Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson R2880 ink charging problem  (Read 4945 times)

Roy Money

Epson R2880 ink charging problem
« on: December 10, 2010, 01:22:55 pm »

After a 2 month period of no use I turned on my R2880 and found that I needed to put in new ink cartridges, so I put in several new cartridges and with each one the ink charging failed to activate when the ink button was pressed.  After that  I opened up the cartridge chamber and tried to make sure the cartridges were seated as snugly as possible but to no effect.  I subsequently turned the printer off and when restarted the cartridges all seem to be recognized but I am concerned that the standard charging process did not occur.
Any suggestions most appreciated.

Roy

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
Re: Epson R2880 ink charging problem
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 01:27:20 pm »

Ink charging is to be made only on a new printer, or maybe new heads... You don't need it after only 2 months of inactivity, I'd say. If you really do want that, you could see the SSC service utility.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Roy Money

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 04:47:11 pm »

Really.  Perhaps I misinterpreted the manual, or EPSON likes to encourage ink usage.  Thanks.

Aristoc

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 07:17:28 am »

you put in one ink cartridge at a time AND LEFT the others ? have you tried sending a print yet? it may charge after you hit print.

Roy Money

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 08:53:38 am »

Right, I put in one cartridge at a time as the ink supply indicated replacement.  The ink and power lights flashed but no sounds or action. My memory was that there was more activity associated with this, but maybe that is in error.  Should I expect anythinh other than flashing lights for 2.5 minutes?

I did subsequently try printing with paper but the images showed alternating lighter and darker bands, in direction of the roller movement.  This seems to be indicative of need for head cleaning but that didn't complete because I ran out of ink for a cartridge. 

Thanks for your response.

Roy

Aristoc

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 10:46:10 am »

I can't answer your question about banding because I dont know about that. Is  your printer new? When my printer was brand new, and on the first set of ink cartridges, it did take about 5 minutes to charge. But that was in the beginning and it doesn't do those long chargings anymore. At least, not very often.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 11:20:47 am »

Right, I put in one cartridge at a time as the ink supply indicated replacement.  The ink and power lights flashed but no sounds or action. My memory was that there was more activity associated with this, but maybe that is in error.  Should I expect anythinh other than flashing lights for 2.5 minutes?
Not necessarily. I didn't find a pattern, sometimes there is a cleaning cycle after chaging a cartridge, sometimes not.

I did subsequently try printing with paper but the images showed alternating lighter and darker bands, in direction of the roller movement.  This seems to be indicative of need for head cleaning

Yes... Try first to print a nozzle check pattern.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Roy Money

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 02:48:59 pm »

thanks
hoping I will be good to go after I get new cartridges and run the nozzle routine
Pages: [1]   Go Up