Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe Color Printer Utility  (Read 66787 times)

Doyle Yoder

Re: Adobe Color Printer Utility
« Reply #140 on: December 09, 2010, 04:07:12 pm »

Ok, so I converted my test image to sRGB (this image was originally tagged in prophoto, but the scene colors were all in sRGB gamut range, so no color translation appeared on screen when I converted).  I also reinstalled the latest Canon 2.14 driver for my ipf8100 to make sure no corruption was present with the driver. Result: no difference at all. When printing from "photoshop manages colors" out of CS5, the colors are dull and don't match softproof at all.  Yet I can print from CS3 or from ID CS5 with excellent results and softprrof match when using this custom printer/ink/paper profile.  Based on these results, I now suspect that my problem is not caused by a failure to honor the embedded image profile tag. More likely it's a failure to invoke the chosen ICC profile for the destination space. Some other "default" profile may be getting used in in it's place. Very strange, and very time consuming to try to figure out what the problem is:

I have to think on this, but is there any chance you might have Proof checked instead of Document in the CS5 print dialog?

MHMG

« Reply #141 on: December 09, 2010, 04:22:00 pm »

I have to think on this, but is there any chance you might have Proof checked instead of Document in the CS5 print dialog?

No, the PS print preview window shows that I'm set on document not proof.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #142 on: December 10, 2010, 09:42:04 am »

MHMG, do you by any chance have another Canon model (something besides the iPF8100) to try this on?

I am trying to figure out if this is something specific to the 8100 (specifically, its driver), or in your settings.
Eric Chan

MHMG

« Reply #143 on: December 10, 2010, 11:14:21 am »

MHMG, do you by any chance have another Canon model (something besides the iPF8100) to try this on?

I am trying to figure out if this is something specific to the 8100 (specifically, its driver), or in your settings.

Hi Eric, I have a Canon iPF5000 as well. I will give it a go. However, part of the problem is showing up on my Epson 3880 as well. Try printing an image with a colorsync workflow on your 3880 (say for example, printing an aRGB or prophoto tagged image from Word 2011 or Pages.) They are color managed applications, AFAIK, so for example, a prophoto tagged image displays correctly in these apps.  We should get a reasonable match to what we can print from Photoshop/MacOS10.6 using printer manages colors/colorsync workflow which in turn should reasonably match a photoshop manages colors workflow.  I haven't been able to achieve that result. Granted, these other apps may be irrelevant for LULA readers, but they may provide you with a clue on what part of the Apple Snow leopard/printer driver CM chain is misbehaving and why PS seems to be getting caught in the crossfire.

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #144 on: December 10, 2010, 11:29:39 am »

Hi Eric, I have a Canon iPF5000 as well. I will give it a go. However, part of the problem is showing up on my Epson 3880 as well. Try printing an image with a colorsync workflow on your 3880 (say for example, printing an aRGB or prophoto tagged image from Word 2011 or Pages.) They are color managed applications, AFAIK, so for example, a prophoto tagged image displays correctly in these apps.  We should get a reasonable match to what we can print from Photoshop/MacOS10.6 using printer manages colors/colorsync workflow which in turn should reasonably match a photoshop manages colors workflow.  I haven't been able to achieve that result. Granted, these other apps may be irrelevant for LULA readers, but they may provide you with a clue on what part of the Apple Snow leopard/printer driver CM chain is misbehaving and why PS seems to be getting caught in the crossfire.

I am pretty sure your problem with CS5 "Photoshop manages colors" is not specific to the driver (if Main/Color Mode is grayout and defaults to "Color" then yes it is), CS5 or 10.6.5 but specific to your computer. Let us know what you find with your iPF5000.

MHMG

« Reply #145 on: December 10, 2010, 04:01:31 pm »

I am pretty sure your problem with CS5 "Photoshop manages colors" is not specific to the driver (if Main/Color Mode is grayout and defaults to "Color" then yes it is), CS5 or 10.6.5 but specific to your computer. Let us know what you find with your iPF5000.

Hi Doyle, Eric, et al.,

Ok, so today I ran the same CS5/OS10.6 "photoshop manages colors" trial on my iPF5000, Epson 3880, and iPF8100. Conclusion. I get color managed output (print matches PS softproof) with the ipf5000 and the Ep3880, but 8100 is no good. As I noted previously, no color adjust is set correctly, but the printed result looks like either the source profile or the printer profile is being switched with something like an sRGB profile which causes the whole print to look dull. Yet I get good output from ID to the 8100 using ID's "let Indesign manage colors" workflow, so there's also something specific to PSCS5 or old versus new Apple API's going on here.

Hence, I have to conclude mainly that I have an 8100 driver bug, but one that only seems to waken when printing from PSCS5. ID is thus my workaround until I can figure something else out or Canon updates the driver (like Canon just did for the x300 series printers). Weird that the even older x000 series printers don't have the same problem.

