Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Antelope Canyon  (Read 17471 times)

ejnewman

Antelope Canyon
« on: December 05, 2010, 05:02:09 pm »

Hi all

I am planning a trip from the UK going to Las Vegas for a week, followed by the Grand Canyon for a week. I was wondering if anybody could recommend accommodation near Antelope Canyon? I guess Page is the best place to stay?

I am after some good shots of Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon, we intend on renting a car in Las Vegas and driving through north of the Grand Canyon to Antelope Canyon, then possibly driving south of the Grand Canyon with an extra night on the south rim.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Elliot

vandevanterSH

Re: Antelope Canyon
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 06:19:55 pm »

What time of year?  Quite a few places to stay in Page; easy drive to Upper and Lower Canyon and to Horseshoe Bend.

Steve

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 10:54:48 pm »

Page is the place to eat and sleep. it's just a few minutes from Antelope, Horseshoe, etc. Lots of lodging, food, etc.

Have fun shooting in the slots!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

dreed

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 01:14:13 am »

With 2 weeks, you should consider a few more stops around "the loop" and including a few of the below:

Zion National Park
Bryce Canyon National Park
The Great Escarpment

Near Moab (UT):
Arches National Park
Canyonlands National Park

Near Mexican Hat (UT):
Valley of the Gods
Mexican Hat
Mogi Dugway
Monument Valley

The others are:
the slot canyons
Grand Canyon

.. that is unless you've already seen some of the above and/or will be going back to see that which you miss.

It is really quite unfair that such enormous natural beauty is all in this relatively small area.

francois

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 02:05:31 am »

Elliot ,
I would also suggest that you look into Laurent Martres books. They offer very good advices for Southwest photo locations.

On Amazon.com:
Photographing the Southwest: Volume 1--Southern Utah (http://tinyurl.com/273nc5v)
Photographing the Southwest: Volume 2--Arizona (http://tinyurl.com/26682vs)

On Amazon.co.uk:
Photographing the Southwest: Volume 1--Southern Utah (http://tinyurl.com/2d9t85h)
Photographing the Southwest: Volume 2--Arizona (http://tinyurl.com/2aafbkf)

Have fun!
Francois

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 10:14:39 am »

I would also suggest that you look into Laurent Martres books.

^^^This x 1,000.  I think the grand canyon and antelope canyon are in the Arizona version.

I also agree that if you've got two weeks, you should also throw in Bryce and Zion.  You can do Zion in a long day from Vegas, but personally, I'd subtract 1 day from the vegas end and stop there on your way to Page.  (About 48 hours in Vegas is all I can stand.)  If you are going in winter, Bryce can be very cold, so be prepared.  

Closer to Las Vegas, there is also Valley of Fire State Park.  
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 10:22:21 am by Lonnie Utah »

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 10:51:51 am »

I didn't enjoy Antelope, maybe because of the crowds:

Horseshoe's nice:

(Image of me by John Hauschildt)

There are more enjoyable slot canyons up in the Escalante region, eg Spooky if you're limber:

Antelope's plus is convenience, minus is atmosphere as you need to take the guided tour. The drive along Highway 12 from Bryce to Escalante and beyond to Capitol Reef is one of the great drives.  I too recommend the Laurent Martres books for good ideas.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 05:00:05 pm by markadams99 »

vandevanterSH

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 04:59:43 pm »

The Upper Canyon is the tourist mecca, worth doing but might be difficult to photograph due to crowds.  Lower canyon is a much better,  fewer people,  and unless things have changed, you pay the fees and go in for a long as you want.

Steve

NashvilleMike

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 11:19:00 pm »

Page is definitely the place to stay and there are plenty of options. You can look for hotels and reviews on tripadvisor.com as some places are better than others.

