Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad wants $1300 to clean my CCD  (Read 7541 times)

peteforde

Hasselblad wants $1300 to clean my CCD
« on: November 30, 2010, 03:10:33 am »

I bought a used Imacon Ixpress (16MP) here in Toronto this summer which appeared to be in fine working order. Unfortunately when I downloaded the first batch of photos, there was a persistent horizontal line in every shot. It didn't show up on the preview LCD, but on my computer it seemed to be a single row alpha blending with the background (ie. it would change colour depending on the surrounding pixels). The rep here suggested that I had a bad pixel and so I sent it to Hasselblad for a formal RMA process.

Here's where things got weird.

I was following along with the support manifest and saw what appears to be good news:

Cleaning and calibration – Your Digital Back has been checked to meet with the latest Hasselblad firmware and hardware product specifications. The CCD has been calibrated and tested for image defects. The gasket mounted and the IR-filter replaced. The IR-filter and CCD have been checked for contamination/cleaned and checked for dust and defects once again. The CCD alignments have been checked and the CCD focus measured and adjusted as appropriate.

Of course I was happy to hear this, but then I started to get concerned because nobody had quoted me a price and I technically hadn't authorized any work. So when I got an email from a Hasselblad rep, I was curious what it would say.

We received an estimate from Denmark on your equipment and they determined the back
needs a CCD cleaning and flash sync repair. The image bank also needs a flash sync repair. The total
for both pieces is $1,245.00 including shipping. Please advise if you want to proceed.

First thing: $1,245 for a CCD cleaning?! I don't know what's involved in fixing the flash sync, but I use natural light so I honestly don't care if the flash sync is toast. So LL folks, is this totally normal? I know that Hasselblad is synonymous with expensive everything, but even $500 to clean a CCD is extortion.

However, I am far more weirded out by the fact that the service ticket is written in past tense. According to that document, they've looked at it and fixed it. Right? So I replied:

Hi Maryann. Are these steps guaranteed to fix the issue? According to this the work has already been performed, past-tense. However, it doesn't suggest that it was successful? It's a very confusing process. At any rate, $1300 to clean a CCD seems completely insane, don't you think? Are they cleaning it with the tears of virgins? Pete

Her reply is somewhat vexing:

The work has not been done. I sent you an estimate $1,245.00 for your approval.  The digital back
needs a CCD cleaning plus a flash sync repair.  The Image bank also needs a flash sync repair.  I am
sorry for the confusion.

I reply:

You didn't answer my first question, and it's important: will this $1245 get me a working digital back? Or will it still potentially not fix the issue?

Her final reply to date:

Yes it will give you a working digital back.

Okay, so this just doesn't add up. How could they know that all it requires is a cleaning in order to restore it to a normal state? How could this woman possibly guarantee that a simple cleaning would fix a row of pixels if they haven't done the work yet? There's a serious logical fallacy here, or at least chicken/egg.

The golden question: if I said, "thanks but no thanks" would they just send back my unit? I'm not looking for an angle here, I literally just don't know what to think. I can't understand why she would just lie to me, but there's clearly something that doesn't add up. I suspect that I'm the one who'd end up losing here if I do the wrong thing. I'm not a pro shooter — $1300 is almost 2/3 what I paid for the back.

Any advice for someone just starting out who's willing to listen to those more experienced?

Pete

BenNorton

• Benjamin Norton Photography
Re: Hasselblad wants $1300 to clean my CCD
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 05:14:07 am »

It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer but a CCD calibration is to do with the sensors 'personality'. I do repairs for the Leaf backs in the UK and that calibration basically means getting the two halves of the sensor to match in terms of output so you don't get a line through the middle of the image.
It's not labour intensive but does take a an hour or so.
It's also worth noting this:
The gasket mounted and the IR-filter replaced.

Did you have any fault / scratches etc on the IR filter? It sounds like they want to fit a brand new one. This isn't cheap and will usually set you back between £500-£600 just for the part without labour. A sensor clean with Hasselblad in the UK was around the £300-£400 mark at last count. I'd like to be a little more accurate with the price but the price lists for servicing seem to have been removed from the site and are now quote only.
Sensor cleans can be a pain in the butt and can take a few hours if you have a little piece of dust that just wont go away!

Unfortunately you seem to have been the recipient of the bad luck that can occur when buying second hand equipment. Fingers crossed for a speedy and painless resolution!

Ben
Architectural Photographer based in Louisville KY
Web

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
    • http://jerryreed.net
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 05:37:34 am »

SINAR charged $1,000 to replace the sensor cover glass.  So, what they did for you seems to me to be a bargain.

Jerry Reed

ced

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 06:44:27 am »

For that price I would have all the repairs done as just cleaning or replacing the IR filter will take up most of the cost and yoiu could then be sure all is functioning tip top...
Good luck with your decision.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 08:06:16 am »

Pete,

The quote is simply not for cleaning.  Read through it again.

-New IR Filter
-Repair of Flash Sync connections (If you don't need those then you could asked that to be left out but then if you want to use a technical camera or older camera which requires connection to the flash post on the lens, then you won't be able to use the ixpress in that mode)
-Recalibration
-Focus check and adjustment

And absolutely, it will fix the issue, otherwise the quote would say so.

