Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pirelli calendar 2011  (Read 23303 times)

fredjeang

Pirelli calendar 2011
« on: December 04, 2010, 05:08:53 pm »

Guess who shooted the next Pirelli? Karl Lagarfeld. As a photograph this time.
He worked with Hasselblad and frankly for what I've seen, he did a great job based on mythology.

Well, I knew he was shooting, one day in Paris while he was still at Chanel he went crazy about a photographer, took the Pentax 645 and shooted the all campaing himself.

Maybe we are going to see Lagarfeld in the scene now, and he is prety good behind his superficial mascarade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X65pp9qOMLo
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 05:13:51 pm by fredjeang »

KAHA

• www.davidpoata.com
Re: Pirelli calendar 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 11:28:18 pm »

Karl Lagerfeld + High Fashion + Pirelli = Très Magnifique  8)

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 04:45:36 am »

Thanks for the link, Fred; my first coffee of the day (I'm supposed to stay with one) is now twenty minutes late!

I also have a new favourite face: Bianca Balti!

There's something about Karl that I just can't stomach. It might be envy, but I think I could envy many others before him, so I'll discount that - but those silly gloves, that wearing of suits in a 'relax' tense situation, it all smacks of dischord to me and boy, does it work commercially!

The mythological theme has been done by Pirelli before: by Barry Lategan in '88 with balletic references; in '91 by Clive Arrowsmith with references to mythological historical characters and, again, by him in '92 with Chinese references of more in that manner.

It smacks of a ready-to-use solution, when the best (for me) remains the freestyle of Moon, Giacobetti and Feurer. More often than not, the others look to have have been too art directed, too stiff and totally in thrall to the aura of the big deal. Avedon produced great studio photography, as has Lagerfeld, but somehow, most miss the essence of soul that my first three choices had in abundance.

I think the job has simply outgrown the ability of most to come up with an honest version: it's all super-hype today, too much perfection. And that's deadly.

But, a great video for snappers to see!

Incidentally, was a time you could log on to the Pirelli calendar site and see the entire range; now, it's blocked without key codes... how sweet! Keep the peasants hungry at the door. Goodness me, do I need that first coffee!

Thanks again.

Rob C

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 04:56:45 am »

Spot the kit:

What's an S2 doing there?!
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 05:05:17 am »

It is also a H with a P back in there.

Thanks for the link.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 07:21:44 am »

It is also a H with a P back in there.

Yes but those are for shooting:-)
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Eric Kellerman

• Eric Kellerman Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 01:53:59 pm »

Oh dear me. Not promising, this Lagerfeld stuff. If only Pirelli had asked Serge Lutens to do a calendar based on Greek mythology, we might have seen something worthwhile.

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 03:17:22 pm »

I nearly puked onto my laptop when i heard Karl is the 'Einstein of high fashion". Does this girl really mean Albert Einstein, the theoretical physicist and philosopher or maybe Alfred Einstein, the musicologist?

another great moment is at around minute 8, when someone of the back entourage encourages Karl: 'That's beautiful art! Gorgeous, Karl!'
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

bcooter

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 03:42:46 pm »

Does this girl really mean Albert Einstein, the theoretical physicist and philosopher or maybe Alfred Einstein, the musicologist?

It always makes professional photographers angry when anyone steps into their world.  A lot of it is justified, but Mr. Lagerfeld really isn't a photographer that is out there bidding on jobs, trying to make his bottom line off of photography.

Only him and his assistants really know what he brings to the room.

It doesn't really matter, but you can't deny his success in the cut throat world of fashion design.

The flip side is it's kind of sad to see the Pirelli Calender shot by a non photographer.  It use to be reserved for the best few photographers in the world and celebrity status wasn't the only objective.

IMO

BC

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 05:11:43 pm »

I don't blame KL at all; if somebody makes the offer, why should he refuse? As I recall, he started doing fashion pics because he had a disagreement with Helmut Newton who was doing a shoot for him and, foolishly perhaps, suggested that if he didn't agree with the direction the pics were going, perhaps he should shoot his own? He did. This was many years ago, so he's been snapping for quite a while.

