Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900: what to check in an used printer  (Read 5176 times)

VitOne

Epson 7900: what to check in an used printer
« on: December 04, 2010, 06:26:36 pm »

Tomorrow I will have to check an Epson 7900, used 1 year, with some of the 110ml original cartdriges still installed. It should be like new.
I would like to know if you have any suggestions about what to check to make sure that the printer is in good shape.
I will start with nozzle checks and cleanings if needed.
I will do some black patch printing (to check if they have any problems).
Any other idea?
Thanks.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Epson 7900: what to check in an used printer
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 11:08:06 am »

Ask about the service issues, if any, check the conditions of all the systems via the info display, pull the waste tank and nose around inside with a flashlight, look under the the body of the printer for any drips or other leakage issue.

Of course, run a test print of a favorite file and see what you think!

My last two printers were both used Epson printers and I've had no issues with either. One I bought 3 years ago; the other 5 years ago.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 11:46:54 am »

Don't know about the 7900, but when I print an Auto Nozzle Check with my 9880 I also get a report on total paper and ink usage, sort of like the odometer on a car.  Two years down the road I'm up to 17,500 ml of ink and 136,000 cm of paper on my current printer, and it's still going strong.

However, there is also a deeply buried menu item that tells me how soon I have to replace the docking station, which is the assembly that contains the head wipers etc and I believe I'm pretty close to having to change that thing, ugh!  Hope it doesn't require a visit from Epson Boy.  That's sort of like the condition of the tires on a used car.  So be sure to kick the tires.

There are also some menu items to print head alignment checks.  Might be a good idea to run some of those.  A printer with bad carriage bearings or such might not be able to print a successfully compensated alignment check.  And of course, listen carefully to the sound of the printer when it's printing.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 11:53:25 am by bill t. »

VitOne

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 05:14:53 pm »

Thanks to both of you for the nice suggestions.

I can't find how to see total ink and total paper used.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 06:24:18 pm »

I can't find how to see total ink and total paper used.
Well, if the printer still has the original 150ml starter cartridges, then very little has been printed.  Very little LK ink is left after installation so if that indeed is the original then I can't imagine more than a 100 prints or so, depending on the size.

You can see how many pages are printed by selecting Menu -> Printer Status -> Total Prints.

VitOne

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 09:54:51 am »

Well, if the printer still has the original 150ml starter cartridges, then very little has been printed.  Very little LK ink is left after installation so if that indeed is the original then I can't imagine more than a 100 prints or so, depending on the size.

You can see how many pages are printed by selecting Menu -> Printer Status -> Total Prints.

Thanks. The print counter is 1000+ prints. The owner told me that he used the printer to print some pictuers (few) and mainly some low-qualilty BW posters. Anyway I did some print test and it seems to be fine. What do you think that could be a good price for a printer without warranty? Here in Italy the new 7900 sells for about 3500 euros with a 110ml complete set of inks.

davidh202

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 10:20:01 am »

Obviously the original carts were saved and put back in(Epson even recommends it in the Manual in case the printer needs to be transported), as they never would have lasted for that many prints.
Do a few tests and if nozzle checks are ok, and the price is reasonable, then just hope you have a long happy relationship with your new printer ;-)
Any used piece of equipment is more or less a gamble.You must assume some risk.

VitOne

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 11:26:21 am »

I am sorry, the counter was about 400 prints, the 1000+ prints was what the owner told me. He guarantees that the carts are the original ones because he never changed them. I have used another 7900 (not mine) and this one seems like new. The only problem is that I can smell a little bit the smoke (smoking working area...) and I don't like it at all. Anyway the price seems good (1500 euro), I will try to do some other test and if everything works fine I will buy it.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 02:53:41 pm »

I am sorry, the counter was about 400 prints, the 1000+ prints was what the owner told me.

Anyway the price seems good (1500 euro), I will try to do some other test and if everything works fine I will buy it.

I suppose it's still possible he has the original cartridges in it, although the LK goes very fast so even 400 prints is pretty suspect.  But the counter only tells how many prints, not how much media, and he easily could have been printing small prints.  To be honest printing it that little actually makes it more concerning than if it had been a little more used.

Buying it without warranty ... a little iffy but sounds like it's printed enough to identify any manufacturing defects.  Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up