Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 Anyone?  (Read 7292 times)

catchall

Epson 4900 Anyone?
« on: November 30, 2010, 10:56:01 pm »

Ah, the new 4900 is now shipping (today's word from itsupplies/atlex). I currently own an aging 4800 and I wonder if the 4900 is the new replacement printer for me.

Questions...

1. It has pizza wheels. Will they show marks on glossy paper just like the 3800, 3880, 4000, 4800, 4880 (easily visible in sunlight or any bright, sharp light at just the right angle reflecting off H Photo Rag Baryta and Museo Silver Rag papers)? Or will it be more like the Canon 6300 whose pizza wheels don't eat into these beautiful papers to mar their surfaces?  A friend and I tested the 6300 to confirm that it doesn't.

2. On my 4800, I can push the pizza wheel plate back up in its retracted position and prevent this from happening. I wonder... if the 4900 creates marks, can its pizza wheel plate be manually or programmatically be retracted too?

3. Unbelievably, Epson has reduced the thickness of the paper that can be used in the 4900 cassette tray from .79 mm (4880 and 4800) to .29 mm, meaning that most fine-art glossy and matte art papers can't be warrantied to be used in the cassette. Ouch! The main reason that I wanted to buy this printer--unattended printing--just evaporated. Even though unattended printing is never quite the reality, it can be close. Unless of course, Epson is conservative in their specs and H Photo Rag Baryta (.39 mm) will work fine feeding from the tray, resulting in no pizza wheel marks, no roller marks, no head strikes, no scratches, etc.

4. My 3800 rarely clogs in 10-20% humidity. However, my 4800 clogs constantly and is borderline unusable (not to mention expensive to unclog!), even with a glass of water inserted in the printer between printing sessions. I'm hearing clog stories about the 7900/9900 series printers used in low humidity environments. Perhaps the 4900 will be more like the 3800/3800 and clog less. At least, thank the printer Gods, it has the ability to unclog clogged nozzle pairs. But I wonder how effective that is after reading several posts to the contrary around the Internet.

Surely having a professional printer that can make multiple state-of-the-art prints unattended without the hassles of flattening the curl of roll paper has a huge market. It will be interesting to see if Epson is smart and has listened to the market or if they have just produced one more iteration of a printer that has marginally better print quality, with even more ink cartridges that can potentially clog ($$$!).

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 10:44:48 am by catchall »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson 4900 Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 09:23:53 am »

Ah, the new 4900 is now shipping (today's word from itsupplies/atlex). I currently own an aging 4800 and I wonder if the 4900 is the new replacement printer for me.

Questions...

1. It has pizza wheels. Will they show marks on glossy paper just like the 3800, 3880, 4000, 4800, 4880 (easily visible in sunlight or any bright, sharp light at just the right angle reflecting off H Photo Rag Baryta and Museo Silver Rag papers)? Or will it be more like the Canon 6300 whose pizza wheels don't eat into these beautiful papers to mar their surfaces?  A friend and I tested the 6300 to confirm that it doesn't.

2, On my 4800, I can push the pizza wheel plate back up in its retracted position and prevent this from happening. I wonder... if the 4900 creates marks, can its pizza wheel plate be manually or programmatically be retracted too?

2. Unbelievably, Epson has reduced the thickness of the paper that can be used in the 4900 cassette tray from .79 mm (4880 and 4800) to .29 mm, meaning that most fine-art glossy and matte art papers can't be warrantied to be used in the cassette. Ouch! The main reason that I wanted to buy this printer--unattended printing--just evaporated. Even though unattended printing is never quite the reality, it can be close. Unless of course, Epson is conservative in their specs and H Photo Rag Baryta (.39 mm) will work fine feeding from the tray, resulting in no pizza wheel marks, no roller marks, no head strikes, no scratches, etc.

3. My 3800 rarely clogs in 10-20% humidity. However, my 4800 clogs constantly and is borderline unusable (not to mention expensive to unclog!), even with a glass of water inserted in the printer between printing sessions. I'm hearing clog stories about the 7900/9900 series printers used in low humidity environments. Perhaps the 4900 will be more like the 3800/3800 and clog less. At least, thank the printer Gods, it has the ability to unclog clogged nozzle pairs. But I wonder how effective that is after reading several posts to the contrary around the Internet.

