Poll

What's the Most Exciting Change/Feature in C1 v6?

Perspective Correction
- 4 (12.1%)
Local Adjustments
- 15 (45.5%)
Black & White Tools
- 1 (3%)
Video Import/Rename/Organizing
- 0 (0%)
Printing
- 1 (3%)
Speed / GPU Acceleration / 64-Bit
- 7 (21.2%)
Something Else
- 5 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One v6: What's the Most Significant Change/Feature  (Read 18481 times)

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
Re: Capture One v6: What's the Most Significant Change/Feature
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2010, 09:32:17 am »

I have my RAW files in many separate folders and sub folders on my hard drives...ie: Colorado 09, 10 etc, Antarctica, Texas, People, Abstracts, and so on.  All Capture One information is in each folder.  I simply go to my Library on C1 , select the folder I want to work in and work away.  I have ONE import folder on my Mac desktop and all new imports go there initially then I just drag those files to the specific folders (such as above) and all C1 info gets dragged with those files too.  I have one central trash folder for everything.  Simple
Eleanor

Exactly!

Every new job/shoot needs its own file name, job number and unique file structure. In the professional environment I imagine everyone uses sessions whereas the enthusiast has no need to structure their shoots in such a regimental way.

Sessions is way Capture One has always been and the jewel in its crown for busy photographers. Everything has its place and is easy to find from your archive if the need arrises in the future without the need to wade through thousands of files in one large library.
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

hubell

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2010, 10:13:01 am »

I usually don't import the raw files in the field on my laptop. I just download them into separate folders each day labeled by location and date. So, when I return home and copy the folders with the raws to an internal hard drive, I open Capture One and "import" them in the same folder they are already in. I frequently get dialogue boxes opening asking about Sessions, and often have to close out of capture One because it WANTS a Session. It won't take no for an answer. The problem appears to be that the program is built on top of the sessions concept, and when you don't use them, you need to use workarounds that the program doesn't easily accept. It feels like I am trying to use a round peg with a square hole.
I would appreciate it if Phase One provided a roadmap for how to work without Sessions. Just folders of images downloaded in the field.
For an example of what happens when you fool with Mother Nature:     http://www.captureintegration.com/2010/09/03/capture-one-starting-slowly-technical-notes/
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 10:48:45 am by hcubell »

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2010, 10:44:37 am »

My folder structure is pretty darn regimented.  In fact, that's precisely why I never wanted C1 (or LR or anything else) monkeying with it. 

I have over 100k images available on my website.  Occasionally I get a print order from a shoot five or six years ago.  I have no trouble at all going straight to it.  I don't want somebody else's idea of database structure fouling that up for me.

Nill

tho_mas

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2010, 10:51:41 am »

... how to work without Sessions. Just folders of images downloaded in the field.
well, just start C1 (this will open your default session "Capture One" ), go to the library and click on the respective folders in the system-folders tab. Done.

There is one drawback to your (and Eleanore's) workflow. C1 cashes session folders respectively "favorite folders". When you click on the desired folder under library->system folders you should right click on the folder and set it as a so called "favorite folder" (C1 then reloads the files in this folder much faster after a restart of the software). But if you have too many favorite folders (i.e. too many files) within your default session this will slow down C1. With different sessions (as opposed to different folders within one session) C1 only cashes the files of the respective session.
I don't understand in how far it is complicated to create a session. A session is basically just a folder containing the raw files, the respective image settings, the session file and 4 subfolders. Instead of creating a folder that is called, say, "Colorado 09"... just create a session that is called "Colorado 09" and either copy your raw files to that folder or use C1's import tool to copy them to the session folder. Actually it's that simply.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2010, 11:26:25 am »

...and either copy your raw files to that folder or use C1's import tool to copy them to the session folder. Actually it's that simply.
That's the part I don't want to do.  I already have my RAW files where I want them.  And I have C1 set to keep its detritus inside the respective source folder.  Works for me.

Nill

nazdravanul

• Stefan Iacob - visual artist
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2010, 12:31:06 pm »

Capture Pilot. Thank you for that. And local adjustments, of course. Not so big for me as I always need photoshop, but definitely an excellent improvement.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 12:35:32 pm by nazdravanul »

Bernhard

• http://www.bernhardphotographer.com
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2010, 03:52:50 am »

Doug, do you see the gradient mask (filter) similar to the one in Adobe getting into C1

otherwise nice job Phase One
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 06:54:36 pm by Bernhard »

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2010, 09:47:31 am »

There are several major features as well as some important minor tweaks and performance enhancements in Capture One Version 6 Released today.

Read more about some of the new features in Capture One 6 and vote for which feature matters most to your workflow.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Is it really faster? On my computer it develops images at the same speed as latest c5 pro version. Im on win7 64bit 12gb ram amd 6core processor.

I dont have open cl support on my computer. But on my brothers the gpu usage was zero when we used the program and developed images. He is on core i5 with 16gb of ram win7 x64bit.

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2010, 09:52:46 am »

That exactly what I do. I have many many folders with lots of images and preformance is fine doing things this way. Eleanor
PS ...also I would LOVE to see capture one have a History option too. There are so many times I want to go back to view a processing state and can't ...

