Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibrating glossy laptop screen  (Read 4351 times)

NigelC

Calibrating glossy laptop screen
« on: December 07, 2010, 09:32:25 am »

It's almost time to replace old laptop, which is ancillary to my main workstation. Unless I go for MacBook Pro with optional hi res. antiglare screen, which I don't want to do on cost grounds, especially after adding in a copy of Windows 7, all the screens are glossy. Possibly best bet for me is new Dell XPS15 with optional RGBLED HD screen.

I understand that it is possible to successfully calibrate glossy screens - is this correct? - if not why are people using Imacs for photo-editing?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Calibrating glossy laptop screen
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 09:54:42 am »

Its possible, making the usually crappy laptop displays even more crappy by virtue of the glossy screen. But you can calibrate it and its better than nothing.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 10:11:30 am »

If not why are people using Imacs for photo-editing?

Why do many photographers shoot JPG?

Serious color-sensitive editing cannot be done on an iMac with the built in screen. But just like JPG that doesn't mean you get terrible results - just that you could do much better.

Eizo, NEC, and several others make monitors specifically designed for accurate color reproduction for the purpose of proofing other medias (including other monitors).

Such monitors usually come with 3, 4, or 5 year warranties with reasonable expectation that they will continue to perform well for several years beyond that. They are a great investment for any serious photographer.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

NigelC

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 03:36:14 pm »

So I think what you are saying is yes, a glossy screen can be calibrated, but no laptop screen is much good for reasonably accurate manipulation of colour images. Best therefore to regard it as just for showing images or for tethering. That suggests waste of money to spend too much on a laptop in pursuit of something that doesn't exist.   

Roy

• http://
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 06:49:44 pm »

Depending on needs for computing power and portability, for some people a small laptop computer and a good external monitor make a useful combination. I don't see much value in a 17" laptop: not portable, not a good display, expensive. YMMV.
Roy

gamezway

• best price ds card
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 01:31:10 am »

Depending on needs for computing power and portability, for some people a small laptop computer and a good external monitor make a useful combination. I don't see much value in a 17" laptop: not portable, not a good display, expensive. YMMV.
i  agree more. ::)
ps3 break,
R4 CARD buy on gamezway.com

Athena

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 01:49:29 am »

I agree completely.  I spent the bulk of my computer funds on a desktop mac and then just bought a little 13" MBP to schlep around.  I'm quite happy with that decision.  Now if I could just settle on which monitor to replace my old one with and actually find a place to buy it here in Switzerland I'd be elated...

nsnowlin

• http://www.stunowlinimaging.com
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 11:32:45 am »

I agree completely.  I spent the bulk of my computer funds on a desktop mac and then just bought a little 13" MBP to schlep around.  I'm quite happy with that decision.  Now if I could just settle on which monitor to replace my old one with and actually find a place to buy it here in Switzerland I'd be elated...

Two comments:  1) Get the Eizo CG245W which self calibrates.  Mine has as much detail in shadows and highlights as I have ever seen, including on my old Sony Artisan.  2)  Notebooks are sometimes very useful for conferences, schools, showing clients and art directors various images so they do need to have some power, connectivity and screen quality.  It gets expensive when you also would like to have USB-3, HDMI out, Displayport out (for the Eizo), 1900x1080 screen and for ultimate reliability the Intel SSD (reportedly the most reliable, and now with Gen 4 coming soon, even more expense).  If you do not need this sort of functionality then an iPad or Asus Slate might do what you need.

Stu

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 12:05:53 pm »

... why are people using iMacs for photo-editing?

Because it is good enough. Is it perfect?... no. Are there superior screens?... yes. But it is good enough for most people and most practical purposes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up