Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad wireless images from Capture One 6 -- it works!  (Read 7508 times)

ggriswold

iPad wireless images from Capture One 6 -- it works!
« on: December 02, 2010, 11:37:54 am »

You need to run Capture One 6 on a computer, but with the Capture Pilot app (free) each image in the capture folder (or other specified folder) pops up on the iPad.  You can magnify and also display a histogram.  With all of us asking for some sort of way to display shots on the iPad I think this is a great step forward.  Now you can have a wireless display device to use or hand off. Worth the $99 to upgrade.

Frank Doorhof

• http://
Re: iPad wireless images from Capture One 6 -- it works!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 11:53:33 am »

Did this very quickly this afternoon with the iPhone 4.
It works like a charm, updates are quick and the browsing is also working, zooming is also very fast.
Very content, this is a GREAT addition.
I use it a lot during workshops so people can watch what I'm shooting without cramping behind my laptop screen.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 12:02:28 pm »

You need to run Capture One 6 on a computer, but with the Capture Pilot app (free) each image in the capture folder (or other specified folder) pops up on the iPad.  You can magnify and also display a histogram.  With all of us asking for some sort of way to display shots on the iPad I think this is a great step forward.  Now you can have a wireless display device to use or hand off. Worth the $99 to upgrade.
Can you also control the camera from the iPad (as with phocus 2.6 {when we get it} on Hasselblads)?

Can you do anything like this with CaptureShop/ Lightroom/?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Rudy Torres

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 12:24:23 pm »

What buttons did you select in the Internet Sharing Set up?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 12:54:53 pm »

Can you also control the camera from the iPad (as with phocus 2.6 {when we get it} on Hasselblads)?

Can you do anything like this with CaptureShop/ Lightroom/?

Not yet, but as with any version 1.X of a piece of software I think it's fair to assume that this is just the beginning and that more features/utility will be added. I can't speak to this specific feature other than to say Phase is considering many very cool ideas of where to take this new application. Given the sex appeal and high utility value of this particular area of software I think you'll see a lot invested here.

You can however:
- set a password (for sensitive shoots)
- select to only share certain folders of your shoot, or smart albums such as "five star images", "green tagged images", etc etc
- zoom to 100% ON the ipad with accurate 100% view of the image
- see all image adjustments (e.g. contrast, curves, etc) made on the computer reflected on the iPad nearly instantly
- view (or not) an accurate histogram of the image
- view (or not) images as they come in in real time
- view past shoots (e.g. for client demos/pre-production meetings)
- lock (using the iOS preference) the orientation or allow the screen to be rotated to fit the image best
- use it with ANY Capture One supported file, meaning tethered or untethered shoots with Canon/Nikon/Leaf/Phase/Mamiya
- in almost all cases use this right "out of the box" without plugins or configurations (other than changing the OSX internet sharing preference if needed), just download the iphone app, and push "start server" in Capture One

So if you give this to an art Director you, as one example) can elect to only have the green-tagged images shown (so that images coming in do not show up in real time, including the "oops" images) and have your base style (e.g. slightly desaturated contrasty image with a slight vignette and a boost to the quarter tones) already on the images that they are viewing, including any per-image tweaks (e.g. 0.3 stop exposure push). This will give the Art Director a very refined view of the shoot in progress AND they don't have to be at the computer, or right next to the camera LCD to view it - in fact they can be a hundred yards away in the break room (anywhere the wifi network reaches).

So it's great already, and more to come in the future!

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 01:02:40 pm by dougpetersonci »

rhsu

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 05:17:16 pm »

Well done...!

- use it with ANY Capture One supported file, meaning tethered or untethered shoots with Canon/Nikon/Leaf/Phase/Mamiya

The list of cameras should be more....  perhaps HB?! (just kidding... LOL)  ;D

Doug Peterson

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 05:22:17 pm »

Well done...!

The list of cameras should be more....  perhaps HB?! (just kidding... LOL)  ;D

You can absolutely shoot with a Hasselblad body. Provided it's a 500 series body or H1/H2 with a Phase One, Leaf, or Mamiya digital back  ;D!

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 05:35:22 pm »

You can absolutely shoot with a Hasselblad body. Provided it's a 500 series body or H1/H2 with a Phase One, Leaf, or Mamiya digital back  ;D!
Phocus 2.6, which is "expected" this month, will allow us to control Hasselblad H4's from a iPad, and see previews on it so you do not need Capture One.

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 05:58:49 pm »

Good point Dick and thank you for waving the Hassie flag in enemy territory.  Lots of nice back slapping on a job well done on this site and lets face it Capture One is not a bad bit of software if a tad expensive for those not fortunate enough to own a Phase One back.  Never mind the free download of Phocus 2.6 will re-address the balance.

