Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 - Singleweight Matte Paper - options  (Read 1043 times)

Oldfox

Epson 3800 - Singleweight Matte Paper - options
« on: December 06, 2010, 06:48:17 am »

I have a pack of Ilford Galerie Smooth Heavyweight Matte Paper. Normally I use other matte papers, but having the paper I thought I would use them. Ilford recommends using Singleweight Matte Paper as the Media Type. This is logical when you examine the paper, it is quite smooth when comparing it to other matte papers.

However it seems that if you choose Singleweight Matte Paper in Epson 3800, you cannot the choose maximum quality. You can choose between levels 2 and 3 out of 5 (normal 720dpi / fine 720dpi).

I wonder why?

When choosing Enhanced Matte Paper you can choose Print Qualities 3 to 5 (720/1440/2880 dpi). This option will propably give too much ink, so I think it would be ok to change Color Density to -10% (or to ?).

Does anybody know what is the difference in the amount of ink with different media types?

Any other suggestions?

Farmer

Re: Epson 3800 - Singleweight Matte Paper - options
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 05:06:35 pm »

The limits represent the limits of the paper to take ink, basically.  Not just in terms of total quantity (which actually is very similar between resolutions) but in terms of discrete placement and formation of dots due to dot gain.  The finer resolutions are essentially pointless on a paper with high dot gain.

720 should produce excellent results on that paper, and there's really no need to print higher, although you can of course by selecting another matte paper type.  Experimentation would be the key here.
Phil Brown

Oldfox

Re: Epson 3800 - Singleweight Matte Paper - options
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 09:45:27 am »

It seems that it is not possible to print borderless with Singleweight Matte (the manual tells it is possible).

With other matte papers it is possible to print borderless, so I wonder if it is intentional and if so, why?
Pages: [1]   Go Up