Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ultimate 12 core/Apple prpmotion  (Read 17059 times)

ChristopherBarrett

Re: Ultimate 12 core/Apple prpmotion
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2010, 03:45:01 pm »

Q? For CB
which bracket are you using to place the two SSD in the second optical bay?
thanks
am

This was the setup.  Even though this can fit in One opti-bay, I had to steal the SATA cable from my opti-drive for the 2nd SSD.  I happened to have an external burner already, but slightly inconvenient.

CB

arashm

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2010, 05:06:17 pm »

Thank you for that
Funny I was just thinking of this the other day.
Would be good to capitalize on the empty optical bay.
am

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2010, 05:24:02 pm »

This was the setup.  Even though this can fit in One opti-bay, I had to steal the SATA cable from my opti-drive for the 2nd SSD.  I happened to have an external burner already, but slightly inconvenient.

You can perhaps still find some pre-eSATA drives out there? the Pioneer DVD writer than came with my 3 years old Mac Pro was not eSATA, although the Blue Ray drive I added obviously is. But newer Mac Pro motherboards might not only have eSATA ports?

Another solution would be to add one eSATA extension card with an internal port?

Cheers,
Bernard

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2010, 04:18:26 am »

You can perhaps still find some pre-eSATA drives out there? the Pioneer DVD writer than came with my 3 years old Mac Pro was not eSATA, although the Blue Ray drive I added obviously is. But newer Mac Pro motherboards might not only have eSATA ports?

Another solution would be to add one eSATA extension card with an internal port?

Cheers,
Bernard

Have the new Mac Pros any SATA ports? There is much BS and little info on the Apple site.

I believe that there is a Gigabit Ethernet socket, somewhere, but not on the front or the back.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2010, 07:25:22 am »

I put two OWC SSD's in the optical bay in Raid 0.  That's my OS, App & even Scratch drive for PS (with 48gb Ram it doesn't really touch the scratch).  Then I have 4 Seagate Barracudas in all the HD bays also in Raid 0 for very temporary storage while retouching.  Files all reside permanently on the  Drobo and are backed up to external FW drive.  The files I'm currently working on open and save very quickly and are protected on multiple drives.  The system has been quite speed and rock solid.

Chers,
CB
I think a set-up similar to this, with two RAID 0s and plenty of RAM is the ultimate Mac.

It would be nice to have a self-contained unit for when you use it on site, leaving the big external back-up at base.

What about 2* 2TB drives in RAID 0 for speed and 2* 2TB internal for back-up (one for raws and one for .psd.), and for the ultimate, 2* half GB SSDs in RAID 0?

Something that will handle 10 files ten time quicker than my 4 core 8GB MBP handles one 300MB file would be nice.

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2010, 08:24:31 am »

Yeah... the 4 hard drives I threw in are some 320gb's I had hanging around in my old Raid box.  I'm planning to replace those with larger drives in the near future... I believe Digilloyd has just reviewed Hitachi 3tb units.  On the SSD's, I went with the 200gb drives.  Those in Raid 0 give me plenty of room for OS and Apps and the next larger ones were getting pretty pricey.

Cheers,
CB
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 08:28:52 am by CBarrett »

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2010, 09:44:11 am »

Hi

I have just upgraded the drives on my MacPro from 4 x 500GB running RAID 5 to 4 x 2TB running RAID 0 + 1 - I have an Apple RAID card installed and 16GB of RAM. My machine is a quad core 3.2GHz and I also upgraded to a Nvidia GTX285 (1GB Vram).  This gives me  a very fast system with almost 4GB of storage with a similar level of backup.  The whole system backs up using Superduper to an OWC FW800 RAID5 box with 4 x 1.5TB drives.

I though about upgrading to a new 12 core machine but couldn't see the point given the small benefit weighed against the not insignificant cost.  I will wait for the next generation of Macpro's before buying.

BTW typical TIFF file sizes are 200MB to 1.2 GB/

David
David Watson ARPS

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2010, 10:26:42 am »

What about 2* 2TB drives in RAID 0 for speed and 2* 2TB internal for back-up (one for raws and one for .psd.), and for the ultimate, 2* half GB SSDs in RAID 0?

Here is another thought -- Hitachi just released some 3TB drives that are VERY fast and cost about $250 each from OWC.  My next box might be a pair of SSDs for OS and Apps, then 4 of these spinners in the main bays partitioned thusly using the built-in Mac software RAID:

1) small top partition off all 4 in RAID-0 for scratch, say 64G off each for a total scratch volume of 256G.

2) Larger partition on each, now 2.8TB used in a 2>2 RAID-0/1, so 5.6TB of really fast data storage, mirrored to an identical array, all internal.

Other option is three of these 3TB drives all in RAID-0 partitioned with a small scratch space on the outer rim, then the huge remaining image array all backed up to my existing external, leaving an open SATA port for the Blue-Ray. But no biggie since there are some relatively inexpensive internal PCIe SATA port cards that are bootable.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:30:52 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2010, 11:09:08 am »

Thank you, David Chris and Jack...

You have told me what is optimal... and If I am going to working with 6 or 10 60Mpx files in phocus I would benefit from a top-end system...

A 4 disc RAID would be fast, so perhaps I could do without the SSD initially?

I might buy a basic system from Apple UK and them buy additional bits from OWC.

I do not need a system this month, and the initial inquiry was stimulated by the Apple promotion, but I hope to be fully up and running soon... and doing much multi-file work with my MBP would be frustrating - it is bad enough waiting for it to update after adjustments in phocus on a single file!

c5gowin

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2010, 11:59:53 am »

If you are not in a hurry - and it sounds like you are not - then the new Intel Sandy Bridge processors should start hitting the market early in 2011 (perhaps as soon as CES). It will probably take a while longer for Apple to upgrade the Mac Pro to the new processors, but it's worth keeping an eye on so you can make an informed purchase decision when you are ready to pull the trigger.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2010, 12:14:37 pm »

A 4 disc RAID would be fast, so perhaps I could do without the SSD initially?

