Poll

What's the Most Exciting Change/Feature in C1 v6?

Perspective Correction
- 4 (12.1%)
Local Adjustments
- 15 (45.5%)
Black & White Tools
- 1 (3%)
Video Import/Rename/Organizing
- 0 (0%)
Printing
- 1 (3%)
Speed / GPU Acceleration / 64-Bit
- 7 (21.2%)
Something Else
- 5 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One v6: What's the Most Significant Change/Feature  (Read 18480 times)

ziocan

Re: Capture One v6: What's the Most Significant Change/Feature
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 10:54:49 pm »

Does this mean the NR has not been improved?   ???

That would certainly qualify as the most needed change IMO.  v5's NR seems like a step backwards from v3.7.x to me, and it's certainly blown away by LR3/ACR6.

Nill

Not just the noise reduction of high iso files.
Adobe rendering engine is better of C1 5.x on DSLR files at any iso.

narikin

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 09:10:26 am »

At the top of my Wish List would be a version of Capture One that did not use Sessions. It is the one thing I hate about the software. I can't get my head around it, and I really don't want to. I have been told that I can use Capture One and "ignore" Sessions, but the damn thing keeps cropping up.  It seems that the functionality of the whole program is built on top of Sessions, and I am constantly trying to operate as if Sessions do not exist, but they still do under the hood somewhere.

AGREE.  annoys the hell out of me.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 09:25:11 am »

I've never used Sessions (and like you don't even begin to understand them or want to).  Just set C1 to save its toys in the source folder, and carry on.

Nill

Jeffreytotaro

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 09:27:09 am »

Hi Doug:

Curious if you have been working with 6 for a while or are you still testing it out.  I'm always interested to get the Doug approval that its stable enough to make the upgrade.
Thanks!
Jeffrey Totaro
[url=http://www.jeffreyto

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 10:02:02 am »

I totally agree! Never use sessions, don't understand them, don't need them and don't want to spend my time trying to learn about them when I could spend that time processing my RAW files accessed from their folders on my hard drive directly.   Eleanor

At the top of my Wish List would be a version of Capture One that did not use Sessions. It is the one thing I hate about the software. I can't get my head around it, and I really don't want to. I have been told that I can use Capture One and "ignore" Sessions, but the damn thing keeps cropping up.  It seems that the functionality of the whole program is built on top of Sessions, and I am constantly trying to operate as if Sessions do not exist, but they still do under the hood somewhere.
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 11:37:07 am »

Just save the "session" in your pictures folder, right next to the iPhoto "session" and Lightroom "session" and Aperture "session   :)

Maybe it will work out for you if you think of the session the same way you would for these other programs which all operate in a similar way.  You can then go on to create capture and process folders anywhere else you like.  You'll just have to remember to empty the Capture One trash can every once in a while.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 01:04:11 pm »

Does V6 allow for direct adjustment of camera functions of a DSLR (canon) in tethered shooting?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 02:16:21 pm by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 01:08:57 pm »

Curious if you have been working with 6 for a while or are you still testing it out.  I'm always interested to get the Doug approval that its stable enough to make the upgrade.

I never recommend ANY software at the X.0 stage for use in a serious production environment. Whether it is from Apple, Adobe, Microsoft, or Phase One.

That said, I'm actually pretty surprised at the (relatively) small number of bugs I and our customers have found. Still, you'll live longer and have less gray hairs if you only install X.0 on not-critical-for-production computers.

Most of the serious bugs I've seen relate to not uninstalling previous versions of Capture One or computer/GPU specific bugs with the Open CL feature (in which case disabling Open CL in the preferences fixes the issue).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 02:23:30 pm »

One of the biggest bugs is that it won't show a full image in the viewer. You can't even pan
to the bottom of the image. This is on the Windows version of course.

It makes you wonder how it got released like this. It is the first thing you notice when you
click on an image.
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

Doug Peterson

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 02:47:25 pm »

One of the biggest bugs is that it won't show a full image in the viewer. You can't even pan
to the bottom of the image. This is on the Windows version of course.

It makes you wonder how it got released like this. It is the first thing you notice when you
click on an image.

What you mean is on your computer, with your graphics card, your operating system, your monitor settings (e.g. "false DPI" available in some windows versions) etc etc etc it's not working.

That's how it gets released with such a bug - they are almost always specific to a setup that was not on any of the test systems at Phase One or any of the beta testers.

Of course very few of our customers (us being Capture Integration, a dealer) use Windows so I cannot verify for you that this bug is not wider spread.

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2010, 03:31:06 pm »

Travel over to the Phase/Mamiya board. I am certainly not alone with this.
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

Doug Peterson

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2010, 03:45:03 pm »

Travel over to the Phase/Mamiya board. I am certainly not alone with this.

Fair enough. Sounds like a bug that needs squashed pronto!

Jay101

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2010, 06:26:51 pm »

>At the top of my Wish List would be a version of Capture One that did not use Sessions.

Funny how we're all different in our approach to the application. I quite like this approach to the workflow.

ctz

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2010, 03:05:16 am »

>

Funny how we're all different in our approach to the application. I quite like this approach to the workflow.

+1

Doug Peterson

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2010, 12:30:59 pm »

IMHO LR3 NR really is better than C1 v5 (who knows about v6?) - at least for the P20 I shoot and also its better than Phocus' NR for my ixpress 528c images.  I have a memory that the NR in C1 v3.7 could achieve a nicer film like quality for high ISO P20 images but it might be the same.   Curious to see what C1 6 will do.  

Here is a direct comparison (with a raw file) of a high ISO 5DII shot in LightRoom and Capture One.

Capture One 6 vs LightRoom for High ISO dSLRs.

Further discussions on NR here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=49228.0

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2010, 01:41:18 pm »

Local adjustments and capture pilot.

hubell

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2010, 06:48:06 pm »

My workflow reflects the way I photograph, and I don't think I am unique. I never shoot tethered. I go into the field to photograph, fill up a bunch of CF cards, and then download the raw files into a folder for that location and date. I copy that file to multiple internal and external drives. All I want to do is import the raw files in place in the folder where I downloaded them. I don't want the program doing anything to the contents of that folder. I don't want it to be treated as a Session, I don't want the program asking me about Sessions, I don't want to see Sessions in the Library. I don't see why Capture One cannot be configured so it operates perfectly well without Sessions. Give us the choice. Two modes. One with Sessions, one without  Sessions. Seems easy. 

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2010, 11:09:40 pm »

That's exactly how I work.  I don't even know what a session is.  Don't want to know.  And I've been using C1 happily for five or more years... it's just fine. 

Nill

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2010, 12:58:30 am »

Me too ....I don't know either and I'm happily working away too without them. Maybe they are designed for pre press people that have a lot of commercial shoots going...really don't know. Eleanor

That's exactly how I work.  I don't even know what a session is.  Don't want to know.  And I've been using C1 happily for five or more years... it's just fine. 

Nill
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

gazwas

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2010, 05:06:58 am »

Me too ....I don't know either and I'm happily working away too without them. Maybe they are designed for pre press people that have a lot of commercial shoots going...really don't know. Eleanor

Exactly!

Every new job/shoot needs its own file name, job number and unique file structure. In the professional environment I imagine everyone uses sessions whereas the enthusiast has no need to structure their shoots in such a regimental way.

Sessions is way Capture One has always been and the jewel in its crown for busy photographers. Everything has its place and is easy to find from your archive if the need arrises in the future without the need to wade through thousands of files in one large library.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up