Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnmühle Canvas: Which to choose?  (Read 6087 times)

sm906

• thomas hintze fotografie
Hahnmühle Canvas: Which to choose?
« on: December 01, 2010, 06:16:01 am »

Hi,

in the near future I intend to also print panoramas on canvas. I intend to only use Hahnemühle media (for some reasons, which should not be of any importance here). Since Hahnemühle is offering different canvas media

# Canvas Artist, 340 g/m²
# Goya Canvas, 340 g/m²
# Leonardo Canvas, 390 g/m²
# Daguerre Canvas, 400 g/m²
# Monet Canvas, 410 g/m²

I am not sure which one to choose (apart from obvious price differences).

Most of the time I will print color, sometimes black and white. Is one of them equally suitable for color (with as much gamut as possible) and black and white?

Any hints and experiences are much appreciated.

Thomas

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 06:17:55 am by sm906 »
nature-architecture-panorama-fineart
Web hintze-photo.com | YT youtube.com/c/rawakademie

RFPhotography

Re: Hahnmühle Canvas: Which to choose?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 07:56:26 am »

I thought the Monet and Daguerre were the only two still being made.  The rest, as far as I'm aware, have been discontinued. 

The Daguerre is a poly-cotton blend.  It's a bit lighter and more flexible than the Monet.  It's also a bit whiter.  Finer texture.  Stretches a bit more easily.

The Monet is a 100% cotton canvas.  Bit rougher texture.  Not quite as white.  Stiffer and a bit more difficult to work with.

For what I use canvas to print, I prefer the Monet, of the two.  That said, neither are my canvas of choice.

Both can produce terrific prints.  B&W is something I, personally, would never put on canvas so can't speak to that.  Given its finer texture, I'd use the Daguerre if I were going to print b&w on one of the two.

I'd avoid the Hahnemuhle spray coating (or any spray on coating for that matter).  The spray ons provide some UV protection but not scratch resistance.  The fumes are quite bad as well.  Better to go with a liquid, roll on coating like Premier Eco Print Shield or similar.

Rocco Penny

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 12:34:06 pm »

I have tried two rolls of daguerre, one of monet, and several of BC lyve and wc
I like them all for different reasons.
The monet is bumpy and stiff, the daguerre really white by comparison, and finally for the just delicate look I like I found the lyve pretty pleasing compared to the rest.
Why?
Well I just know how they look for a year or two on the wall and in varying light.
The BC has a fine even texture that allows a more even coverage, the monet is rough by comparison.
I'm thinking of getting some of the stuff bill t. says has seeds or stuff like that embedded in the rolls,
sounds good,
you should find what you like, otherwise why are you doing it?

ashwee5185

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 06:26:19 pm »

Actually, none of those canvases have been discontinued. They are all still available-- just not in the US market. Daguerre and Monet are they only Hahnemühle canvas sold in the USA. Choosing between those surface really depends on the types of images your are making. A surface like Monet or Canvas Artist seems to work better with images or photographs that have a more painterly feel. Where something like Daguerre would work better with a more photographic image. Canvas Artist is a matte canvas, that the most 'organic' feel to the weave, and the warmest white-point. Followed by the matte canvas, Monet, which has a similar warm whitepoint and organic texture except the surface is more even and smoother than CA. The final matte canvas you listed, Daguerre, is which has the brightest white-point of all the canvses in the Hahn. line. It also has the finest and sharpest texture of the matte canvases, which suits it to reproducing crisp photographic images.

The Goya has a beautiful satin-finish with a warm white-point similar to the CA. The surface texture has an organic feel to the weave and a gesso-ed appearance like CA and Monet. The Leonardo has a very high gloss and a bright-white point. The surface texture is a fine precise weave close to that of Daguerre. IMO it is the best high-gloss canvas on the market. You really get a great Dmax, and they designed the texture just right so the gloss does not detract and get that distracting light-scattering that other high-gloss canvas suffers from.