Don't understand the issue. Go to System Folders in the Library tab and select your folder of images, done, nothing else to it. When you want to output point the processing to your desired folder, done, nothing to it. No need to use Sessions, no forcing of using Sessions.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:55:59 am by eleanorbrown »
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2010, 10:00:35 am »

Is it really faster? On my computer it develops images at the same speed as latest c5 pro version. Im on win7 64bit 12gb ram amd 6core processor.

I dont have open cl support on my computer. But on my brothers the gpu usage was zero when we used the program and developed images. He is on core i5 with 16gb of ram win7 x64bit.

Likely his graphics card is not on the list of initially supported GPUs. Nearly all the recent mac models' GPUs and many popular Windows GPUs are included, and the list will grow with future releases.

"Performance increase" is kind of vague I know but I've noticed real world improvements in
- launch time, especially when opening large sessions
- refresh after adjustments (requires a supported GPU)
- scrubbing through large folders of images

I've not yet tested head to head for processing.

Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Doug Peterson

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2010, 10:20:13 am »

Doug, do you see the gradient mask (filter) similar to the one in Adobe getting into C1? Frustrating to develop two exposure to get darker sky fx

If you're asking if, after spending considerable R+D to create a Local Adjustments Tool which that Phase One will leave it exactly as it is I can definitely say "no chance". This is the first implementation of a Local Adjustments Tool in Capture One. I think it's a great start and will save many users a lot of time while maintaing excellent image quality (much better to dodge and burn in-raw than in Photoshop after processing). However if you look at the history of other tools in Capture One such as the LCC tool, color editor, lens correction, albums, keyboard shortcut customization etc you'll see a history of continually improving tools after their initial introduction.

If you're asking for specific future features and timetables - "no comment".

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2010, 11:05:18 am »

Likely his graphics card is not on the list of initially supported GPUs. Nearly all the recent mac models' GPUs and many popular Windows GPUs are included, and the list will grow with future releases.

"Performance increase" is kind of vague I know but I've noticed real world improvements in
- launch time, especially when opening large sessions
- refresh after adjustments (requires a supported GPU)
- scrubbing through large folders of images

I've not yet tested head to head for processing.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Its compatible.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2010, 06:08:49 pm »

Yes but as far as I understand it, the graphic card adds NOTHING to develop speed only to image refresh speed.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Bernhard

• http://www.bernhardphotographer.com
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2010, 06:56:33 pm »

Sorry Doug, didn't see how powerful the Local adjustment tool really is. Simply great

thanks,

Bernhard Kristinn

If you're asking if, after spending considerable R+D to create a Local Adjustments Tool which that Phase One will leave it exactly as it is I can definitely say "no chance". This is the first implementation of a Local Adjustments Tool in Capture One. I think it's a great start and will save many users a lot of time while maintaing excellent image quality (much better to dodge and burn in-raw than in Photoshop after processing). However if you look at the history of other tools in Capture One such as the LCC tool, color editor, lens correction, albums, keyboard shortcut customization etc you'll see a history of continually improving tools after their initial introduction.

If you're asking for specific future features and timetables - "no comment".

Newsletter | RSS Feed

steinar1

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2010, 02:34:40 pm »

...I'm actually pretty surprised at the (relatively) small number of bugs I and our customers have found...
Most of the serious bugs I've seen relate to not uninstalling previous versions of Capture One or computer/GPU specific bugs with the Open CL feature (in which case disabling Open CL in the preferences fixes the issue)...

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Well, shall we say we just don´t agree on this? To me it seems the software wasn´t really ready for prime time. Have you been over at the support forum at Phase´s website?

Doug Peterson

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2010, 03:09:44 pm »

Well, shall we say we just don´t agree on this? To me it seems the software wasn´t really ready for prime time. Have you been over at the support forum at Phase´s website?

Support forums are a great place to read a list of bugs, not a great place to judge the relative frequency within the overall installed base.

I could direct you to bug-filled forums at adobe.com, apple.com, and every other software company forum.

That said I think I've said here and elsewhere very clearly that we do not recommend using X.0 software from any software maker in any production environment. They will always have some bugs. My statement is both positive and negative in that regard. I've been surprised by the small number of bugs for a X.0 software release and I stand by that statement after an additional several days of use and phone calls from customers - but thats a very relative statement.

We can all complain and moan (rightfully so) that software makers should not release public software until it's perfect and free of bugs. However, two decades of software releases from Microsoft, Adobe, Apple, Phase One, and every other software I've ever used has shown that the X.0 software release is not perfect and has (often significant) bugs. If you're still downloading X.0 software and using it for important work (rather than to find out what's coming down the road and see "what's up") then we cannot understand each other - we won't be talking the same language. Right or wrong - X.0 is not production-ready software. It was true of LightRoom 1.0, Aperture 3.0, Snow Leopard (10.6.0), just to mention a few recent popular well-respected software vendors. Individual users may or may not have noticed bugs in those software packages depending.

I'm not defending Phase One (or Apple, or Adobe); I'm just being practical. Don't use X.0 software in production environments.

Newsletter | RSS Feed
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up