Surely having a professional printer that can make multiple state-of-the-art prints unattended without the hassles of flattening the curl of roll paper has a huge market. It will be interesting to see if Epson is smart and has listened to the market or if they have just produced one more iteration of a printer that has marginally better print quality, with even more ink cartridges that can potentially clog ($$$!).

I'd be interested to know where you got the information about the paper feeding mechanism.

As for the feeding mechanism, it is generally advisable to feed large fine art sheets one at a time regardless of the options.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

catchall

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 11:14:01 am »

Hi Mark,

Paper specifications are found in the 4900 user's guide now available for download.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Doc&oid=171983

It's on page 39.

Paper cassette
• Epson or non-Epson media with paper
thicknesses from 0.08 to 0.27 mm
• Premium Photo Paper Semi-gloss
• Premium Semigloss Photo Paper
• Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster
• Premium Luster Photo Paper
• Singleweight Matte Paper
• Presentation Paper Matte
• Photo Quality Ink Jet Paper
• Proofing Paper White Semimatte
• Proofing Paper Commercial
• Standard Proofing Paper 240
• Standard Proofing Paper SWOP 3
• Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte
• Enhanced Matte Paper
• Plain paper

I also confirmed the change with an Epson pro imaging tech support person.

The 4880 spec indicates cut sheets .08 to .79 mm thick are acceptable for the paper tray. (page 31 of the 4880 user guide).

I print on small art paper, 11x14 typically. I'd buy a 7900 or 7890 (or the Canon 6300) if I had to manually feed cut sheets. However, my 4800 is capable of this, though there are other issues with mine at this time and I'm ready to upgrade.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 12:03:08 pm »

Hi Mark,

Paper specifications are found in the 4900 user's guide now available for download.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Doc&oid=171983

It's on page 39.

Paper cassette
• Epson or non-Epson media with paper
thicknesses from 0.08 to 0.27 mm
• Premium Photo Paper Semi-gloss
• Premium Semigloss Photo Paper
• Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster
• Premium Luster Photo Paper
• Singleweight Matte Paper
• Presentation Paper Matte
• Photo Quality Ink Jet Paper
• Proofing Paper White Semimatte
• Proofing Paper Commercial
• Standard Proofing Paper 240
• Standard Proofing Paper SWOP 3
• Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte
• Enhanced Matte Paper
• Plain paper

I also confirmed the change with an Epson pro imaging tech support person.

The 4880 spec indicates cut sheets .08 to .79 mm thick are acceptable for the paper tray. (page 31 of the 4880 user guide).

I print on small art paper, 11x14 typically. I'd buy a 7900 or 7890 (or the Canon 6300) if I had to manually feed cut sheets. However, my 4800 is capable of this, though there are other issues with mine at this time and I'm ready to upgrade.

What I was asking is where you got the information that the paper is driven by a pizza wheel which could cause markings on the paper. I couldn't find reference to this in the manual.

catchall

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 12:12:07 pm »

Since the 4000, 4800 and 4880 had them, I assumed that the 4900 had them too. I confirmed this with their tech support person.

Pete Berry

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 12:22:13 pm »

.......I print on small art paper, 11x14 typically. I'd buy a 7900 or 7890 (or the Canon 6300) if I had to manually feed cut sheets. However, my 4800 is capable of this, though there are other issues with mine at this time and I'm ready to upgrade.

[/quote]

Of course the 17" Canon 5100 has an aspirated transport system identical to the 6300 and is wheel-mark free also, as well as a cassette that has fed (in my 5000) 315 gsm art papers without complaint. It does lack the 3rd gen. inks of the 6300, but its 2nd gen. pigments give results at least as good as the 4800, I think, with significantly increased scratch resistance, decreased bronzing and gloss diff. Clogs not a problem at all. It might be worth a close look...

Pete

catchall

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 02:01:54 pm »

Yes, that's a good option. If the 5100 printer was in the new Canon *300 series it would be even more tempting. Hate to buy into old technology though the 5100 might work perfectly for my needs.

Right now I'd prefer to stay in the Epson world as I have tweaked my files to print on 3800 and 4800 printers. To tweak them again for a new 4900 might not be as daunting or time consuming as starting anew with a Canon printer.  Also the Canon has a 16 bit Photoshop plugin that people seem to like, but I do my printing from Indesign, as I'm into book production on an inkjet printer.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 02:06:09 pm »

Yes, that's a good option. If the 5100 printer was in the new Canon *300 series it would be even more tempting. Hate to buy into old technology though the 5100 might work perfectly for my needs.