They are all Poly-Cotton except Monet which is 100% Cotton. As for weight/ thickness/ rigidity, I would say the CA is the thinnest lightest weight and the most flexible- it really feels like fabric. Goya is similarly light in weight and thickness, but is a little more rigid from the satin-gloss coating. To the touch Leonardo feels the stiffest, I think because of the high-gloss coating. But actually, Monet is the thickest and the heaviest gsm.

If you want a glossy canvas Goya and Leo are great because because you do not have to varnish. But if you want to more control of how much gloss your print has, you are better off buying one of the matte canvases and varnishing it your self. Hahn. offers a great varnish-- that I use alot. It really lets you control how much shine your print has. The more coats the glossier the print. Whew, thats alot of info-- I hope it helpful.

Good luck in finding a canvas!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 06:29:21 pm by ashwee5185 »

sm906

• thomas hintze fotografie
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 01:10:58 am »

... otherwise why are you doing it?

Rocco,

thanks for your information. To answer your question: To sell my artwork.

Thomas
nature-architecture-panorama-fineart
Web hintze-photo.com | YT youtube.com/c/rawakademie

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 03:31:16 am »

They are all Poly-Cotton except Monet which is 100% Cotton. As for weight/ thickness/ rigidity, I would say the CA is the thinnest lightest weight and the most flexible- it really feels like fabric. Goya is similarly light in weight and thickness, but is a little more rigid from the satin-gloss coating. To the touch Leonardo feels the stiffest, I think because of the high-gloss coating. But actually, Monet is the thickest and the heaviest gsm.

As I understand it there has been a change in the tightness of the Daguerre's weaving to make it more suitable for stretching machines. What that means to which market is unclear to me and so is the period of transition.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

RFPhotography

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 09:22:51 am »

Actually, none of those canvases have been discontinued. They are all still available-- just not in the US market. Daguerre and Monet are they only Hahnemühle canvas sold in the USA. Choosing between those surface really depends on the types of images your are making. A surface like Monet or Canvas Artist seems to work better with images or photographs that have a more painterly feel. Where something like Daguerre would work better with a more photographic image. Canvas Artist is a matte canvas, that the most 'organic' feel to the weave, and the warmest white-point. Followed by the matte canvas, Monet, which has a similar warm whitepoint and organic texture except the surface is more even and smoother than CA. The final matte canvas you listed, Daguerre, is which has the brightest white-point of all the canvses in the Hahn. line. It also has the finest and sharpest texture of the matte canvases, which suits it to reproducing crisp photographic images.

The Goya has a beautiful satin-finish with a warm white-point similar to the CA. The surface texture has an organic feel to the weave and a gesso-ed appearance like CA and Monet. The Leonardo has a very high gloss and a bright-white point. The surface texture is a fine precise weave close to that of Daguerre. IMO it is the best high-gloss canvas on the market. You really get a great Dmax, and they designed the texture just right so the gloss does not detract and get that distracting light-scattering that other high-gloss canvas suffers from.

If you want a glossy canvas Goya and Leo are great because because you do not have to varnish. But if you want to more control of how much gloss your print has, you are better off buying one of the matte canvases and varnishing it your self. Hahn. offers a great varnish-- that I use alot. It really lets you control how much shine your print has. The more coats the glossier the print. Whew, thats alot of info-- I hope it helpful.

Good luck in finding a canvas!

OK, well that's the answer then.  The Goya and Canvas Artist used to be available in NA.  Given that they're not now, I assumed they were discontinued.  Effectively they are in NA. :-)

Got a link for the Hahnemuhle varnish?  Is that non-NA product as well?

ashwee5185

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 11:19:57 am »

No, the varnish definitely is available in NA. I typically order my supply through a local camera store-- it something that don't keep in inventory, they special order for me  ;). But I am sure that the biggies like B&H or Adorama carry it instock. It's name is Hahnemühle Masters Varnish. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up