Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Lightroom 2 still available? Also, running it on a G5 2.0 dual with 8 gig ram  (Read 2392 times)

Pete JF

Im thinking about Lightroom and wondering if LR2 is going to run on my old G5 without causing me to grind my teeth away waiting for things to happen.

Seems I can still find it for sale around the web.

Thanks...

francois

Im thinking about Lightroom and wondering if LR2 is going to run on my old G5 without causing me to grind my teeth away waiting for things to happen.

Seems I can still find it for sale around the web.

Thanks...
I have been using Lightroom 2.x on a dual G5 (2x2GHz) until last week. I kept it with a library of my old images. If you have enough RAM (something like 4GB should be OK) and a fast HD, Lightroom should be usable. It won't be as quick as a Mac Pro or even a MacBook Pro. Initially, on that computer, I had a Green WD hard drive and it was dog slow. Once equipped with a fater drive, Lightroom became more responsive, almost pleasant.
Francois

sm906

• thomas hintze fotografie

LR3 has (also) improved in terms of speed, compared to LR2. That's why I would suspect that when LR2 has an acceptable performance on your machine, LR3 will run a bit better. Especially the 64 bit version makes a remarkable difference (on Wintel computers at least).

Probably that's why your are asking, but I pose the question anyway: Did you already test LR3 on your computer?

Thomas

nature-architecture-panorama-fineart
Web hintze-photo.com | YT youtube.com/c/rawakademie

dudu307

Thomas,

Lightroom 3 is intel only, the OP has a G5 (PowerPC).

Regards

sm906

• thomas hintze fotografie

Lightroom 3 is intel only, the OP has a G5 (PowerPC).
dudu307,

ah, thanks for the hint. Please excuse my Intel ignorance  ;). I did not realize that G5 is not the same as Mac OS. Lesson learned.

Thomas

nature-architecture-panorama-fineart
Web hintze-photo.com | YT youtube.com/c/rawakademie

Pete JF

Thanks for the input folks, appreciated. Think I'll hold off on Lightroom until I upgrade my system in 2015.
Pages: [1]   Go Up