As for your trip, personally I have a distinct preference for the North Rim of the Grand Canyon - do both Point Imperial and Cape Royal, particularly Point Imperial at sunrise (be very alert on the road out there at that hour though) - once you've done that, IMO, the South Rim and the crowds/hassles just aren't worth much of an extended visit. I'd humbly suggest you orient your time a bit more to the wonderful area between Page and Kanab, UT along hwy 89 instead of investing heavily in the South Rim. Wahweap Hoodoo's is a decent hike (9 miles round trip, offhand can't remember my kilometer conversion) out near Big Water, UT, which is just past the dam a little bit on the way west on hwy 89 from page, and then, if you can score a permit, you've got "The Wave" 30 miles down the road further, the rimrock hoodoo's just before that, and if you're truly adventurous, and can hire a guide with 4WD capability, the White Pocket. Combine that with Antelope and Horseshoe Bend and IMO you'd have a better time than spending a lot of time at the South Rim, but to be honest, the whole bloody area is fantastic and you likely will have a great trip regardless. And we haven't even begun to discuss Zion, Bryce, or the rest of the state!

Good luck and safe travels!

- Mike

ps: another strong recommendation for the Laurent Matres books - you'll want both the Arizona and Utah ones.
pps: You might want to check out Jon Ortners book "Canyon Wilderness of the Southwest" - I picked up a copy of this in Kanab and the photography contained in that book totally changed my ideas on which areas I will concentrate on the next time I'm in the area.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 04:16:46 am »

^^^This x 1,000.  I think the grand canyon and antelope canyon are in the Arizona version.

I also agree that if you've got two weeks, you should also throw in Bryce and Zion.  You can do Zion in a long day from Vegas, but personally, I'd subtract 1 day from the vegas end and stop there on your way to Page.  (About 48 hours in Vegas is all I can stand.)  If you are going in winter, Bryce can be very cold, so be prepared.  

Closer to Las Vegas, there is also Valley of Fire State Park.  
I'll put forward another vote for Bryce. Fantastic place.

Jeremy

vandevanterSH

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 05:29:49 pm »

I'll put forward another vote for Bryce. Fantastic place.
Agree and it's located such that you can tie it in to other places such as Zion and arrive at Bryce in the afternoon,  get the light,  stay at Ruby's and get sunrise the next day and then hit the road to next destination.  If you are going in the Summer, forget the Grand Canyon South Rim and just plan on the North Rim.  All of the "good stuff", in American road trip terms, is in the same area. Two weeks for traveling....Las Vegas, Zion, Bryce, Page (Antelope, Horseshoe), Monument Valley(stay at the hotel in the valley), North Rim....piece of cake!!!

Steve

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 07:08:22 pm »

Antelope's plus is convenience, minus is atmosphere as you need to take the guided tour.

And the cost for a photo specific tour can be kinda pricey....

ejnewman

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 06:51:39 am »

Thankyou all very much for all the detailed insider info, I certainly wouldn't get that kind of advice at my local travel agent.

The plan is:
6th-11th Oct - Las Vegas for a stag-do, (hopefully wont involve any tigers, or Mike Tyson's)
11th-17th - National Parks time (11th+17th will be driving days)
18th-20th - Las Vegas again

I guess what I need to work out is:
A) do I run around as many locations as possible in the time I have, giving the sheer number of beauty spots.
B) do I focus on 1 or 2 locations, study them, and become more at one with the environment, light, and composition.

I do have a couple of questions:

Antelope Canyon - I can only go their with a guided tour? There is no way I can visit on my own?
North Rim - I am still a little in the dark with the base of the GC, I hear there are Donkeys that take you down?

B-Ark

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 07:28:54 am »

The roads to the north rim of the Grand Canyon shut down in the winter, but I think you'll be OK in October.
Mule trips into the bottom of the canyon are from the south rim only. There is a "resort" (Phantom Ranch) there, but need to book many, many months in advance.
AFAIK, antelope is tours only.
If you want slot canyons. the Escalante area might be your best bet. But you need to be ready to hike longish distances.

francois

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 08:16:32 am »

…Antelope Canyon - I can only go their with a guided tour? There is no way I can visit on my own?…
If you choose the Lower Antelope canyon, then you can go on your own. For the Upper Antelope Canyon, you go to the parking and then take the "official" pickup trucks (pictured above).
Francois

vandevanterSH

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 10:38:04 am »

A) do I run around as many locations as possible in the time I have, giving the sheer number of beauty spots.
I would vote for a).  Sightseeing and photography.  Plan to drive after the sun goes down and during mid-day and try to see and photograph a much stuff as possible;  if this is your first trip to this part of the US.  As an example, you can get to Page in early afternoon, do some recon at Antelope and see how many tour buses are at the Upper canyon and decide if it will be worth the trouble.  Get evening light at Horseshoe Bend, eat Mexican food, get up early for sunrise at Horseshoe Bend +- Upper Canyon but a self-guided several hours at Lower Canyon then off to Monument valley for evening light and sunrise etc..etc...etc.

