Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon when shooting raw it matters if camera set to sRGB or ARGB  (Read 5979 times)

bjanes

Re: Nikon when shooting raw it matters if camera set to sRGB or ARGB
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 11:01:57 am »

The facilitator is dead wrong, raw is raw, it has no actual color space at this stage of life

This statement brings up a previous discussion on this site, where such luminaries in the digital imaging world as Thomas Knoll opined that the raw file does indeed have a color space. Chapter 6 of the DNG specification is devoted wholly to the subject of mapping the camera color space to the CIE XYZ space.

To paraphrase Bill Clinton, "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....". In other words, it depends on definition and how that definition is parsed.

Since that thread was argued, Douglas Kerr has published a very illuminating 27 page PDF, Digital camera sensor colorimetry. The discussion involves the Luther-Ives criteria, matrix transformations, imaginary primaries, metameric matches, and negative RGB values. Very interesting reading for the technically minded.

The conclusion that the camera does not have a strictly defined color space, but in practice it is often convenient to imagine that it does. Both sides of this argument can claim victory :)

Regards,

Bill

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 11:04:50 am »

In any case, the "color space" of the camera would be defined by the colors of the bayer array and those cannot be changed by any setting, since they are a physical property of a component of the camera

Graystar

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 11:29:56 am »

I don't know what you are doing in the bathroom to turn the monitor bluish? :) :) ;).
Well, I won't be getting into details on that one...other than to say that I have a regular light bulb in my bathroom, and its light has more red than the daylight bulb at my desk, as well as my sRGB monitor.  Human eyes will start to perform a white-balance shift to counter the red.  Whites illuminated by daylight, or displayed on a 6500K monitor, will suffer a momentarily blue shift until the eyes shift again.

Seriously if you can't trust your computer monitor how can you trust your camera monitor if it is only about 20% the size of the computer monitor.
  I don't trust it.  I was just noting that it looks pretty good.  I always try to judge by data, not by perception.

IMO the computer monitor is for changing colour,saturation and contrast to taste and not looking for an "accurate" rendering of the scene. :)
I would think that a person who photographs for documentation purposes might have a different opinion.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up