Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antelope Canyon  (Read 17472 times)

vandevanterSH

Re: Antelope Canyon
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 11:54:40 pm »

I love driving, we did 3,000 miles on our two week trip, but... that's a lot of driving!
I do to, so the idea of driving a 4-6,000 mile loop is no big deal.  However, for people from the UK, the thought of driving those miles may be a little intimidating.  :>) 

On the positive side, in the area that he is considering seeing, the "attractions" are spaced such that a lot of miles can be driven late morning>early afternoon and/or at night and save the good light for photography.

Steve

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 09:49:29 am »

1) It's a LOT of driving in Lonnie's itinerary. You'll see a lot, but only skim the surface. (don't get me wrong, I love driving, we did 3,000 miles on our two week trip, but... that's a lot of driving!)

Psst.  It's ONLY 1,100 Miles! (1,750 KM) I've done that in 2 days before! ;)

Don't look at it as distance.  Look at it as time.  That's why I posted the times between destination.  The speed limits here in lots of places are high, (75 mph/120 Kph) so you can get between places rather quickly.  I assume staying at each of the location listed.  The longest day is 5 hours, and that's from Page to Las Vegas on the last day, and that could be shortened since I gave 2 days in Page.  Every other day has 3 hours or less of drive time.  That's really not that much.  

Here's the Route in Google Maps...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Las+Vegas,+NV&daddr=springdale+ut+to:Bryce+Canyon+UT+to:Torrey,+UT+to:MOab+Ut+to:Bluff+UT+to:Page+Az+to:Las+Vegas+Nv&hl=en&geocode=FdYQJwIdMJoi-SnRffWkgre-gDGjebPV5tXMOg%3BFQd1NwIdacdD-SnxHlELNo3KgDF6CLeupWSy2Q%3BFZwpPgId8XRQ-SkPGqBET2g1hzFi_Ul6bDecdQ%3BFfVkSAIdR-Fb-SnBMVEVjv9JhzF2aCriFGNOfQ%3BFQSVTAId8WZ4-SmNLbia5eFHhzEtxNXxerEyCw%3BFV3qOAIdVF94-SnriKxwzuE5hzEzE9yHbq7I-w%3BFSJGMwIdp1Fb-SmPdc39WxM0hzE5TjhTUS-Ybg%3BFdYQJwIdMJoi-SnRffWkgre-gDGjebPV5tXMOg&mra=ls&sll=37.553025,-112.25867&sspn=5.294796,8.481445&ie=UTF8&ll=36.368222,-111.137695&spn=10.750011,16.962891&t=h&z=6
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 09:58:46 am by Lonnie Utah »

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 10:22:02 am »

The same route I took to show some people around a few years ago except that I know you meant to show Bluff to Kayenta via Monument Valley. The 1100 miles is comfortable with 2 or 3 drivers. There'd be a 2 or 3 hundred miles of side-trips. Altho the original poster is starting from Vegas, these days I come into Salt Lake City Airport which is more copacetic altogether.

With only 1 week I'd prefer to stick around Bryce,Zion,Escalante,Page, Grand Canyon.

Piboy

• http://samwardphoto.com
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 02:45:48 pm »

I think all of the advice is great.  I just did a 950 mile trip from Phoenix to Page, Monument Valley, and Grand Canyon this October in 4 1/2 days before a business meeting back in Phoenix.  The books mentioned are fantastic.  I used guides in the slot canyons ($225 for 8 hrs with Carol Bigthumb and Gabriel) and Monument Valley (Tom Phillips $225 for Sunset and Sunrise shoot).  Although pricey I thought well worth it as they knew what they were doing and clearly are tours specific to photographers.  They got you into places off the beaten path and really know how to follow the light.  For the Grand Canyon and some shorter stops such as Crater NP, Sedona, and Navajo NM I did on my own.  If I had another day or two I would have explored a bit below the rim of the canyon.  Have a great trip!!!  October is a fantastic time to go.  Less crowds(I had Horseshoe bend to myself one morning) and great light.
Cheers,
Sam Ward
samwardphoto.com

PS Some shots of the trip are on my website.
Sam W.
samwardphoto.com

ejnewman

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 02:50:27 pm »

All great information...

I will get the books recommended. One thing to consider, which perhaps I should have originally posted is that I will be with my other half, so although the trip is an obvious chance to get shots, it's a bit of a long journey for her to come on if it's just to follow me around in the car and on foot day after day.

The miles certainly are not a problem, I've done similar before but what you guys have done for me is give me all the bits of information needed to create my own itinerary, which I will do with the above considerations.

Thanks all.

NashvilleMike

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 07:29:23 pm »

One thing to consider if you're other half is coming along - some of these locations can be quite romantic. If you've never been to the Grand Canyon North Rim, a sunrise at Point Imperial, along with, perhaps, a bit of jewelry for said other half, can be tremendously romantic, if that's your sort of thing.

