Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1Ds - Half of frame is lighter  (Read 4564 times)

Ray

1Ds - Half of frame is lighter
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2004, 03:08:09 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']That's an extrememe example (you still haven't said if you read that thread on DPReview). but I know people who have the problem with well-exposed images that aren't shot at night.[/font]
[font color=\'#000000\']I have read much of the dpreview thread (a bit tedious actually, which is why I prefer LL). Since the effects are exaggerated, I wonder what's the significance in practice. The example in dpreview could be easily fixed by darkening the sky. Sky has no detail. A better example would be of material where there is detail.[/font]

jwjohnson

• http://www.jjsviewbox.com/
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2004, 02:30:15 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Update  

Just to bring you all up to date.  I sent my 1Ds into Canon Factory Service in Irvine along with a sample print demonstrating the problem.  They evidently thought there was a problem as well.  They "replaced the CMOS, Adjusted CMOS Sensor, Shade, White Balance, Color Matrix, Cleaned VF, Mirror, and Checked all functions."  (Their words, I'm not sure what some of them mean.) It even came back with a clean sensor (no dust specks at all on test image).  I haven't been back to the same location, but similar shots do not show the lighter half of the frame I was seeing before.

Thanks for your suggestions.[/font]

Quadra950

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2004, 04:13:18 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']It's been a couple of weeks, have you had a chance to test out the 1Ds since the replacement?  Maybe Canon has found a solution?[/font]

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2005, 01:10:59 am »

I had chosen to underexpose at low ISO's (100 whenever I could) and use exposure compensation in ACR, rather than expose correctly (or closer to correctly) at higher ISO's, because I had been told by someone I had reason to trust that I would get lower total noise that way.
That is simply bad advice. My rule of thumb is that if the exposure slider wants to go above +1 stop, reshooting is the best option. If reshoot isn't practical, break out Neat Image and make the best of things.

I appreciate the evaluation of lenses for stage photography, too. Most of my theater photography has been done with a 70-200 2.8L, so I have a start, perhaps, on suitable glass.

I typically shoot concerts with a 1D-MkII at ISO 1600 and a 1Ds set at ISO 640. I'll put a wide lens on the 1Ds, like the 24-70/2.8L, (you get wider coverage with the 1Ds, and can get away with handholding slower shutter speeds with wide lenses than you can with teles) and a longer lens on the 1D-MkII, like the 70-200/2.8L IS, 100/2, or 135/2L. Your choice of  glass so far is just fine.

A second camera body was definitely on the horizon, anyway, so I'll take your advice on the 1D MkII if circumstances permit. In any event, I'll now be very careful to check noise levels and banding in any model I'm considering.

The 1D-MkII is quite good in that regard, underexposure at high ISO gets you a fine vertical banding. This is an ISO 3200 shot, look very closely at the background, upper left corner:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up