Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon d7000 as video camera only?  (Read 9029 times)

gwhitf

Nikon d7000 as video camera only?
« on: November 28, 2010, 03:42:03 pm »

Im using this d7000 only as a video camera, nothing for stills. Would love to find some way in the custom functions to activate the start/stop of recording with the traditional shutter release with index finger, rather than the weird thumb action with the Live View. Anyone discovered a way to do this? I want to convert this thing to full video use, rather than video being second class citizen. Buttons, operation, etc.

Im waiting for the day when Nikon releases a camera like this that wont even shoot a still image. Video only, but in that same form factor, but designed only for best video performance and handling.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 03:44:40 pm by gwhitf »

SeanBK

Re: Nikon d7000 as video camera only?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 01:50:39 pm »

I do have D7000 and do find the video use very good. I am not yet familiar with the camera to suggest a solution, so video on/off switch is easier controlled, like a user defined button like Hasselblad has.
  But I do have a question regarding video out of D7000. Which software do you like for editing purposes? I have mac & PC platforms but would prefer PC workflow for editing software, so what software program you recommend?
  Thanks

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 09:07:01 pm »

The usual suspects for editing video on the Mac starts with iVideo, then FCP Express and the big one, FCP. Others prefer Adobe Premier.

For the PC, Adobe Premier comes to mind as does Avid as the heavyweights.

Best bet is to find a Final Cut Pro UG near you, attend a meeting and then ask around. Though the group says Final Cut Pro, the group I go to has people using other platforms. They even welcome people like me who do still and produce video from them! The last meeting I went to was a screening of short videos all presented using a PC, so Mac and FCP isn't the only thing shown at these meetings, despite the name...

If you aren't in a hurry to start the process NAB in Las Vegas in April is the place to go, ask questions and learn what's there. 17 acres (7 hectares) of exhibits, displays, hardware and software all in one place plus the FCPUG super-group meeting.

In California's Bay Area, the FCPUG Supermeet is generally around Macworld in January and would be another good place to take a look.

Here's a discussion of Avid on the board: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=46627.0

HTH,
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

SeanBK

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 08:41:26 am »

Thank you Larry. That is a lot of exact guidance I was hoping to get. Do appreciate your time & effort, this Sat there is a local meeting & symposium that may shed some additional light @ my software quest.
  Sean

bjammin

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 07:39:10 pm »

Check the D7000 manual and you will see that you can program the FN button on the front of the camera as a start/stop button.  It's still somewhat awkward, but it does work and can be accessed with the index finger.

With regard to editing software, Final Cut Pro or its less expensive cousin Final Cut Express are great choices since almost half of all edit systems in use today are Final Cut systems and it has a robust support community.

If you would prefer to use your PC, then AVID media composer is the most sophisticated editing system available on the PC platform though you may find the cost too high.  In that case, Adobe Premier is a good alternative.

Good Luck!

fredjeang

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 09:56:03 am »

Hi,

Nikon in video is the same as Pentax. In short, another mess. Then getting another at least 3000 euros (welcome to the new world order) on accessories like: mate box on rail, external lcd, follow focus, batteries, ext mic and arm etc...and you have something usable, and you look like Robocop.(ahh dslrs). It takes at least 5min to put all that in working order.

Something that made me laugh, I phones the Zacuto's dealer in Madrid and asked for an external LCD I've been recommend, so the guy was saying that I had logically to ad another what they call "magic arm" or magic something. From a 500 euros lcd, adding the battery and magical support the bill jumps to more than 1000 euros taxes included. I really like those marketing guys with their magic bills really.

In Nikkors (I don't know to wich extend the Nikon's bodies have a compatibility with vintage manual lenses), the vintage pearls work brillantly and probably shoot 720. 
There are no other options in terms of frame rate and you are stucked to a limited range of parameters, like with Pentax. And I've heard that this Nikon has a prob with live view, not allowing to change properlly the aperture once live view is on. Or it's a hoax or Nikon is kidding because that would be a serious issue.

Edit: It's confirmed that with the D7000, aperture is not adjustable when you are in Live view and manual mode. Don't know if when in video you recuperate the function while filming. But what a stupid implementation from Nikon! sure they will fix that in a firware soon.

I think gwhitf that if you want a superfast access to video with the traditional shutter button, it really goes against what those cameras can do because just putting the machinery in combat order with all the accessory's saga is slower than a turtle, but that's my 2$ thought. The irony is that, thinking the same as you, many users claimed that a dedicated button would make sense and manufacturers are implementing it, yes...it would in the case that you can use the traditional shutter to shoot stills (jump to) when you are in the video process and I'm not sure the D7000 can do that.

Changing my optics (I avoid using zooms, not for purist but simply because I have a range of MF primes from a time where photography was...well, a craft?) with that mess seems more like a meditation process than anything else. So in all that slowness, direct access to this or that is just not going to help anything, unless you just want to do candid's videos and be ready for the unexpected, as you said if your camera is setted to video permanently, using the normal shutter button makes sense, being the most natural for the old foxes.
The new kids will love this dedicated (red ?) button.

I'm afraid your dream of a Nikon's dedicated video camera really usable is not today. Same as Canon and Pentax. As I pointed here, I think the only way is building accessories or invest on bigger artillery like the Red and problem solved. If I had the incomes to do that today (and the needs) I won't hesitate.

