Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC PA271W DOA?  (Read 4713 times)

gkroeger

NEC PA271W DOA?
« on: November 27, 2010, 08:34:59 pm »

We just received a PA271W.  When powered up, it displays the NEC splash screen then goes black.  Menu button doesn't produce a visible menu.  Connecting a DVI source results in a momentary display from the computer, then goes black.  This happens with both DVI inputs.  Pressing the input button with no input connected momentarily displays the input menu. All of the above are repeatable, but nothing seems to produce a working display. My best guess is that the CFL won't stay on.

Is there any "master firmware reset" that I can try... or should I just box it up for return?

Thanks.  Glenn

BTW, we have several working PA241s and 2690s and have never seen this behavior.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 08:57:18 pm by gkroeger »

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Re: NEC PA271W DOA?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 09:38:16 pm »

Sorry to hear about your problem. I installed a PA271w last week without a hitch.

The following is from the manual.

Troubleshooting
No picture
• The signal cable should be completely connected to the display card/computer.
• The display card should be completely seated in its slot.
• The monitor does not support DisplayPort converter signal.
• Front Power Switch and computer power switch should be in the ON position.
• Check to make sure that a supported mode has been selected on the display card or system being used.
(Please consult display card or system manual to change graphics mode.)
• Check the monitor and your display card with respect to compatibility and recommended settings.
• Check the signal cable connector for bent or pushed-in pins.
• Check the signal input, “DVI-D”, “DisplayPort” or “D-Sub”.
• If the front LED is blinking amber, check the status of the OFF MODE mode (see page 13).
• When using a DVD player or any other type of high-defi nition device, please do not use interlaced signals. If the monitor
detects an interlaced signal, an OSD warning will appear. If this OSD warning appears, please do the following: press the
RESET and EXIT buttons simultaneously, to temporarily show the image coming from the high-defi nition device. While
the image is visible, change the signal of the device from interlaced to progressive (non-interlaced). Consult the User’s
Manual included with the device for detailed information on changing the signal from interlaced to progressive.

. . .

Image is unstable, unfocused or swimming is apparent
• Signal cable should be completely attached to the computer.
• Use the OSD Image Adjust controls to focus and adjust display by increasing or decreasing the fi ne adjustment.
When the display mode is changed, the OSD Image Adjust settings may need to be readjusted.
• Check the monitor and your display card with respect to compatibility and recommended signal timings.
• If your text is garbled, change the video mode to non-interlace and use 60Hz refresh rate.

. . .

Self Diagnosis
• The LCD display is equipped with the ability to self diagnose abnormalities. When the LCD detects a problem, the LED
on the front fl ashes in a pattern of long and short blinks, depending on the type of problem detected.
• If the LED signals a problem, please refer service to qualifi ed personnel.
~ CB

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 02:02:38 am »

Since you have multiple monitors, I would put a known working monitor on the station giving you trouble and the non-working monitor on a station you know is OK.  This will tell you if the problem is the monitor or the computer.

gkroeger

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 08:51:47 am »

Turns out is was indeed a defective CFL backlight.  NEC online support was quick and helpful and a replacement unit is on the way!

Glenn

KenS

• Spark of Light Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 12:17:36 pm »

Congratulations.
... and thanks for the update as I am planning to buy a PA271W in the next few days and I was wondering how your problem would be resolved.

headproductions

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 03:51:07 am »

Hi John-S,

I got my monitor about a month ago hoping to replace my smaller EIZO. I noticed a brighter spot surrounded by a pink band near the top of the screen on the left hand side. I was surprised to see the same exact defect when I installed a PA271W for a client! Through experimentation I found that changing the ColorComp from maximum (default setting) to minimum made the bright spot and pink band go away. Unfortunately turning off the ColorComp introduced slight yellowing to the bottom of the monitor, it just does not look as clean as it does with ColorComp set to max (except for the bright pink area!). Seems to me that it just might be a bad implementation of ColorComp technology. There is no reason it should make the monitor look worse. Is your defect in the same spot?

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 12:26:57 pm »

I profiled it with ColorEyes as well as SpectraView and find ColorEyes to show way too much in the shadows, almost unrealistic.

Use only the SpectraView software with this monitor. The monitor uses internal electronics and LUTs (Look-up-tables) for display accuracy, and it requires that your computer's display card be taken out of the loop (by linearizing its output and not linking any ICC profile to its output). To change display profiles on a Macintosh, use only the SpectraView software and not the system preferences (see page 6 of the manual).
~ CB

FMueller

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 12:35:23 pm »

Arghh..

I received by PA271W a week ago. When I first tried to power it on---nothing. Disconnected and reconnected the power cord to no effect. Swapped power cords from another monitor and ,aha, it worked. Took the power cord (that I thought was defective) and connected it to the known working monitor and it worked...sigh. Took that cord and reconnected it to PA271W and the it seemed to be happy with that cord. Maybe a faulty connection originally, I don't know.  Happily used my monitor for a few days but this morning I try to power it on and---nothing. I go through the cord switcheroo again, but still nothing. I call my vendor, Other World Computing and they happily set up an exchange.

I'm getting ready to pack it up disconnecting everything and decide to try it one more time---and it works.

I'm still doing the exchange. Why am I sure they'll fire it up just fine when they receive it?

davidh202

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 10:00:14 pm »

I am on a PC not a Mac and I'm not sure if this could have a bearing on your problem but it may not be the power cord.
How long is your DVI cord ?

I have the PA241 and when I first received it last September and while checking out the menus I made the mistake of accidently switching the setting for "long DVI cable" that is in the advanced settings and completely lost the display. Foolishly I did the very same thing on DVI input #2 while trying to restore it.
The manual is not very clear at all as to how to restore the setting but I was able to boot the computer in safe mode and the display worked,  and finally found the well hidden button sequence to restore the factory defaults and finally got it going again after much frustration.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:02:51 pm by davidh202 »

FMueller

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 05:17:57 pm »

Don't think it was the power cord. I couldn't even get a splash screen or the blue power on LED to illuminate. I am connecting from a MacBook Pro via a 6 foot mini-Displayport to Displayport cable. I will have the replacement tomorrow, if somehow my cable is responsible this problem will duplicate. I'll certainly report back here if that is the case.

Fred 

I am on a PC not a Mac and I'm not sure if this could have a bearing on your problem but it may not be the power cord.
How long is your DVI cord ?

I have the PA241 and when I first received it last September and while checking out the menus I made the mistake of accidently switching the setting for "long DVI cable" that is in the advanced settings and completely lost the display. Foolishly I did the very same thing on DVI input #2 while trying to restore it.
The manual is not very clear at all as to how to restore the setting but I was able to boot the computer in safe mode and the display worked,  and finally found the well hidden button sequence to restore the factory defaults and finally got it going again after much frustration.

Pages: [1]   Go Up