Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GH2 jello effect in ETC  (Read 4735 times)

professorgb

GH2 jello effect in ETC
« on: December 05, 2010, 12:26:13 am »

I'm not convinced that the ETC mode is necessarily a great thing.  I noticed in the posted video that at ISO equivalent 640, there was major jello artifacting.  This may be due to greater camera movement in that segment (the wind appeared to be buffeting the camera and tripod).  But, I would not be happy with that video for anything other than casual use.  

I think that the downsampling used in normal mode must suppress the jello effect, but that using full pixel data from ESP mode exposes it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 12:30:11 am by professorgb »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: GH2 jello effect in ETC
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 10:56:57 am »

I just did a very quick & dirty test of the same high contrast subject with vertical lines - a window in my kitchen :D. I panned quickly left and right.

The same framing of subject using the ETC mode actually showed less jello-cam effect than the normal 'full-frame' method. Both instances showed some jello-cam but the full frame was actually far worse. I was of course intentionally trying to create the effect.

Thinking about possible reasons for this, it strikes me that there may well be less scan lag over the 1920 x 1080 recorded reduced area of the sensor in ETC mode and far more over the full size of the sensor.

FWIW - Certainly my test showed the opposite of your observation.

professorgb

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 02:48:38 pm »

Interesting, and certainly in contrast to what I saw in the posted video.  Have you tried a quick jerk up and down?

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 11:08:50 am »

I went back and re-shot a test this morning. Vertical Jello cam is harder to see than horizontal since the distortion is compression and expansion rather than lateral distortion - but it is there. And the same results as my previous test hold: ETC mode gives considerably less distortion. In fact I was again struck by the difference between the same shot framed as full frame and with ETC.

I would go as far as to recommend that ETC mode be used to avoid the jello cam effect as much as the camera allows!

JeffVo

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 09:27:40 pm »

Chris, what software are you using to transcode the Files (and to what). Also, what settings in camera are you getting best results with?  I'm sure there are a few of us looking for best practices with this new little gem  :) (Just  got mine today). Sorry to go a hair OT. -J

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 10:02:05 pm »

I am using Apple's Final Cut Pro: Log & Transfer to Apple Pro Res 422 (standard)

As far as settings, it is a matter of personal preference. I like the Cinema settings: 24P with Sharpness -2 & Saturation -2. These last two can always be added back in post. And this is as yet very early days for me - I still have not really gone through everything in the manual  ;) let alone experimented with all the settings and lenses

jogiba

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 07:16:56 pm »

Here is a great use of the ETC feature with GH2 and the new 100-300mm and Canon 400mm F5.6.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaq2iJwr3Pg

Same video on Vimeo:
Pages: [1]   Go Up