Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Horsebox and Companions  (Read 1401 times)

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Horsebox and Companions
« on: December 09, 2010, 03:33:51 am »

Another frame from the Lanlivery Rally, a reflective moment this time.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Rob C

Re: Horsebox and Companions
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 02:25:07 pm »

Another frame from the Lanlivery Rally, a reflective moment this time.

John

Something very interesting is being shown here: take away the beverage and there's nothing; put it back into the image and it all makes a sense of its own. Such a tiny part, but essential.

Rob C

(I need a holiday.)

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 06:34:10 pm »

I'm not so sure Rob, as an image its very expressive of the relationship between the girl and the horses, she is remote yet at the same time observant , a guardian of a treasure that horsey types will doubtless relate to. The moment of reflection and contentment is caught particularly well and for me at least the presence of the beverage is a finishing touch rather than a focal point, the cherry rather than the cake. My only criticism is the very dark areas of the rear of the horsebox and the flanks of the horse, a little detail in both would go a long way.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 07:23:15 pm by Justinr »

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 04:44:48 am »

My only criticism is the very dark areas of the rear of the horsebox and the flanks of the horse, a little detail in both would go a long way.

Many thanks for your comments. It is always interesting to find out what other people see in your pictures, often not at all what you might have expected. There is a little more detail in the shadow areas in the print, I should mention. The files are optimised for printing, and then I just pop a little jpeg off for the web which I have to confess I don't bother to re-edit for the screen.

Having said that, I quite deliberately lost most of the shadow detail in this one, as I often do. That's because any detail in there is just going to be a horrible noisy mush, which I really can't stand. If this was film, those areas of the negative would be very, very thin, and I would do the same in the darkroom too.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 10:29:34 pm »

Nice storytelling. More journalistic than anything. I like the balance across the image between the animal and the woman.
The line of the of the trailer door across her head is distracting.

David Saffir

GuruShots Photo Critique
If you'd like pro advice and full professional critique
see GuruShots Photo Critique. I'm a contributor there.
David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor
Pages: [1]   Go Up