Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Still life with whitewash  (Read 3050 times)

michswiss

Still life with whitewash
« on: November 29, 2010, 07:50:12 pm »

Maybe slightly more interesting than a brick wall.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Still life with whitewash
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 08:26:22 pm »

It looks like four characters in a scene from a play. The little stubby one in the middle (the hydrant) is mouthing off to the two lazy ones on the left and the one on the right because he's had to dig this whole big pile of dirt all by himself with no help from them. Or maybe they are gange-sters who have made him dig his own grave.

I like this kind of image that gets my imagination going. With a couple of beers in me I can probably come up with several more outlandish readings of it.

It's a fun picture, and much more interesting (at least to the likes of me) than a brick wall.

Thanks for sharing it, Jennifer.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

JBerardi

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 08:43:17 pm »

A photo that features a red fire hydrant without being a horrible cliche? That's a win in my book. I like the rigid geometry of the composition combined with the grit and texture of the scene. Watch those clarity/local contrast halos, though.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 07:28:04 am »

I miss the marshmellowman who has slimed these guys from the left side.
Nice one !

popnfresh

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 12:00:39 pm »

I feel as though you have two photographs here. One is an image of two logs leaning against a white column, and the other is a white column with a paint splattered fire hydrant and a utility pole to the right of it.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 03:29:10 pm »

I'll go with Eric's description...

Well seen!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 04:44:22 am »

I'll go with Eric's description...

Well seen!

Mike.

+1

What halos?

Rob C

michswiss

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 06:05:44 am »

+1

What halos?

Rob C

There are mild halos over the tops of the two logs.  I need to go back and do a little reprocessing.  As to the shot itself, it's just a little fun from something I saw wandering around Qibao district a week ago.  Glad you like it.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 11:26:27 am »

Ah, I see what was meant, now. I never look for things like that in pictures: I only care if they appeal to me or not on their own merits. But, having had the effect pointed out to me, I now think I recognize something I've seen on my own pics now and then, and had imagined was just the result of poor masking when making local selections...

On the other hand, look at it this way: you had to pay a small fortune to buy a set of Softar filters to do the same on a Hasselblad.

I had an adaptor that allowed me to use mine on the Nikkon lenses too. I have noticed that one such shot, posted here I think some long while back, of a girl sitting on a rock in a garden in Singapore, partly backlit to get the halo effect, lost almost all of said effect when I thought I had to give the image a little bit of sharpening to post it. On film, when sharpening wasn't within the snappers remit, your Softar gave you good detail as well as a soft halo effect, all at the same time, unlike a normal softening filter that killed everything. (I just looked to check: the shot in question is the second one in the first gallery in my website, but the halo is virtually invisible at 500 pix. across the image, so pointless checking; sharpened right away!)

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 11:51:39 am »

Actually even our eyes (the retina) produce halos, due to lateral inhibition.
We all have built-in neuronal network sharpening ...

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 12:06:24 am »

at first glance I didn't care for this image. Then I realized this is one of those images that invite one to invent a story - I'm thinking of an explosion in the paint factory.....

David Saffir
GuruShots Photo Critique - contributor on Gurushots, a new resource for creative photographers

David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor

michswiss

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 01:14:54 am »

at first glance I didn't care for this image. Then I realized this is one of those images that invite one to invent a story - I'm thinking of an explosion in the paint factory.....

David Saffir
GuruShots Photo Critique - contributor on Gurushots, a new resource for creative photographers

I'm still waiting to hear what Eric came up with after the couple of extra beers!  But yeah, it was the paint explosion diagonally across the scene that originally caught my attention. 

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 04:01:51 am »

I'm still waiting to hear what Eric came up with after the couple of extra beers!  But yeah, it was the paint explosion diagonally across the scene that originally caught my attention. 

And here I was, thinking it represented the ubiquitous reach of global vandalism when all it was was an accident. Or was that a tautology?

Too much information, love!

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up