Right now I'd prefer to stay in the Epson world as I have tweaked my files to print on 3800 and 4800 printers. To tweak them again for a new 4900 might not be as daunting or time consuming as starting anew with a Canon printer.  Also the Canon has a 16 bit Photoshop plugin that people seem to like, but I do my printing from Indesign, as I'm into book production on an inkjet printer.

The 4900 has a 16-bit print path if I'm interpreting the specs correctly.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 02:22:56 pm »

"in 10-20% humidity"

Isn't that a little low ? I mean if I look at my printing room it is always around 47-50%
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

catchall

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 02:32:19 pm »

Yes, I live in the desert and 10-20% is pretty normal here.  No chance to raise the room humidity much beyond 20%. The printer specs are for an environment with 40 or 50% humidity. Canon rates theirs at 10% upward and users here have great success with them.

Plenty of people have Epson printers here and they curse the clogging even after humidifying their printers. Like I mentioned before my 3800 rarely clogs. Hoping the 4900 is similar in that regard, but not holding my breath.

Mc

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 06:30:58 pm »

As far as I know the 4880 had a vacuum system hence I'm assuming that the 4900 has it too... then again, the pizza wheels and the vacuum system might not be mutually exclusive. Are them?

catchall

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 06:35:47 pm »

They include pizza wheels and a vacuum system. The 4800 and I assume the 4880 have the ability to manually (with fingers) retract the pizza wheel plate assembly as they are really not needed for prints with borders. It remains to be seen if one can do this with a 4900.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 10:42:27 pm by catchall »

catchall

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 10:44:36 pm »

Oh, and the Epson tech support person did test this and said that no, retracting can't be done on the 4900. I'd like to confirm that though.

Jeff Kott

4900 vs. 4800 with IP
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 12:46:46 pm »

I also have an Epson 4800 which is still working well except for ink clogging if I don't use it for more than a few days. I'm using the 4800 with Imageprint Version 8 and getting great results.

I see that Imageprint now supports the 4900 and am considering upgrading. For those of you who have printed with Imageprint and the Epson x800 series printers and have also used the new x900 series printers, how noticeable is the increased gamut of the x900 ink set versus the x800 ink set? Are there any other differences I will see?

Thanks in advance for you responses.

Jeff Kott

Randy Carone

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 09:55:46 am »

Jeff,

Check your Messages.
Randy Carone

SarahNewman

• http://www.spectraflow.com
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 04:19:46 pm »

Hi Jeff,

Spectraflow's Epson 4900 just showed up today! Stop by our Novato office.

Sarah

Happy Printing!

Sarah Newman
Spectraflow, Inc.

tsjanik

Re: 4900 vs. 4800 with IP
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 10:25:05 am »

I also have an Epson 4800 which is still working well except for ink clogging if I don't use it for more than a few days. I'm using the 4800 with Imageprint Version 8 and getting great results.

I see that Imageprint now supports the 4900 and am considering upgrading. For those of you who have printed with Imageprint and the Epson x800 series printers and have also used the new x900 series printers, how noticeable is the increased gamut of the x900 ink set versus the x800 ink set? Are there any other differences I will see?

Thanks in advance for you responses.

Jeff Kott

Jeff:

I'm in a similar situation.  My 4800 has been great and no clogging problems (which is about the only advantage to the climate in the humid northeastern US), but it's getting a bit old.  Would you please post anything you discover.

Thanks,

Tom

Jeff Kott

Re: 4900 vs. 4800 with IP
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 12:45:57 pm »

Jeff:

I'm in a similar situation.  My 4800 has been great and no clogging problems (which is about the only advantage to the climate in the humid northeastern US), but it's getting a bit old.  Would you please post anything you discover.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'll let you know. I'm inclined to take the leap to the 4900 because I recently upgraded my version of Imageprint to work with Windows 7 and I'm under Imageprint support for a little longer. I was thinking it would be good to get my 4900 up and operating while I still have free access to Imageprint technical support.

Still, I would love to see some examples of images that look different because of the increased gamut of the new printer first.

Best,

Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up