Here is a good place to start for chasing the precious accessories, usefull link (India has its goodies too in this crisis economy): http://www.thecinecity.com/eshop/home.php
They are serious.

Good luck and good video shooting.

Fred.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:40:02 am by fredjeang »

bcooter

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 04:28:54 pm »

Im waiting for the day when Nikon releases a camera like this that wont even shoot a still image. Video only, but in that same form factor, but designed only for best video performance and handling.

You know a lot about cameras, so I'm sure you've found out they really don't make what you want.

Not sure if they ever will, which is kind of strange because you know the video makers like Panasonic/Sony could do it.

I don't know about the d700, but the 5d2 can shoot some nice video, though, it line skips, will moire when you least want it to, and it's always ackward.  It's great with real shallow dof but for tight commerce it's a problem child. 

Modern still lenses are difficult to track and follow focus on moving subjects because 1/4" of turn can mean 12' of focus change.

First we tricked out our 5d trying to make it do everything we wanted.  Now we've purchased a RED and you would hate it because it's weighs more than a toyota and has the ergonomics of a riding lawn mower.

The upside is the RED is a video/motion camera with no other reason to be.  It shoots a raw file, it has 4k resolution, it doesn't alaise, (yet) and it's high iso in motion.

They also have the best lcd I've ever seen.  It is readable in bright sunlight without a hood.

The downside is it's expensive and everything that you put on it is expensive.  Lenses are 4 grand a pop (minimum), the battery is the size of your d700 and you'll need three to get through a day.

Also the workflow is still a work in progress and for real time professional review you need dedicated processors and breakout boxes. 

The 5d2, which you've used, to me is just a nightmare for most video.   You can't really focus on the back lcd without always zooming in and without an external monitor you can't really get in the proper body position to hold the camera steady and it's kind of of a murky file.

The D700 might be better.  I haven't tried it yet, though bottom line is, they just don't make the camera you want.

IMO

BC

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 04:04:34 am »

The d7000 looks nice as DSLR vid cams go

to me having the ability to (simply and cheaply) take modern nikkors is great because I own a pile

it has (unlike the 7d) sound levels

I dont know about the HDMI out

(the 5d is crippled by pispoor hdmi out while rolling  meaning you an shoot nice travelogues but its really scary doing a shot for a client half blind)

The 7d has the best HDMI out

But the nikon has one BIG THING

24p  - or rather no 25p - now if you are in europe that could mess with your head

If I had sensible reports of the HDMI out quality and it had 25p i would swap for my 7d now

given those weaknesses Id say that the 7d is the current king of the hill still

S

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 04:06:10 am by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

fredjeang

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 07:24:37 am »

Morgan, I have a slightly different feeling about this D7000 and about the modern AF Nikkors. I've been using the Pentax line wich share the same sensors as Nikon since the D90 and their solutions for video are quite similar: limitated. too limitated. 25p is great and what it is not great is being stucked 24. No options in the highest configuration. Same for Pentax, one option, while Canon propose much more logical choices.
Then again, people are asking why Canon over and over again but it's true that Canon seems to understand something the others don't want to. Or am I wrong?
Where is the logic? :

NIKON D7000
1920 x 1080 24fps
1280 x 720   30, 25 or 24fps
640 x 424     24fps

I don't really get it. Are those choices made with a logic in mind or is it just an engineering mess? Why not the 3 choices in 1920 like Canon?

PENTAX K5
1960 x 1080 16:9 25fps (again stucked there with no alternatives)
1280 x 720          30 or 25fps
640 x 480            30 or 25fps

Canon 1D MK4
1920 x 1080       30, 25, or 24fps
1280 x 720         60 or 50 fps
640 x 480           60 or 50 fps

http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?tag=canon-1d-mark-iv

Also, I can see that in low-light, the 5D smokes those cameras, the FF area still matters.
What I like and you might think I'm crazy, is the motion jpegs rather than the too compressed for my taste Canon's files. It's heavier and card consumer but much cleaner.
Also, this D7000 issue with aperture in live view should be observed because it makes no sense.
Then, what I found is those vintages manual lenses are very suitable for video. Sometimes thought, the focusing ring is too short and make the focus critical, what was great for stills becomes a problem in video but even with that, they are so smooth that I found e-bay being the best friend for chasing suitable optics (on a budget). Really, those AF modern lenses are not good at all for video IMO. The AF with live view is not yet at the level, and should be soon, so the current optics are not really capable. Don't know if the cine Zeiss can be mounted on Nikon as well.
Also, the aps does not allow the same short d.o.f than the 5D2 and for me it also matters.

I agree that in the dslr, the best video tool remains the 7D to date. (well, the latest 5D2 firware solved many issues) Maybe the 1D MK4 should be a great tool for what I've heard but I've never tryed it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 07:55:51 am by fredjeang »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 08:18:52 am »

I reckon the 1ds is probably best but because (for motion) it will be superceded in maybe a year so too much depreciation for me

On lenses I think that smoooooooth action is most important and my nikkor 70-200 is great for that

also with converters you get wobbles (eg nikon on canon)

curable but another link in the chain

of things you must get right

I have ended up with a canon 24-105 (5d) Tonka 16-50 (7d) and 70-200 canon (both) even though I have a lot of other glass

Edit, also in a car etc the elements can wobble (and your shot) which is why I like lenses that dont grow when zoomed - eg nikkor 14-24 or (maybe 17-50 DX)

S

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:31:46 am by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up