Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya/Phase 645AF: external battery/socket specs?  (Read 5585 times)

ondebanks

Mamiya/Phase 645AF: external battery/socket specs?
« on: December 07, 2010, 12:46:56 pm »

My long exposures with the 645AFD are sucking my lithium batteries dry very fast. (If I was shooting film I'd use the "T" mode of course, but this is with my Kodak digital back).
I want to power the camera via an ac/dc adapter, since I'm often shooting within extension reel range of an ac mains socket - I already use the Elpac dc adapter for the Kodak back.

Mamiya thoughtfully provided a socket for external power on the base of the camera. And there is an external battery holder available which plugs into this, the PE401. But I want mains power rather than battery. So I should be able to plug in a dc adapter instead of the PE401, right?

So: does anyone know the specs of the PE401? All I know is that it provides 9V DC (6 x 1.5V AA batteries, just like the batteries in the grip). But what are the inner & outer diameter specs of the jack on the PE401, or alternatively the socket on the camera? (it's too tight to get a callipers in there). And what is the polarity - centre positive?

Maybe a PE401 owner could check, or a Mamiya/Phase dealer, or repairer? I would be so grateful for any information.

Rudy Torres

Re: Mamiya/Phase 645AF: external battery/socket specs?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 11:42:34 pm »

Call Capture Integration. They list, on their estore, a Phase One Body Power Adapter for $49.00, product#71509.
The description describes what your looking for, I think.

- Rudy

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 08:45:26 am »

Call Capture Integration. They list, on their estore, a Phase One Body Power Adapter for $49.00, product#71509.
The description describes what your looking for, I think.

It's exactly what you're looking for. It plugs into a somewhat hidden port on the body directly - not through the battery system.

Thanks Rudy.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:48:51 am by dougpetersonci »

ondebanks

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 09:31:54 am »

Thanks, Rudy & Doug!

Doug - please tell me more:

1) Does the #71509 work with the Mamiya AFD? Your store description refers only to the P1 AF, DF or Mamiya DM.
2) Where is this mysterious somewhat hidden port?! Is it different to the one I was talking about (the one on the base, where you turn a small disk a quarter-turn to remove a cap and expose the socket?)
3) What's the polarity: centre-positive?
4) Can I see a pic? Your e-store does not have an image of the adapter.
5) Can you supply it with a UK/Ireland plug? Is there a choice of plugs? I'd like to avoid having to use an additional plug adapter if possible.

Thanks,
Ray

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 10:08:21 am »

1) Does the #71509 work with the Mamiya AFD? Your store description refers only to the P1 AF, DF or Mamiya DM.
Yes

2) Where is this mysterious somewhat hidden port?! Is it different to the one I was talking about (the one on the base, where you turn a small disk a quarter-turn to remove a cap and expose the socket?)
That's the one

3) What's the polarity: centre-positive?
No idea

4) Can I see a pic? Your e-store does not have an image of the adapter.
It's one of the items in queue to have a product photo taken and posted. However I do not have any photos at the moment. It's not anything visually special though. Looks like most AC adapters.

5) Can you supply it with a UK/Ireland plug? Is there a choice of plugs? I'd like to avoid having to use an additional plug adapter if possible.
We only have a US Model. Perhaps you could contact a Mamiya rep in your country to inquire about international options.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 10:33:28 am »

Any Mamiya/ Phase One/ Leaf dealer in UK should be able to order it for you if they haven't got it in stock already

You can start with Peartree and Calumet

Let me know if you're having any problems and I'll help you

yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

ondebanks

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 06:46:16 am »

Thanks again Doug, and Yair.

I searched the Peartree and Calumet websites, but it wasn't listed. I was about to email them, when Doug's words came back to me: "Looks like most AC adapters". So wouldn't any 9V AC adapter do?

I remembered I had bought a "universal" AC adapter from my local B&Q a while ago, around €20, with switchable voltages (3V to 12V) and a variety of changeable DC tips for different device sockets. I found the tip that fitted the Mamiya AFD, and set the adapter to 9V. I verified with a Fluke voltmeter that it was providing 9V (9.2V to be exact). Almost there!

All I needed now - before switching anything on! - was to ensure I had the right polarity. Can't take chances with electronics, and astronomical MF repair costs have been well publicised in this forum.

Those of you with a nervous disposition may want to look away now. ;)

The DC socket on the Mamiya body is surrounded by the baseplate, which is attached by 7 small screws. Off came the screws. The socket itself is attached to a vertical circuit board by 2 other screws. Off they came too. Quick look at how the socket is wired: the red wire goes to the central terminal, the black to the exterior. So yes, it is centre positive. (Unless the Mamiya assembly line technicians are colour blind!  :D )

Reassemble everything; plug in the B&Q adapter; switch on the camera: well yes it's functioning normally, but is that because it's running off the batteries or the AC adapter?

Remove the battery cartridge from the grip: the LCD display stays on but it's frozen - it doesn't respond to changed settings and won't fire the shutter. Hmmm. Pull out the AC adapter and the LCD display goes off. Hmmm. Clearly the adapter is providing some power to the camera, but it's not functioning as it should. Could it be that the battery cartridge must be in place in the grip, for the camera to work properly?

Remove 1 battery from the cartridge - to open the circuit so that the batteries cannot provide power; reinsert the cartridge and the AC adapter; switch on. Result!  ;D  The camera is working perfectly off the B&Q adapter alone.

So now I know that the battery cartridge must be in place for the camera to function, even if the batteries themselves are not present. I still don't know whether having a full set of batteries in the grip means that they will be run down even when the AC adapter is used. I could test this over time of course, but for now I'll just remove 1 battery, and keep the rest in the camera, to be sure that it's using pure AC power.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 08:18:58 am by ondebanks »

onilx

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 12:02:00 pm »

so this totally works. 1.2v x 6 = 7.2v

it cost a bit over $6 and replaces the ~$80 external battery box from Mamiya

the centre is positive, the outer is neg

considering that my batter holder fell apart (because, in my opinion, Mamiya made a crazy cheap peace of kit as their battery holder) and wanted $300 to fix it, i went this route.

works fine.

i've also made an extension cord so i can stash it in my pocket .

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 05:45:03 pm »

This thread is very useful but a bit confusing (for me) insofar as like in all good threads there seems to be at least three different correct but contradictory answers to the question, what specifications (V and mAh) does Mamiya/PhaseOne DF require for an external power supply:

ondebanks (Sr. Member):

“So does anyone know the specs of the PE401? All I know is that it provides 9V DC (6 x 1.5V AA batteries, just like the batteries in the grip).”[/i]

onilx (newbie):
“so this totally works. 1.2v x 6 = 7.2v”

PhaseOne home page:
KB 2291 Power Supply for the Phase One 645 AF, DF, and DF+ cameras Last updated: 07-11-2019
Please find below the specifications for using a power supply with a Phase One 645 AF, DF and DF+ cameras: Power Supply DC 9V, 2A (Ampere)

[/b]

Does this mean that the Mamiya DF can accomodate a range of different external power supply voltages (7.2V? 9V?), that specs for converted wall power supply compared to portable power from 6x1.2A batteries may be different, that it is better to play safe with a high amount of mAh rather than too little, or something else that I am missing?

Perhaps battery supply from batteries in general is not as predictablle and constant as it could be in an ideal world and knowing this Mamiya has designed the camera to accept a range of power and block out or shut down when the amount of incoming power exceeds or falls below the camera's capacity? 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 03:36:34 am by lowep »
Pages: [1]   Go Up