Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Namaste ...  (Read 1424 times)

JohnKoerner

Namaste ...
« on: November 23, 2010, 06:05:33 pm »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Namaste ...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 08:53:11 pm »

That's a very happy monk, Jack!  Looks to have been sitting there for a while, though...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

JohnKoerner

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 09:10:35 pm »

That's a very happy monk, Jack!  Looks to have been sitting there for a while, though...
Mike.

Yes he has Mike ... it's part of his charm

Here are some more images to help set the peaceful and surreal mood ...

Enjoy!

Jack

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 10:56:05 pm »

An elegant image of the monk. Some thoughts:

The overall color cast is tends toward blue - usually comes from an open sky. Did you intend this?
The texture in the stone is crisp and strong, and your background bokeh is very good - soft and
not a distraction to your main subject.
Last - have you considered cropping a bit toward one side or another, so that the subject is not
centered? This kind of crop would give a bit more tension and energy to the image.

David Saffir
GuruShots Photo Critique - for more photo critique resources
David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor

JohnKoerner

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 05:37:14 am »

Thank you for taking the time David. In response to your comments:

An elegant image of the monk. Some thoughts:

Thank you.

The overall color cast is tends toward blue - usually comes from an open sky. Did you intend this?

Yes. The entire area was surrounded by Bamboo and a bluish-green grass. The statue itself was gray-blue with green moss on it. The sky itself was blue but semi-cloudy in patches.

The texture in the stone is crisp and strong, and your background bokeh is very good - soft and
not a distraction to your main subject.

Thank you. The part of the background I myself did not like was the bird bath off to the right. But, although I took several photos, this one I feel best captured "expression" of prayer in the statue.

Last - have you considered cropping a bit toward one side or another, so that the subject is not
centered? This kind of crop would give a bit more tension and energy to the image.
David Saffir

I think you're right. Had I composed the shot at the same proximity and level, but with the Buddha off to the right of the image, I would have eliminated that bird bath in the right-background and had more grass and natural flora on the left-background, which would have enhanced the feeling of peace I think.

So thank you for pointing that out, and thank you again for taking the time to comment :)

Jack

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 05:25:29 pm »

John - the second of these images caught my eye. It's extraordinary in its gentle tones and subtlety, side-by-side with an abundance of very clear, sharp
detail. I particularly like the way the flower leans in against the stem. As before, bokeh is impeccable.

A couple of thoughts for you - although your background is soft and dreamlike, I think you'd benefit from att burning in
the corners some more - perhaps quite a bit more - you've already got a bit of extra luminance around your main subject.

You might also want to try cropping just a touch at the bottom, and on the right up to the "g" in your lower watermark. Just give
it a try, and let me know what you think. My feeling is that it won't spoil the serenity of your original concept, and yet hold the viewers eye
in an even more compelling fashion.

I really appreciate your use of color as a "theme" - in many cases, it doesn't work, but combined with your other elements it's a
perfect foundation for an image of this level of sophistication.

David Saffir
GuruShots Photo Critiques - get your own personal photo trainer

David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor
Pages: [1]   Go Up