Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coating baryta papers  (Read 992 times)

Robcat

Coating baryta papers
« on: November 29, 2010, 08:34:12 pm »

Who has experience coating baryta papers for open mounting (i.e. not behind glass)?

I use the standard aerosols for scuff protection for matted prints but I think something thicker is needed for prints that will be in the open. I have tried a few things so far on the combination of Hahnemuhle/Harman gloss baryta and Canon 8300. The Breathing Color water-based coatings for canvas seem to melt the ink off the Harman, plus, all the canvas coatings are designed to remain soft and flexible, which would seem to eliminate the ability to sand/rub out the coating---to avoid the laminated "diner menu" look, I want to rub out the coating like one would do with a fine furniture finish. I've tried spraying and brushing Golden Hard MSA varnish (see also this thread, in which Nino describes rolling this product on--http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=45575.0), but this takes 2 weeks to cure fully (per factory and my experience) and even then it doesn't seem to rub out properly. Furthermore, the MSA causes swelling of the paper in areas of low ink load, giving an embossed texture to the image. Has anybody gotten baryta varnishing worked out? How about using automotive lacquers?
Pages: [1]   Go Up