Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Egypt  (Read 2295 times)

matt4626

Egypt
« on: November 23, 2010, 04:54:02 pm »

I need some help selecting gear for a two week tour of Egypt. I need to travel light and will be taking a Canon 24-105 and a full frame DSLR. Will I kick myself if I don't take something wider?? ???

stever

Re: Egypt
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 10:21:24 am »

probably not, but if you're going to be cruising on the nile, you'll probably kick yourself for not having something longer - i used a 100-400, but 70-200 f4 or 200 f2.8 and a 1.4x would do -- wouldn't mess with a cheap zoom as the results will not do justice to subjects

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 01:31:03 am »

Take back-up, like a G11, which will also give you a way to blend-in if you shoot the locals. Less intimidating in the crowds and and fairly compact to have stashed away.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

billmac

• McClure Photography, LLC
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 04:04:23 pm »

I carried a 5D/24-105 combo plus G11 last year in a Lowe Pro slingbag. There were places and times when I felt comfortable taking out the 5D and others when I wasn't. As in other countries, there are places you can go comfortably and places you shouldn't go without a guide. Tourists are approached constantly by vendors, beggars and others; even the police expect payment if their photos are taken. The tour I was with was accompanied by a plain-clothed, heavily-armed Tourist Police officer who helped immensely.

Anyway, at the Sphinx I was jostled and knocked down some steps, breaking the 24-105. The G11 served well thereafter, except on the Nile. Many really neat scenes that needed just a little more reach, a little more IQ. The new Panasonic GF-2 with the 14-140 might be the better choice if I do it again.

Bill McClure

Tanegashima

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 12:23:31 am »

Yes, it's right.

24mm or even 28mm will do for the wides.

I would carry something like a 70/300, enough  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up