Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: capture one and dng saga  (Read 6190 times)

fredjeang

capture one and dng saga
« on: November 30, 2010, 04:56:39 am »

Hi,

I have a question: why C1 is unable to read properlly the DNG files from certain cameras while it reads the native files. But if you convert those native files into DNG using the Adobe DNG converter (latest version), then C1 would read perfectly the DNG files generated by the Adobe converter. In short, C1 does not recognized the DNG in-camera but yes the DNG from the Adobe converter.

I'm missing a point here. It seems there are DNGs and DNGs. Another non standardization where precisely it was supposed to be a stable standard ?

This DNG is a mess. Is it really worth and makes sense?

sandymc

Re: capture one and dng saga
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 08:24:06 am »

Well, there are DNGs and DNGs - the spec has gone through at least three major revisions.

But the issue with C1 is more likely to be be C1 itself rather than the standard. Originally, Phase One wrote C1's DNG importer only to support specific cameras, e.g., the Leica M8, and the importer was notoriously intolerant of even small variations in format. Since then it's become a lot better, supporting more and more variations of DNG files, but the C1 importer still only implements a subset of the full DNG spec. BTW, before you assume that Phase One should be doing better, be aware that so far as I am aware, the only full implementations of the DNG spec are in the Adobe products.

Sandy

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: capture one and dng saga
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 09:17:41 am »

I'm missing a point here. It seems there are DNGs and DNGs. Another non standardization where precisely it was supposed to be a stable standard ?

You would think that wouldn't you? Not so much. Also most DNG workflows tend to throw away a lot of camera-specific data sets like black calibration files which make a big difference for some kinds of images.

This DNG is a mess. Is it really worth and makes sense?

Nope. (IMO)

In the wild west early days of digital photography the only software that could open any given raw file was the manufacturer's software. Now almost all raw files can be open by at least three different pieces of software and VERY few formats are dropped as that software receives revisions.

The chances are very very diminished (compared to the early days of digital when the chance was very real) that you won't be able to open any raw from today with a few minutes worth of effort in the future.

The only 100% guaranteed future compatible file is a TIFF (mainly because it takes only minutes to write a program that can read/understand a TIFF with complete accuracy).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Pages: [1]   Go Up