Note, the quote does not say the IR filter will be cleaned.  It will be replaced and...

"The IR-filter and CCD have been checked for contamination/cleaned and checked for dust and defects once again"

It is to make clear to the customer that the unit goes under a final inspection for cleanliness and to be dust spot free.

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 09:01:50 am »

Sometimes (and perhaps here) there is a mixup in these things. Two things might have happened:

1) the relationship of quoting for authorization and doing the work can get "back to front". This can happen for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that once they are into the guts of the back to figure out what is wrong, its just as sensible to fix it then. Or perhaps the cart got ahead of the horse internally and the repair folks forgot to ask.

2) the language tenses can get a bit mixed up - the work and the original internal correspondance may not have been  in English. Translations can get squirrely.

If they did all they said they did, the $1300 is a good price. It may nt have been what you wanted, or expected, but then again, once you send one of these things back to the original manufacturer, they do what they believe is right to make it right. Overall, buying used gear is trickier in this sector of the market - if there is a problem, its usually not cheap to fix. On the other hand, you will be getting a freshly calibrated back to enjoy.     
Geoff

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 09:33:14 am »

Reading the response from Hasselblad tells me that:

1. Cleaning and calibration has been done. Past tense. Correct. Firmware updates and specification checks also done. As per Hasselblad website, they charge 315 EURO for this.

2. They tell you that to bring your back up to full working order, they will need to fix the flash sync on both the back AND the ImageBank. Not past tense. Not done yet, until you approve the amount and work to be done.

3. The amount quoted is for BOTH the cleaning, calibration and flash sync repair, that is $1,245. As David said, you could opt for only the cleaning and calibration, but that wouldn't yield a very useful back. Them flash sync sockets are essential IMHO.

Having done Ixpress cleaning and calibration myself before, I can say that it certainly didn't cost US$1,245 just for cleaning & calibration when I did it, including shipping and insurance.

Good luck. I don't see any wrong doing or anything dubious on their part, to be honest.

vandevanterSH

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 02:27:58 pm »

I had similar work done on my CFV for about the same price.  Considering what I have seen posted for repair costs on other mfg. backs, I thought $1200+ was a bargain.  As an aside, getting a "good deal" on a used back may not be such a good deal after all.

I have also recently sent  quite a few of my "V" series bodies, backs and lenses to H'blad, NJ-USA,  for cleaning, repairs, and"bringing up to specs" and have been pleased that, from my perspective, the costs have been reasonable.

Steve

bcooter

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 03:29:11 pm »

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but it seems to me you should be thrilled.   

In the world of professional cameras you got a deal.

You bought a used back and for $1,350 Hasselblad will factory upgrade and improve it to new standards for the price of a consumer fix.   

I think Phase charges over $2,000 just to change the clock battery on a back (if I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected).

If you buy a used RED just to have it registered in your name as the owner and receive firmware upgrades costs $750, though they do inspect the camera and give a 90 day warranty. (once again if I'm wrong then I'm sure I'll be corrected).

Let's face it professional equipment usually is subjected to more use/abuse and the fact that Hasselblad sent you a detailed estimate for 1/2 of what others charged you came out good.

IMO

BC

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 03:38:17 pm »

If you buy a used RED just to have it registered in your name as the owner and receive firmware upgrades costs $750, though they do inspect the camera and give a 90 day warranty. (once again if I'm wrong then I'm sure I'll be corrected).

BC

Confirmed.
CB

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 07:18:42 pm »

Crazy when you see that a Pentax K5 with similar DR and only a bit less resolution costs less than the repair fee of a 5 years old back.

It reminds me of the money I spend on high end second hand audio cables. At least these don't need calibration though. :D

Cheers,
Bernard

peteforde

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 10:20:01 pm »

All:

Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful replies. I'm genuinely blown away by the quality of the feedback you've given me.

Alright then, consider me happy it's only $1300! I am quite glad I asked... lots to learn, still.

Here is a (cropped) shot I took on the back before I sent it in (I didn't yet realize there would be any issue). I'm really excited to put this thing through the paces in the future.

Pete

Graham Welland

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 02:48:08 am »

I just ordered a replacement IR filter for my Leaf Aptus 65 and that was $850 @ cost, without being fitted cleaned or any electronics being updated, so the fee you've been quoted definitely is in the right ball park as mentioned by others here.

I'm sure that your investment will get you effectively an as new back.  ;)

Graham

BenNorton

• Benjamin Norton Photography
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 04:57:56 am »

I just ordered a replacement IR filter for my Leaf Aptus 65 and that was $850 @ cost, without being fitted cleaned or any electronics being updated, so the fee you've been quoted definitely is in the right ball park as mentioned by others here.

I'm sure that your investment will get you effectively an as new back.  ;)

Who did you order that through if you don't mind my asking?
Architectural Photographer based in Louisville KY
Web

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 11:51:37 am »

Hi,

How much improvement do you get on DR with those cables?

Best regards
Erik

Crazy when you see that a Pentax K5 with similar DR and only a bit less resolution costs less than the repair fee of a 5 years old back.

It reminds me of the money I spend on high end second hand audio cables. At least these don't need calibration though. :D

Cheers,
Bernard

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up