If there's a problem, and I believe there is, it must lie in Italy.

As I have mentioned before, I believe Pirelli lost the page when it abandoned Derek Forsyth many moons back and took on another AD; then, they returned to Forsyth, but once such a faith is broken, how do you repair something so fundamental? I no longer have any idea if Forsyth is still working, though he did have nice offices on Carlton Hill in London, NW8, not far from Abbey Road, as I recall from a long long time ago. He also used the break to do damned nice calendars for Mintex.

But the problem as I see it, apart from politics, is that the thing about themes is a helluva restriction on the work of a creative photographer. Themes are a way of selling the idea to the client, but after all these years I'd have imagined that within the Pirelli culture nothing needs selling to anyone any more; there is going to a calendar and that's that. The days of stopping the production for a while are also probably over. For God's sake, give your chosen snapper carte blanche for a change!

Rob C

ziocan

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 03:22:12 am »

G
Well, I knew he was shooting, one day in Paris while he was still at Chanel he went crazy about a photographer, took the Pentax 645 and shooted the all campaing himself.

Maybe we are going to see Lagarfeld in the scene now, and he is prety good behind his superficial mascarade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X65pp9qOMLo
He still is at Chanel and it was a look book where he replaced a photographer, to be correct.
And he has shot with Phase a lot as well. There are plenty of back stage footage and also his last movie, shows him using Phase and Mamola body.
He has been in the scene as a photographer since the early 90ies, shooting for Vogue Paris, W and such, BTW.

It is ironic that Largelfield being someone that really knows what he is doing, he is very good at doing Chanel, Fendi and taking photos, but not very successful at designing his own collection.
I met him a couple of times and he is quite a nice person to deal with.

ziocan

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 03:35:54 am »

I was involved as a consultant on a Pirelli calendar prod once, and I can see how they can take some odd decisions about photography and art these days.
Though they still are a nice company to deal with.

Michael Janson and Mario Sorrenti are IMO, two of the current photographers who are suitable for a Pirelli, but I'm afraid they still are too young for being considered established artist by Italian standards.LOL

Next year Pirelli will be putting shoes on the Formula 1 and GP2 cars on both world championships.
That is what they are good at, let's see if they will be up to their tradition.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 04:46:40 am »

I wish Pirelly would hire Leonard Nimoy.

Image linked from: http://www.rmichelson.com/Artist_Pages/Nimoy/MaxBeaut/8.htm

Three Graces
The Full Body Project
Leonard Nimoy
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 04:48:48 am by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

DanielStone

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 01:36:08 pm »

I wish Pirelly would hire Leonard Nimoy.

Three Graces
The Full Body Project
Leonard Nimoy

Talk about TIRES ;), that photograph will get the point across :)

-Dan

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 04:51:29 pm »

Oh no, a non-pro getting paid for photographs! I couldn't care less if the photos were taken by a monkey, as long as they're good.

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 05:39:04 pm »

Trouble is, I was going to have an early night but got hooked here...

Thanks for an enjoyable link!

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 05:43:32 pm »

Trouble is, I was going to have an early night but got hooked here...

Thanks for an enjoyable link!

Rob C
Same happened to me
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:31:06 am by fredjeang »

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 10:41:26 pm »

He's not a bad photographer. I'd say he's quite good. What bothers me is what best photographers can do better being snatched by someone who makes 100 times more money for his connections (most likely).
Eduardo

amsp

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 02:06:19 am »

I'll admit that it pisses me off when celebs use their money and connections to take away work from more deserving people who have spent a lifetime perfecting their art and get to the point they're at. There's been a whole bunch of people like this in photography lately. It's not too hard making good photographs when money is no issue and you can pay the best talent to do everything but snap the picture for you, that's why it's even more disappointing that Karl's photos for Pirelli are mediocre at best.

ctz

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 04:29:01 am »

it's even more disappointing that Karl's photos for Pirelli are mediocre at best.

+1!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up