Thanks Eric for the suggestion to my other Canon. I probably would have gotten there eventually, but there are so many possible combinations of print settings to try that it could have taken me days!

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #146 on: December 10, 2010, 04:13:08 pm »

Is the 8100 listed in the ColorSync Utility? Similar to the 5000? If you click on the line that lists sRGB are they both the same or are they different? If different, are both profiles available to the OS as in Library/Colorsync/Profiles?

The other sRGB default profile that Canon uses is CNZSRGBC.icc with an internal file name of sRGB v3.0 (Canon). You may have deleted this file.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 04:19:12 pm by Doyle Yoder »

MHMG

« Reply #147 on: December 10, 2010, 04:44:46 pm »

Is the 8100 listed in the ColorSync Utility? Similar to the 5000? If you click on the line that lists sRGB are they both the same or are they different? If different, are both profiles available to the OS as in Library/Colorsync/Profiles?

The other sRGB default profile that Canon uses is CNZSRGBC.icc with an internal file name of sRGB v3.0 (Canon). You may have deleted this file.

Both the ipF5000 and the iPF8100 are listed in the ColorSync Utility. The 5000 lists sRGB v1.2(canon) with profile internal name and filename the same. the 8100 lists sRGB v3.0 (canon) but with filename CNZSRGBC.icc. Both profiles are located in same Library/Colorsync/Profiles path.

Not to muddy the waters anymore than they already are, but while I was printing to my three printers for the "PS manages colors" tests, I also tried printing the same image (saved to PDF with prophoto embedded tag) from Acrobat Pro 9.0 using "Acrobat manages colors". I was curious to see if it would behave like ID or PS or neither. For all three printers, it behaved like neither ID nor PS. It produced a weird hypersaturated image from all three printers. Are CM workflows a mess in Snow Leopard or what?

I then tried printing with "Printer manages colors" from Pages, IDCS5, PSCS5, and Adobe Reader. Got consistent output from all except the 8100 using PS. That path is also whacked. But the overall consistency I saw using Snow Leopard's colorsync printing path is not particularly useful because it doesn't match output from PS managed color. While it looks like plausibly color managed output it is sufficiently different enough to make Adobe apps that have softproof capability not very predictive. In other words, for us Snow Leopard users we seem to be down to using PS or ID manages colors if we want to work in an effective softproofing environment, and even there it seems like the Adobe apps aren't always playing nice with the printer drivers for whatever reasons. 

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #148 on: December 10, 2010, 05:07:23 pm »

Both the ipF5000 and the iPF8100 are listed in the ColorSync Utility. The 5000 lists sRGB v1.2(canon) with profile internal name and filename the same. the 8100 lists sRGB v3.0 (canon) but with filename CNZSRGBC.icc. Both profiles are located in same Library/Colorsync/Profiles path.

For the 8100 in the ColorSync Utility, are all profiles listed in the CU also in the Library/Colorsync/Profiles folder?

I couple things you could try. Change the default sRGB profile for the 8100 to the sRGB v1.2(canon) or change the 5000 to sRGB v3.0 (canon) to see if either one makes any difference. If you have the Onyx utility delete the CUPS and ColorSync caches. It would not hurt at all to delete all caches while your at it. If it was me I would remove the 8100 for Printer & Fax and then add the 8100 back in. If that does not fix it I would remove both Canon printers and run the uninstall for each. Then install the 5000 and then the 8100 drivers. If you don't want to reupdate your media listings save the cip files (in Library/Printers/Canon/GARO/Frameworks) for each printer and copy them back in after you reinstall the drivers.

MHMG

« Reply #149 on: December 10, 2010, 07:14:05 pm »

For the 8100 in the ColorSync Utility, are all profiles listed in the CU also in the Library/Colorsync/Profiles folder?

I couple things you could try. Change the default sRGB profile for the 8100 to the sRGB v1.2(canon) or change the 5000 to sRGB v3.0 (canon) to see if either one makes any difference. If you have the Onyx utility delete the CUPS and ColorSync caches. It would not hurt at all to delete all caches while your at it. If it was me I would remove the 8100 for Printer & Fax and then add the 8100 back in. If that does not fix it I would remove both Canon printers and run the uninstall for each. Then install the 5000 and then the 8100 drivers. If you don't want to reupdate your media listings save the cip files (in Library/Printers/Canon/GARO/Frameworks) for each printer and copy them back in after you reinstall the drivers.

Doyle, thanks. My son comes home from Penn State in a few days. I will install the 8100 driver on his Snow Leopard laptop and see if a clean install fixes the problem. If it does, I will then go the whole uninstall route on my machine. It may be a specific computer/driver issue, but I've seen so much weirdness these last few days with CM in general with Snow leopard that I'm inclined to believe the problems are widespread.

cheers,
Mark
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up