Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC PA241,Mac OS 10.6,ColorMunki &Spectraview No Go  (Read 3942 times)

walter.sk

NEC PA241,Mac OS 10.6,ColorMunki &Spectraview No Go
« on: December 09, 2010, 08:25:15 pm »

We just got our NEC PA241W to use on a Mac Mini running OS 10.6.  We installed the newest version of SpectraViewII, and installed the ColorMunki software as well.  Running SpectraViewII, in the Preferences, we were able to select the ColorMunki as the profiling device.  However, the Calibrate button on the opening page of SpectraViewII remained grayed out, and we were unable to calibrate/profile the display.

Substituting the Eye1 Display 2 colorimeter, SpectraView was able to function normally with the NEC PA241.  Is there a step we are missing?  For example, on our PC, we have to go into the X-Rite software in the Control Panel and disable it in order to get SpectraViewII to recognize the ColorMunki.  Is there a similar issue with the CM and Spectraview on the Mac system?

Also, we have the PA241 connected to the Mac Mini using a Mini Display Port to Display Port adapter at the computer, into a Display Port cable to connect with the Display Port jack on the monitor.  Is this the best combination for us?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 10:08:03 am by walter.sk »

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
Re: NEC PA241,Mac OS 10.6,ColorMunki &Spectraview No Go
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 12:29:25 am »

See the README file for instructions on how to disable the ColorMunki service in order to allow SpectraView to access the device.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 12:55:35 pm »

Will do, and thanks.

I suppose I really should have read the Readme--duh!

walter.sk

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 01:54:49 pm »

Will:

We could not find  a README file on the MAC Mini that was about either the NEC display or the Spectraview software.  However, in the System Preferences we found the X-Rite applet and un-checked the Colormunki box.

After that, the SpectraView II software was able to locate and communicate with the ColorMunki.  However, after clicking on Calibrate, and having the ColorMunki calibrate itself, we got an error message that said something to the effect that:  "The color being measured is invalid. Try moving the position of the ColorMunki on the screen (not the exact wording of the error message.)

We went through the routine about half a dozen times, and the same error message kept appearing.  Any thoughts?  We have no problem using the ColorMunki and Spectraview II on our PC with the NEC 3090.

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 07:44:10 am »

There is also some issue with the Mac's mini-display port cables that is causing problems,  NEC has something about that posted on their web-site.  MAy or may not apply in your situation.

Regards,
[size=12p

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 10:30:10 am »

Thoughts:

1. Have you fully opened the sliding cover on the underneath of the ColorMunki?

2. Is it plugged in directly to the USB port on your Mac, or via a hub? You should plug it directly into your Mac.

3. Does it calibrate OK if you use another sensor on the same machine with the same display?

4. You could try just doing a Profile of the display rather than calibrate, and see if that works OK, and if so what kind of results it gives.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

walter.sk

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 01:00:48 pm »

The reply was really helpful, Will.  I had the ColorMunki plugged into a powered USB hub.  When I plugged it directly into the computer's USB port, it worked like a charm.

I have another question which was not addressed in the user's manual.  Photoshop's preferences ask for the screen resolution.  My NEC 3090's manual says 101 pixels per inch is the setting.  I could not find the setting in the PA241 manual.  Dividing 1900 pixels by 20.4 inches gives me 93.14 ppi.  Should I enter that figure, or 94 or 93 into the Photoshop preferences? (the default is 72ppi.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up