Steve

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 11:08:15 am »

The plan is:
6th-11th Oct - Las Vegas for a stag-do, (hopefully wont involve any tigers, or Mike Tyson's)
11th-17th - National Parks time (11th+17th will be driving days)
18th-20th - Las Vegas again

You can be in Zion National Park in about 2.5-3 hours from Downtown Lost Wages, err I mean Las Vegas. ;)  Page and Bryce are about 1.5-2 hours from Zion's east entrance (albeit in opposite directions).

While ambitious, it would not be unfeasible to do the following.

11th Las Vegas to Springdale, UT (Zion, NP) (3 hours drive time from Las Vegas to Zion)
12th Ruby's Inn (Bryce Canyon) (2 hours drive time from Zion to Bryce)
13th Torrey, UT (Capitol Reef)  (3 hours drive time from Bryce to Torrey, and it's a wonderful 3 hours. If you do this, Calf Creek falls is a MUST stop.)
14th Moab, UT (Canyonlands, NP or Arches, NP (For first timers, I'd say arches)) (3.5 hour drive time from Torrey to Moab)
15th Kyenta, AZ,  Bluff or Mexican Hat, UT (Monument Valley) (3 hours from Moab to Monument Valley, 30 more mins to Kyenta)
16th-17th Page, Az (Grand Canyon and antelope).  (90 mins from Kyenta to Page, 4.5-5.5 hours from Page to Las Vegas)

Or you could power all the way to Bryce on the first day, and add Springdale/Zion, NP on the last day of the circle.  

There would be some long days but you'd see ALOT of the SW US....

If you need any help route finding (which highways to take, PM or email me.)

Good luck,
L
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:15:40 am by Lonnie Utah »

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 12:56:22 pm »

Lonnie's itinerary is superb. I first visited this part of the world (I'm from London) straight after a trip in the Himalayas, so you'd think I'd be a bit blase' about the SW Utah landscape. I was smitten, it is more wonderful the more you get to know it. Lonnie gives good advice on Calf Creek Falls (a pleasant, easy hike to an amazing photo-location) and to Arches, which is right by Moab and an efficient way to see several worldclass landscapes. It's a long drive but wonderful. I'd recommend going for it. Now that I've been back a few times, I tend to focus on certain areas, Escalante/Boulder especially. I could throw in loads of ideas, but I'll just mention 1 (if you have a 4wd) and that's the Cathedral Valley circuit east of Torrey. Allow most of a day.

Couple of points:

1. Slot canyon light means when the sun is high.
2. A lovely and efficient way from Page to Scenic Highway 12 and Bryce is the Cottonwood Canyon Road north from route 89 via Kodachrome Basin State Park.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:01:30 pm by markadams99 »

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 01:15:47 pm »

is the Cottonwood Canyon Road north from route 89 via Kodachrome Basin State Park.

The last I heard that road was closed.  Heavy flooding washed the road out in several places.  By next Oct however, it's anyone guess....

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 11:42:48 pm »

I spent two weeks in Arizon and Utah towards the end of October, and was there a year ago as well. Lots of GREAT ideas from people in this thread. I'll add just a few things:

1) It's a LOT of driving in Lonnie's itinerary. You'll see a lot, but only skim the surface. (don't get me wrong, I love driving, we did 3,000 miles on our two week trip, but... that's a lot of driving!)
2) Scenic Byway 12 is un-frickin-believable... once you get past Escalante :)

Honestly, if I had your amount of time, I would just do the classic loop of Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, and Zion, with a little side drive out east of Escalante to see the most impressive parts of Scenic Byway 12. Zion at that time of year is incredible and you really need more than one day to shoot it otherwise you'll kick yourself later. Bryce Canyon and Grand Canyon need an overnight stay so you can experience sunrise and sunset at each place.

Photos from my most recent trip are at http://www.danecreekphotography.com/Southwest2010.html. Photos from the trip last year are at http://www.danecreekphotography.com/southwest.html.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up