Talking about rubbish cameras (were we?) we might ask (to quote a well known female ex-governor of Alaska)  how is that "hopey changey" thing going at Phase One?

David Watson ARPS

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 06:05:07 pm »

Will the application support 2 way communication in the future? Would be great if users could rate the images from the ipad/iphone. Would be superhelpful at bigger commercial shoots.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 02:55:16 pm »

Good point Dick and thank you for waving the Hassie flag in enemy territory.

Any flag waving aside, I think it's great that all four major medium format brands will have native iPad/iPhone tethering when Hasselblad releases their version. Hasselblad also plans to have direct control of the camera from the iPad which could be very useful in a very specific set of instances. Bravo to Phase for having released it in Capture One for Phase/Leaf/Mamiya backs; Bravo to Hasselblad for having it scheduled for availability soon in Phocus; Bravo to Leaf for having had this availability for about a year in Leaf Capture.

The investment of medium format companies on making tethering a better, faster, easier process has benefited photographers greatly I think - from all three major brands. LightRoom tethering is great, but I strongly feel it will always be an "add on" niche functionality rather than one of the core focuses of the program as it is in Capture One and Phocus.

Newsletter | RSS Feed
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 02:58:24 pm by dougpetersonci »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 02:55:41 pm »

Will the application support 2 way communication in the future? Would be great if users could rate the images from the ipad/iphone. Would be superhelpful at bigger commercial shoots.

If you're asking if Phase One, after having developed a very-good initial version of Capture Pilot (iPad/iPhone/iPodTouch), plans to simply leave Capture Pilot as-is and not add additional functionality (some of it unique and very cool) and improve performance/flexibility then I think the answer is very clear. It's an area of great utility and sex appeal and will clearly be expanded and invested-in over the long run.

If you're asking if and when specific features will be added: no comment  ;D.

Newsletter | RSS Feed
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 02:57:21 pm by dougpetersonci »

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 03:23:54 pm »

Any flag waving aside, I think it's great that all four major medium format brands will have native iPad/iPhone tethering when Hasselblad releases their version. Hasselblad also plans to have direct control of the camera from the iPad which could be very useful in a very specific set of instances.
Talking of "all major brands"... What about Sinar/CaptureShop?
We hear that the Sinar eShutters can be controlled from an iPad, but is that integrated into the system?

bcooter

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 03:40:26 pm »

I haven't used it in the heat of battle yet, but the capture pilot thing works.  Works damn well.

Now how I implement it is another story.  I don't know about just handing an AD and the group of clients an I-pad and walking off.  I know they're going to end up leaving on the beach, on the top of a car, etc. etc.

I can also hear the comments, "hey man I'm trying to check my e-mail back at the office, can you show me how to do this?"

For studio I'll probably either mount them on stands, or on an easel so they can see them but not spend a lot of time running around with them.

On location, I think putting them in the RV is a good idea.

If I was a digital tech, I;d send a big love note to Phase for putting them back into the game.

IMO

BC

P.S.   I gotta hand it to phase for allowing their older backs to work with all of this stuff.  My p30+ is still viable, which really doesn't happen in the digital world.

Thanks.

pindman

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 05:39:07 pm »

Now we need to be able to use it in the field without a laptop!!!  Wouldn't that be great for a technical camera, such as an Alpa TC, so we could really review photos without the weight of a laptop on something larger than the almost useless P65 screen!!!

Paul

Doug Peterson

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 06:26:35 pm »

P.S.   I gotta hand it to phase for allowing their older backs to work with all of this stuff.  My p30+ is still viable, which really doesn't happen in the digital world.

This would work with even a Light Phase (released 1998).  ;D

Doug Peterson

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 06:27:42 pm »

By the way we (Capture Integration) are releasing an article this coming week on Capture Pilot that lays out both "ideal setup" suggestions (for best speed and stability) and troubleshooting.

bcooter

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 08:21:01 pm »

This would work with even a Light Phase (released 1998).  ;D

Those Phase fellas can do some maddening s**t and I could write a book on it, but dollar for dollar, ounce per ounce my phase backs are the most cost effective equipment in our studios.

That Pentax testing guy said the next generation doesn't give a rat's a** about medium format, but he's wrong.   I let our first and some of his guys use my Phase backs and you have to threaten em with shutting off their I-tunes account to get the cameras back.

NMOJFM (not my opinion, just facts man)

BC

ziocan

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 09:31:14 pm »

Does this feature works with C1 DB and the "non pro" version?

Doug Peterson

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 01:10:15 pm »

Does this feature works with C1 DB and the "non pro" version?

DB is the exact same as pro, except that it only works with digital back files. So yes, Capture Pilot is in the DB version but only when shooting with Phase/Leaf/Mamiya Digital Backs.

Capture Pilot is not in the "non pro" version now called Capture One Express.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up