Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wacom tablet  (Read 2555 times)

stamper

Wacom tablet
« on: November 23, 2010, 05:27:49 am »

I have the Bamboo version of the tablet which I like and find useful. However I see much more expensive versions and wonder how much better they really are. I have been looking at the Ituos4 model - within my pocket money reach - and would there be an advantage in an "upgrade". TIA

allan67

• http://
Re: Wacom tablet
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 08:02:58 am »

I have Intuitos4 XL tablet and love it.
My previous graphics tablet was a Trust, and compared to Intuitos it felt like something from a previous century.

Can't say if upgrade from a Bamboo will be as satisfying as it was for me to dump Trust tablet.
You'll get 8 ExpressKeys and a TouchRing - all programmable to whichever function you like.

TouchRing is very useful - you can set it up to control 4 different aspects of your tool, like size, hardness, opacity, etc.
Works extremely well and helps a lot in masking, dodging/burning ...

Allan

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 11:35:39 am »

I've had several Wacom tablets over the years.  I'd say they all work pretty much the same. Larger tablets don't really add that much value to the equation either. Pressure sensitivity is nice - I'm pretty sure the Bamboo has it.  Save your money for more hard drives. : )

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 12:13:59 pm »

I have a large Intuos 3 at work, and bought the Bamboo on sale for use at home. The feel of the pen on the Bamboo unit is totally different -- much worse, mushy and not at all precise. In addition, the Bamboo tablet is much smaller and thus doesn't have room to rest my wrist and have it even with the drawing surface.

So I just carry the Intuos 3 back and forth when I need a tablet at home.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

na goodman

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 03:25:38 pm »

I have the Bamboo version of the tablet which I like and find useful. However I see much more expensive versions and wonder how much better they really are. I have been looking at the Ituos4 model - within my pocket money reach - and would there be an advantage in an "upgrade". TIA
You will find at least twice as many levels of sensitivity with an intuos tablet.

AFairley

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 05:31:38 pm »

I have the Bamboo but I can't see the point in opting for more levels of sensitivity for photo post processing unless you are really painting masks where you want to be able to control opacity or feathering on the fly, and I'm not.

stamper

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 04:03:39 am »

Thanks for the replies. I think the last one has saved me about £160. I don't find that I use the pen sensitivity a lot and I thought ease of use would be better but from what I have read it isn't much better. :)

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 08:53:50 am »

I have Intuitos4 XL tablet and love it.
My previous graphics tablet was a Trust, and compared to Intuitos it felt like something from a previous century.

Can't say if upgrade from a Bamboo will be as satisfying as it was for me to dump Trust tablet.
You'll get 8 ExpressKeys and a TouchRing - all programmable to whichever function you like.

TouchRing is very useful - you can set it up to control 4 different aspects of your tool, like size, hardness, opacity, etc.
Works extremely well and helps a lot in masking, dodging/burning ...

Allan

I currently own Genius tablet, but considering the purchase of a "Bamboo Pen"; will lose some surface size (does it matter?) and still not sure whether the upgrade is worth the money. How was your experience? TIA.

allan67

• http://
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 07:24:38 am »

I currently own Genius tablet, but considering the purchase of a "Bamboo Pen"; will lose some surface size (does it matter?) and still not sure whether the upgrade is worth the money. How was your experience? TIA.

The tablet feels very comfortable. Stylus feel on the surface is very smooth. The response from movements in all directions (pressure, tilt, move) is very good. The tablet is easly configurable for any application and you can customise its keys and dial to any function.
I can't compare it to Genius, as I've never used their products, but in comparison to Trust, Intuitos is several leagues ahead.

As for size - that depends how you use it.
I prefer to have nearly 1:1 mapping between image on screen to the tablet surface. The XL size (about A3) gives me this for my 21inch monitor.
With bigger surface you have more precise control over what you are doing - like longer sliders in Lightroom when you extend the control panel in Dev module. You can do everything on a A6 postcard, but that will take more effort.

Allan
Pages: [1]   Go Up