Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panasonic GH2 video  (Read 7575 times)

tonysmith

Panasonic GH2 video
« on: December 08, 2010, 03:13:27 pm »

I have recently upgraded from Panasonic G1 to GH2 primarily because I want to become familiar with video. I presently know very little about video, as this question will surely reveal.

I have found with each of my lenses that when I switch from still image mode to movie mode, I need to significantly increase the ISO setting before the live view will show me a reasonably light image. This is most noticeable with the slower lenses. Today I asked a representative at Vistek (a local camera store for serious and professional photographers) for an explanation. He could not provide one.

Hopefully I will have better luck here. Is there a reason why a scene that will give me a good still image at ISO 160 needs a much higher ISO setting for a movie? Is this normal?

Advice much appreciated

Tony

michael

Re: Panasonic GH2 video
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 03:47:19 pm »

This defiantly should not be the case.

Are you looking at the histogram? Is it changing. What mode are you in? Manual video mode, or just automatic. Auto ISO or manual?

This is a sophisticated camera and there are a number of things that need to be set properly if you're in Manual video mode.

If you're in Manual Movie mode what exposure mode are you in; S,A or M?

Is the image dark, flash bright when you press the shutter release to focus, and then go dark again?

Have you spent some time with the manual?

Michael

Ps: No all the salesman at Vistek understand video. Have you spoken to the guys behind the video counter on the second floor rather than the DSLR salesman?

tonysmith

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 04:42:00 pm »

Michael

Many thanks for your quick response. I will spend some more time reading the manual and checking settings.

In the meantime, yes, the image goes dark when I switch to movie mode, flashes bright when I (half) press the shutter, then goes dark again. Does that tell you something?

Tony

michael

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 05:24:24 pm »

Tells me that you don't have the exposure set properly.

In any of the still photography exposure modes the camera tries to act like a DSLR. It will boost or cut the on screen image exposure, regardless of the setting, to something that looks good. At the moment of exposure it does whatever you've set it to.

But, in dedicated video mode you need to set the type of exposure automation... A, M, P or S and also the ISO, auto or a specific setting. If the settings are wrong then it's just like looking through a reflex camera with the aperture stopped down.

Stick with automated video mode till you've got it sorted out.

Michael

fredjeang

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 05:24:33 pm »

Are you using vintage manual fast lenses on your camera? or the image goes darker with any lens?

As MR said, check if you are in auto isos and the mode. You shouldn't be in auto isos.

That happens in low light only or in any situation?

tonysmith

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 10:34:45 pm »

Yes, my problem was in low light situations and yes, I now see that my exposure settings were incorrect for that situation.

You have given me the clues I needed to figure out my problem.

The manual was very little use - I am amazed that so few of the 200 pages are devoted to such a large part of the functionality.

I am now on the right lines, and I thank you for your help.

As a final question, all the manual says about 24P cinema mode is "Record motion picture with afterimage like a cinema" - what does that mean?

Thanks again

Tony
Pages: [1]   Go Up