A 4x3TB would be very fast with a thin outer rim dedicated to scratch, so yes, that's fine for sure.  But I would at the very least get an SSD for OS and apps, as boot and launch are supremely fast.  And the 200G OWC enterprise is what I would reco since if you decide to RAID them in the future, you'll already have one half of the pair.
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2010, 01:15:46 pm »

I have the same thing however I opted not for the server edition of the SSD. AFAIK, you only need that when you plan on using the SSD's with a RAID card. When using a RAID0 via the OS it is not necessary.

I found my 4drive RAID0 faster than my OWC SSD.

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2010, 01:36:08 pm »

Have the new Mac Pros any SATA ports? There is much BS and little info on the Apple site.

I believe that there is a Gigabit Ethernet socket, somewhere, but not on the front or the back.

Apple has yet to include external SATA on any of their computers, and given the rumors that next year's models are going to have Light Peak connections, they probably never will.

As for ethernet, the image of the back near the bottom of this page clearly shows a pair of ethernet ports.
href="http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro?mco=MTg5MTY5NDQ
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2010, 05:30:53 pm »

Apple has yet to
As for ethernet, the image of the back near the bottom of this page clearly shows a pair of ethernet ports.
href="http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro?mco=MTg5MTY5NDQ
I had looked at that web page, and observed that there are two firewire 800 ports at the bottom on the front, and 2 analog audio ports at the bottom at he back and the words "Gigabit Ethernet" not indicating any ports... which could imply that Gigabit Ethernet is wireless only, or that there are Gigabit wireless ports, but not on the front of back of the machine.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2010, 06:37:13 pm »

I had looked at that web page, and observed that there are two firewire 800 ports at the bottom on the front, and 2 analog audio ports at the bottom at he back and the words "Gigabit Ethernet" not indicating any ports... which could imply that Gigabit Ethernet is wireless only, or that there are Gigabit wireless ports, but not on the front of back of the machine.

Dick,

The specs are clear: http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html

They quote "Two independent 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet (RJ-45) interfaces with support for jumbo frames".

Unless they have improved somehow with more recent generations of the box, I would not trust a mission critical connectivity to wifi on the mac pro, the antenna doesn't seem to be well located on my 3 years old Mac Pro.

Regards,
Bernard

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2010, 11:44:58 pm »

It's true that the text doesn't line up well with the image, but there are no square analog audio ports. The lowest ports in the image of the back are ethernet ports.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2010, 03:17:35 pm »

Dick,

The specs are clear: http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html

They quote "Two independent 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet (RJ-45) interfaces with support for jumbo frames".

Unless they have improved somehow with more recent generations of the box, I would not trust a mission critical connectivity to wifi on the mac pro, the antenna doesn't seem to be well located on my 3 years old Mac Pro.

Regards,
Bernard

The other spec sheet I saw was not so clear (but it did show the front and rear connections),,, but this lists "connections and audio" without mentioning the Ethernet, which is under "communications" or monitor outputs, which are under "graphics and displays" or SATA (internal) which is under "storage"... do you have to plug in an expansion card to use an external SATA drive?

jduncan

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2010, 04:05:58 pm »

Maybe this comment could be of some help. There is no "wireless Gigabit Ethernet" as such. You can buy proprietary extenders (to connect different ethernet segments) that will reach gigabit speeds. But is a different technology. What the mac pro has is 802.11n Wi-Fi.
This is the same kind of wireless connection you will find in a laptop or an iPhone or Android. Normality it will reach about  54 Mbit/s.

The ethernet ports (for RJ45) look like a bigger phone wall connectors. There are two of them on the mac pro. Both at the bottom back. This is stated on the apple page but the illustration is not that good. Maybe this illustration is better (it is older):

http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/mac-pro-connections-9-26.gif

Please note that the new mac pros don't have a firewire 400 connector. They have two firewire 800s, but they are in the same places.
I hope this helps.  :).

There is also the issue of the slots, there are not all equal. If you have any doubt don't be afraid to ask. We are here to help each other.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:12:41 pm by jduncan »
english is not my first language, an I k

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2010, 04:26:05 pm »

The other spec sheet I saw was not so clear (but it did show the front and rear connections),,,

http://store.apple.com/uk-business/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro

Here the Ethernet ports on the back are labeled "analog audio in/out", as the text is not lined up with the connectors in the illustration that they refer to - perhaps they (Apple UK) do not employ anyone computer literate?

I have only been working with PCs for about 25 years, and I am only an electronic engineer who was Programmer and Service Manager for a computer company for about two years - what hope have I got of understanding the MAC spec?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:35:56 pm by Dick Roadnight »

jduncan

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2010, 05:09:57 pm »

http://store.apple.com/uk-business/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro

Here the Ethernet ports on the back are labeled "analog audio in/out", as the text is not lined up with the connectors in the illustration that they refer to - perhaps they (Apple UK) do not employ anyone computer literate?

I have only been working with PCs for about 25 years, and I am only an electronic engineer who was Programmer and Service Manager for a computer company for about two years - what hope have I got of understanding the MAC spec?

Three points:
  • Are you aware that you sound like angry? This could be just me and my Latin-American sensibilities /under-printings (a cultural issue)
  • I believe that you already have the answer you were searching for. I am right? Do you need help with any other thing?
  • To say the true, I am mesmerized that you, as an electronic engineer, missed the ethernet ports. But some times I am searching for my glasses and I am wearing them  ;)

english is not my first language, an I k
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up