Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad and CF Cards  (Read 7123 times)

plunkettphoto

iPad and CF Cards
« on: November 26, 2010, 11:14:22 am »

I know there are similar discussions but let me start one more....

I am considering taking the plunge to an iPad to reduce weight (over a laptop) when traveling.

I obviously need to download thousands of RAW (.CR2) images on any given trip. I have read some support forums on the Apple sight that say use the camera attachment accessary along with a standard 3rd party Compact Flash card reader but one reply said he had lost images by a corrupted card doing this.

I have also read that you can not copy images from the iPad to a usb backup drive.  If this is true then it pretty much kills my idea of using an iPad.

Is anyone using a iPad and downloading from a CF that can offer any advice?

thanks
bill

darr

Re: iPad and CF Cards
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 11:25:55 am »

I have been using an iPad since it first came out.  One thing you need to remember is that the iPad cannot read RAW files.
As far as using the iPad as usb backup drive, I think this is what you will need or something similar:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/07/sanhos-750gb-hyperdrive-photo-backup-hdd-plays-nice-with-your-i/

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-iPad-Hard-Drive-s/183.htm
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 01:11:41 pm by darr »

John S C

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 12:01:39 pm »

The iPad will accept RAW files ( well it does from my 5D and 1Dslll ) However what you see is the jpeg rather than the RAW image. OK to store images on but the transfer rate is very slow compared to a laptop.

Also if you download images from a card. Replace the card in the camera and continue to shoot, leaving the original images still on the card, it will download them as a new event with the new ones, duplicating the images. OK you can delete the original download, but it is time consuming Bit of a pain really.

I find the iPad useful to review and short term store images. This is usually on location when I know I'm going back to base in a day or so time. Anything longer I use the laptop. Plus with the iPad you can't add info re the shot. The USB port I think doesn't supply enough power to power some USB card readers. You get error messages telling you the reader is drawing to much power  (reader  works OK on my Macbook). So you have to download via the camera not a CF card reader. IF you use SD cards no problem as the camera kit comes with SD card reader.

The other disadvantage is you can't back up the files to a portable hard drive for additional security, which you can on a laptop.

The good news is that Lightroom recognises the iPad as an external source so if you have images  stored on the iPad they can be directly loaded into Lightroom without going through iPhoto.

The Ipad has some advantages, but if i was going away for more than a couple of days I would ( and do) take the laptop.

plunkettphoto

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 12:39:49 pm »

Sounds like the iPad isn't quite ready for prime time for traveling photographers.

It still looks really interesting as a media reader

thanks for replies,
bill

BradSmith

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 02:35:39 pm »

Chappers,
You mention slow transfer rate from the camera.  Can you give me an idea how slow this is?  Also how the transfer rate from the camera compares to the tranfer rate from the SD card reader.
I don't have a laptop, and my portable hard drive just bit the dust.  I am thinking that the iPad might be just what I need for backup and web access while traveling.  I know I could get an inexpensive laptop for the same money, but I like the small size and weight of the iPad, plus many of the apps add value. 

thanks
Brad

John S C

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 09:50:44 am »

Brad

Loading direct form the SD card reader seems to be faster. Here are some timings from 300  RAW images from a Lexar  8Gb 133x SD card and my 1DsMk3

( File sizes vary from between 26Mb to 30Mb )

From the camera via the USB Camera kit

Previews 3 min 20 secs.

Download 20 Images 1 min 40 sec

Via the SD card reader

Previews less than 20 seconds

Download 20 images 1 min 15 secs.

In both cases they were the same images.

Now the speed of download is affected by the camera. It seems to take 4 times as long to download images of my 5D Mk1 than the 1Ds. The 5D doesn't take SD cards so should I need to use it with the iPad i've a SD to CF card adapter. Only problem is this does slow down the transfer in the camera meaning it takes longer to clear the buffer. But as I tend not to shoot at a high rate than this is OK

Hope this is useful

John C

BradSmith

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:35:00 pm »

Thanks John.    I guess this is one of those instances where patience would definitely prove to be a virtue.

Brad

dizzyg44

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 12:44:59 pm »

Note to anyone doing this that hasn't upgraded to iOS4..

DO NOT UPGRADE TO iOS4! 

Apple lowered the current draw threshold rendering this function useless.  In fact even some cameras aren't able to connect directly let alone card readers.  There's no supported ways of reverting back to iOS3 either.

andyptak

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 03:02:10 pm »

@dizzy

Duh. What does this mean please?

dizzyg44

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 06:51:50 pm »

If you upgrade your Ipad to iOS4 you will not be able to connect and use card readers and other devices like keyboards using your camera connection kit.

You will receive an error that the device uses too much power even on devices that worked great in iOS3.

andyptak

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 07:23:18 am »

Am I given an option to upgrade or does an iPad upgrade automatcially when it is connected and Syncs? Thanks

dizzyg44

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 09:10:52 am »

depends on your setting in iTunes but normally yes it will tell you it's available and ask first.

andyptak

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 10:11:18 am »

I've been afraid to turn my iPad on and check the status in case I invoke an update that messes up my CF reader - - and I'm not an Apple guy anyway, so my knowledge is limited to messing around with my new iPad: BUT, I think I've figured this out (maybe?) is iOS4 an iPhone 3G thing and therefore only an issue if I have a 3G iPad? Which I don't, by the way.

andyptak

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 01:57:42 pm »

Okay, now I get it - because I'm screwed! That's right, my Hyperdrive iPad edition will not work anymore. I guess I must have an updated OS.

This is the one and only Apple product I have ever bought and have learned my lesson to never purchase one again. Steve Jobs doesn't give a damn about his customers, which is why i'm a PC guy, and this is just one more example of that.

1 iPad and 1 Hyperdrive = $1600 of crap that can't communicate anymore.

Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up