Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 Express 6 vs Basic 5  (Read 4658 times)

RS-Colo

C1 Express 6 vs Basic 5
« on: December 04, 2010, 10:27:32 am »

I just completed a very extensive evaluation of C1 in October. I found that the basic version of release 5 had all I needed. I was going to purchase the product but now release 6 is out. Can anyone tell me if there are ANY features in C1 Basic 5 that are not in C1 Express 6. I spent a lot of time and I don't really want to have to do it again. They may not even let me evaluate again. BTW, I have started evaluating DxO. Thanks.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: C1 Express 6 vs Basic 5
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 10:35:00 am »

I just completed a very extensive evaluation of C1 in October. I found that the basic version of release 5 had all I needed. I was going to purchase the product but now release 6 is out. Can anyone tell me if there are ANY features in C1 Basic 5 that are not in C1 Express 6. I spent a lot of time and I don't really want to have to do it again. They may not even let me evaluate again. BTW, I have started evaluating DxO. Thanks.

Capture One 6 can be trialed for 30 days for free (fully functional) regardless of whether or not you've done evaluations of previous versions.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

RS-Colo

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 11:59:09 am »

Doing another eval is all fine and good, but someone somewhere (probably at Phase One) should be able to just tell me if there is anything missing. I already did a major eval. If there is reluctance to do so I am worried there are things missing. I have seen too many marketing departments say " We are giving away too much. Too many people aren't buying our expensive product. Drop some features this time." The better way is to just add more good stuff to the full product and not leave people without previous functionality in the entry product. Thanks for your answer about the trial. After I finnish with my eval of DxO, if it doesn't do what I need, I'll probably test Bibble. Then I'll try testing the new C1 if all else doesn't work.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 12:25:08 pm »

Doing another eval is all fine and good, but someone somewhere (probably at Phase One) should be able to just tell me if there is anything missing. I already did a major eval. If there is reluctance to do so I am worried there are things missing. I have seen too many marketing departments say " We are giving away too much. Too many people aren't buying our expensive product. Drop some features this time." The better way is to just add more good stuff to the full product and not leave people without previous functionality in the entry product. Thanks for your answer about the trial. After I finnish with my eval of DxO, if it doesn't do what I need, I'll probably test Bibble. Then I'll try testing the new C1 if all else doesn't work.

Not reluctant. It's just my company serves a market place that almost exclusively uses the pro version, so I simply do not keep up with the Express/Standard version of the program. I would be equally unable to tell you anything at all about Photoshop Elements.

Hopefully you don't read the above as rude - we all have different needs and if you only need the standard version this is neither good, nor bad, it just is. I just wanted to give you an explanation of why I couldn't help other than the fact there is a free trial and this comparison of pro vs. non pro which as you've noted on other forums can be easily misunderstood as it references several features which are present in Capture One Express but enhanced in Capture One Pro (e.g. the levels tool is in both versions but allows for individual channel adjustment in the pro version).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

RS-Colo

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 01:24:10 pm »

Not at all rude. I very much appreciate the help you have given. You are not a P1 rep and you have your focus just as I have mine. I'm just hoping someone on this forum might know the answer and save me from either buying a competing product or having to do another eval. I would like to think someone from P1 follows this forum and answers simple, strait forward questions like this.  BTW, so far DxO has a wierd interface but seems to do a pretty good job of cleaning up my raw images for my editor. The geometry adjustments seem particularly strong. My horizons aren't always horizontal. :-) I miss the histogram adjustment in C1 and the noise cleaning isn't that great. But noise cleanup wasn't perfect in C1 either. Maybe over time I can afford to add Noise Ninja to what ever I get now. I think Bibble has a version of Noise Ninja within. Anyway, trying to make an inteligent purchase continues.

JNR

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 01:57:01 am »

I might not be the best to answer, but I do not believe any features have been removed in Express. I haven't downloaded yet, as I would rather do so when I can give the full program (PRO) an extensive workout. I don't think the feature list is accurate. In other words, the noise reduction sliders have not been removed based on the tutorial that was posted (but has since been removed - so perhaps something wasn't correct about the tutorial). I am also quite sure nothing has changed regarding how the histogram works.

Removing a pretty essential feature (noise reduction) and then trying to charge nearly two-thirds of full price for an upgrade less than two years after the introduction of the previous version would be not at all smart marketing. When v5 Limited came out about three years after the previous version, users complained that there was very little meaningful new so Phase One actually added the Basic Color Editor and Clarity features in v5.1 to attract more adopters (I was one of those who waited).  

Interface and workflow in v6 is almost the same as v5, except you have some new features such as vignetting, slideshow, and a variable-setting loupe that works not only on the selected image but on the filmstrip (very nice). Presumably, there is some kind of new video integration (but I don't do video from a still camera, so I don't know much about that). It also looks like you can edit EXIF. My guess is the basic processing engine has not changed (which is very good, despite the somewhat marginal noise reduction quality). I do think the loupe will potentially improve the precision of the noise reduction, though. Finally, some engineering changes move things onto the video card so image adjustments will be rendered quicker (I thought v5 was already pretty good in that regard).

Bottom line, if you did a full evaluation fairly recently, you won't have any confusion while checking out the new version. As usual, a very intuitive workflow set up.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 02:07:12 am by JNR »

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 11:50:49 am »

No features were removed in 6, spot and dust removal tool and comprehensive printing facility are added.  Make sure you download V6.0.1 as V6.0 was buggy and included half implemented features that should not have been there at all.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 08:08:39 am by Dave Rosser »
Pages: [1]   Go Up