Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cloud Storage Solution  (Read 10138 times)

Rowat

• http://www.andrewrowat.com
Re: Cloud Storage Solution
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 01:04:44 am »

I used Mozy once upon a time, but had to abandon it because it never worked properly. Tech support was always very quick in their responses and very attentive, but they never solved the problem. I currently use Jungle Disk, which is a front end to Amazon's S3 service. It has a few different types of backup options and pricing (https://www.jungledisk.com/personal/desktop/pricing/default.aspx), but you just pay for what you use. For your 40GB it would be $4.90 per month + $4 for the initial upload. Their drawbacks are as follows - slightly more complex than other offerings and no phone support.

Andrew.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 06:07:57 pm »

My Mozy back up just finished.  Total backed up was 49 GB and it took five working days (I turned the computer off in the evening and probably could have shaved some time off had I let it run overnight).  I did find out that you have to specify for Mozy to backup XMP files; it will not do it automatically as it requires explicit file extensions in the rule.  I thought something was funny when I didn't see any XMP files going through the back up process (they only take about 5-10 seconds) and the on-line help led me to the answer.  I hope that I don't need to do a back up because of a crash (as I have two redundant external drives the only case of needing Mozy would be a home fire/flood/theft, etc.).

Alan

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 08:15:17 pm »

(as I have two redundant external drives the only case of needing Mozy would be a home fire/flood/theft, etc.).

Exactly the contingency I use Mozy for. I consider it as last resort and redundancy.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up