate the paper profile from the manufactures would be. Good enough I do not need to scan and profile my own? Or I would still do it, so ColorMunki can be handy?

Nice to have
I.   Cheap
II.   Bigger screen and resolution

I was leaning towards #1, since I get more screen real estate plus the ColorMunki, so if needed I can do printer profiles. However, this is assuming that
A.   Adjusting LUT on the video card for Dell is just as good or almost as good as updating the LUT on the NEC monitor itself
B.   I would actually create printer/paper profiles

(BTW, I am on a Mac Pro if that makes any difference)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 04:42:08 pm by Johnny_Boy »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Monitor & Calibrator Recommendations? (Dell, NEC and ColorMunki)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 05:18:57 pm »

Door #2. Unless you need a ColorMunki to also build paper profiles, the colorimeter bundled with the NEC has filters mated to that display which is ideal.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Johnny_Boy

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 07:11:44 pm »

Can you use the colorimeter that comes with NEC on other monitors or it would really only work with NEC monitors?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 10:21:22 pm »

You can use it on other displays but its optimized for wide gamut units like this NEC.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 09:26:14 am »

Door #2. Unless you need a ColorMunki to also build paper profiles, the colorimeter bundled with the NEC has filters mated to that display which is ideal.

+1
~ CB

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 06:09:44 pm »

I have doors 2&3!  Bought the spectraview package before I decided to do paper profiling.  You can't go wrong as noted with the puck unless you are going to do paper profiles.  I've found the Munki and puck give the same results on profiling the monitor.

Alan

VitOne

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 06:33:36 pm »

I personally would go for number 3, but I like very much ArgyllCMS (more than the SpectraView II software, not as good as SpectraView Profile 4) and I would take the ColorMunki because it is a very good instrument in relation to its cost and you can, of course, use it with ArgyllCMS (I would suggest to make the calibration with the SpectraView II software and the profile with ArgyllCMS and ColorMunki).
With ArgyllCMS and the ColorMunki I think you can get very good printer profiles.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 06:36:04 pm by VitOne »

photopianeil

• http://nrennie.com
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 07:11:26 pm »

I agree with Chris.  I have the 26"NEC with the tweaked eye-1 display2 and Spectraview II.  I believe the monitor you chose is a close, newer cousin.  SInce it has the gamut of Adobe RGB, I assume it's internally calibrated from the built-in LUTs.  This is really the only type of monitor that gets close to the old CRTs for wysiwyg printing.  I looked at Eizo as well but until you spend and extra grand, their monitors are similar to the NEC with similar internal calibration.  The Spectraview II is insanely easy for calibration and they give you at least two quality levels.  Even better for versatility is that you can make 5 or six different calibrations and then switch in a few seconds.  I currently use Print Standard for all my print processing  50K, 1.8, 80 brightness, and Photo Editing which is the standard 65K 2.2 gamma and about 140 brightness.  WHile the viewing is extraordinary, it is not quite as good as the old crts or the $2500 Eizo for printing.  For everything else, it's excellent, and much better than a CRT. 
About, the spectro.  I used to make custom profiles with both an old X-rite and a newer eye-1 spectro.  A couple years ago, Epson and eventually almost everyone else began to offer canned profiles which were very good, and I haven't made a profile since.  I can see how with some papers and some imagery you might want to get even closer so I may get a Colormunki eventually.  I can almost guarantee that you will never get a calibration of a monitor from any device which will be as good as the one you can get with the specially tuned puck and the internal hi-bit LUTs.  I suggest you get the process down with your new equipment and then go for the Colormunki if you need it.  Even with a custom profile you still must use ICC color management unless you own a rip like Imageprint.  They have their own high bit color management which produces better color, and they provide higher end custom profiles for any paper you may want for the life of your dongle. (but it is not cheap as we both like)
Neil

Johnny_Boy

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 01:59:34 pm »

I ended up going with #2 option, sort of. It was $100 cheaper to buy the monitor ($799) and the calibrator/software ($277) separately from B&H than buying the pre-bundled package ($1239). Also, NEC had a promotion where they gave free monitor hood and the cable (until 12/31/2010). All in all, very good deal.

BTW, I also seriously considered HP ZR30w for the 2560x1600 resolution with 99% Adobe RGB for $1150, however I decided to go with the proven product at this point.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:19:12 pm by Johnny_Boy »
Pages: [1]   Go Up