A few things to note: If you're even remotely near Arches, DO NOT MISS going up to Dead Horse Point state park - if I had a dime every time I run into tourists who just stopped by on a whim and heard them say "wow, this is the best view of the trip and I almost skipped it", I'd have one of those fancy MFDB's all the venture capitalists at this site have :)

Have a great trip!

-mike

DesW

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 01:36:01 am »

Hi, Horseshoe Bend is worth stopping and shooting particularly at sunset--there is the WAVE just before Page-but I think you need to get a Guide now to visit-no?

The most visual Antelope Canyon is the  Small end --the one where the French tourists  came to grief--Bit tight to fit down the steps but well worth it for pics especially.

Watch the Cops-- cardboard cutouts in the parked patrol cars are a hoot--but if they do the job!

Good Shooting,

Des

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 09:25:10 am »

Hi, Horseshoe Bend is worth stopping and shooting particularly at sunset--there is the WAVE just before Page-but I think you need to get a Guide now to visit-no?

You need a VERY difficult permit to get to the wave, complicated by the fact that you have to apply months in advance and October is a very popular time to visit that site.  I've lived here 10 years, and never made it there.  

http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/arolrsmain/paria/coyote_buttes/permits.html

Nye Simmons

• http://simmonsphotoarts.com
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2010, 02:19:08 pm »

In mid October you will be a bit early for best fall color in Zion but about right for what aspens change color in Bryce - a bit early for color in Escalante - the sun is still high enough for decent light in Lower Antelope - and if you are there for the first time you will likely want to spend time there - you need sun - and since you need the middle hours of the day for best bounce light the only other options that time of the day are scouting. Horseshoe Bend is the low hanging fruit for early / late light in the area. 

Jackson Bridges is a local photo guide who has 4WD and can get you into areas you might not see on your own on a 1st time trip. He is not cheap but does a good job and knows the area well. Google and you should find his web site. PM or e-mail if you can't.

Many of the prime sites involve overland (no trails or signs) hiking such as Coyote Buttes and / or 4WD access with deep sand and the need for a capable vehicle, some 4WD driving / off road experience and the occasional need to dig out or winch out your vehicle. 

You have lots of time to plan and surf. You may add my name to the list for more info if I can help.

Nye

simmonsphotoarts.com
Nye Simmons

http://simmonsphotoarts.com

ain't no money in photography, that's what sets the photographer free - I've had all the freedom I can stand
(with apologies to Guy Clark)

francois

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 05:59:40 am »

Jackson Bridges is a local photo guide who has 4WD and can get you into areas you might not see on your own on a 1st time trip. He is not cheap but does a good job and knows the area well. Google and you should find his web site. PM or e-mail if you can't.

Jackson Bridges can be contacted either via his website ( http://www.jacksonbridges.com ) or via Overland Canyon Tours ( http://www.overlandcanyontours.com/ ).
Francois

ghaynes754

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2011, 12:02:38 am »

I did Antelope Canyon in early May of 2010.  I was blown away by the crowds.  There were probably 400+ people in the Upper Slot and I saw at least 50-60 cars in the parking lot for the Lower Antelope.  The last time I was there was probably 15 years ago.  Went to the Navajo tribal office, hired a guide, drove my vehicle following him to the Upper and he said adios.  My wife and I were the only ones in the slot as the sun did its wonderful dance.  Crossed the road and went to Lower, ropes and primitive ladders to the bottom.  Saw one other photographer.  I wish for quieter times.

Thank god for photoshop.  You can still get good images but may need to touch up and remove offending people.  I asked if there was any time of the year with less folks and the answer I got was a simple NO.  With the narrow window of time when the sun shines down in the classic sun shafts everyone is there at the same time.

I saw a couple of the 'photo' tours.  About 20-30 people in a group, lots of shouting to other groups to not walk through the scene, tossing of sand to highlight the sunbeams.  Wonder what it would cost to 'buy' the entire day, just you and nature?

Jokingly the only thing that would be better is to install a moving sidewalk that stops periodically for photos. :)

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 09:44:18 am »

I did Antelope Canyon in early May of 2010.  I was blown away by the crowds.  There were probably 400+ people in the Upper Slot and I saw at least 50-60 cars in the parking lot for the Lower Antelope. 

Antelope (and Monument Valley) seem to be two of the places where folks flock to take exactly the same image as 10 gazillion other people who also lack originality.   It's one reason that antelope just doesn't appeal to me.  There are so many awesomely beautiful place here in the Southwest, that I'll let the crowds have the iconic places, and I'll shoot lesser know ones and get images that are all my own....

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up