Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Searching for a flash for my Canon 5D Mark II  (Read 8716 times)

jools230575

• Julian Elliott Photography
Searching for a flash for my Canon 5D Mark II
« on: November 23, 2010, 03:04:00 am »

Morning all

I'm looking to buy a flash unit for my Canon 5D Mark II. My budget is from £100 to £150 so I can't pop for the 580EX Mark II.

Basically, I am looking to be doing portrait shots plus weddings with it so need as much as I can get from it but with a small budget.

My lenses are: 17-40; 28-70 and 70-200.

I'd be really grateful for some advice as I haven't a clue where to start with this.

NigelC

Re: Searching for a flash for my Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 08:08:58 am »

I don't currently do any significant portrait work so when I needed flash to do about 300 single group portraits as my material cost only contribution for a children's ball, I was reluctant to spend very much. I ended up getting a Sigma 530 Super with a Lumedine Pocket Bounce, which worked pretty well with my (then) 5D. I think it cost about £200 for the flash and £20 for the Pocket Bounce. I say fairly well - although I was happy with the results for that sort of mass production, the communication between flash and body was a bit haphazard. I understand that Canon 580 is a bit slicker in operation but its too much of a hassle from where I live to go and hire one.

If I may say (politely), if you've spent that much on camera and lenses and you are seriously doing weddings and portraits on a regular basis, I think if it were me I would regard investment in lighting would be at least as important as camera/lenses and I would with your kit have at least a couple of 580s with an effective bounce/diffuser arangement on the on-camera flash and have the other as a back up or use as fill when circumstances allow.   

jools230575

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 08:13:09 am »

I hear what you are saying. However, I have gone from living in the UK and having a job to living in France to be with my new wife and no job.

Right now, money is an issue and I just want something to get me going.

NigelC

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 08:13:55 am »

I don't currently do any significant portrait work so when I needed flash to do about 300 single group portraits as my material cost only contribution for a children's ball, I was reluctant to spend very much. I ended up getting a Sigma 530 Super with a Lumedine Pocket Bounce, which worked pretty well with my (then) 5D. I think it cost about £200 for the flash and £20 for the Pocket Bounce. I say fairly well - although I was happy with the results for that sort of mass production, the communication between flash and body was a bit haphazard. I understand that Canon 580 is a bit slicker in operation but its too much of a hassle from where I live to go and hire one.

If I may say (politely), if you've spent that much on camera and lenses and you are seriously doing weddings and portraits on a regular basis, I think if it were me I would regard investment in lighting would be at least as important as camera/lenses and I would with your kit have at least a couple of 580s with an effective bounce/diffuser arangement on the on-camera flash and have the other as a back up or use as fill when circumstances allow.   

I would add to that if you are doing studio portraits, in my opinion a couple of even budget studio lights are much more controllable than top of the range speedlights. Have a look at the Elinchrom  Dlite 2 or 4 kits.

NigelC

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 08:17:40 am »

I think then you've got a choice between a used 580 or a Sigma/Nissin/Metz with a similar output. Whatever you do, make sure you have a diffuser/softener - from my experience a pocket bounce type attachment is much better than a clip-on diffuser - thats really just for photojournalists

jools230575

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 12:46:42 pm »

Thanks but I'd still like some recommenations from people. I read a little this morning and sometimes the third party options aren't always in synch with the Canon body.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 02:34:24 pm »

Thanks but I'd still like some recommenations from people. I read a little this morning and sometimes the third party options aren't always in synch with the Canon body.

Maybe read some more and come to your own conclusion then.

nma

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 02:50:00 pm »

Hello,

You could take a look at the Yongnuo 468 flash, which operates in several modes, including e-ttl. It is available from eBay store “hkyongnuophotoequipment” that normally offers free shipping plus a 1 year warranty. Compare the terms for other eBay offers. The 468 costs about ~$ 95. Read this review http://speedlights.net/2010/10/10/yongnuo-yn-468-features/

I have had mine,working on a 5D mark ii, for a couple of weeks. I bought it along with the YN 602 transmitter and receiver kit, all for $156. The build quality is good, but not as good as Canon speedlite 480ex. My goal was to get a starter kit for off-camera flash. So far it has performed without any problem, though I saw a wide range of opinion when I was doing my research, ranging from a POS to a fantastic bargain. Though I have had no problem, some have reported QC problems. It is hard to know how seriously to take those reports, as problems are reported more frequently than pleasure.

Also, please note that it works in e-ttl with the Canon 5d mark ii, contrary to some reports.

Hope this helps

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:51:51 pm by nma »

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 03:13:43 pm »

Get the Canon 430 EX II if you can swing it. It's a fine flash, much more compact than the 580 EX II, but still has enough power for most shooting. You won't have any issues with compatibility with your 5D, either.

I'd get the Sto-Fen Omni Bounce attachment, too. These flash units are often around $250 new, probably a used one is within your budget.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

jools230575

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 03:33:58 pm »

Maybe read some more and come to your own conclusion then.

Thanks for that. It's always nice to have a considered opinion.

jools230575

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 03:34:38 pm »

Thanks K Bennett. I will have a look to see what I find.

JohnTodd

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 04:27:44 pm »

Jools,

I'd second the 430ex for another simple reason: you *will* buy a 580 eventually, if you stick with Canon, and when you do, you can use the 430 as a slave using Canon's IR system. That's exactly what happened to me :-)

NigelC

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 06:24:31 pm »

Get the Canon 430 EX II if you can swing it. It's a fine flash, much more compact than the 580 EX II, but still has enough power for most shooting. You won't have any issues with compatibility with your 5D, either.

I'd get the Sto-Fen Omni Bounce attachment, too. These flash units are often around $250 new, probably a used one is within your budget.

From my experience, would not recommend Stofen if for portraits - a bounce flash attachment such as Lumedine gives much better effect.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 06:28:05 pm »

From my experience, would not recommend Stofen if for portraits - a bounce flash attachment such as Lumedine gives much better effect.

I was thinking of it for wedding/event work -- it's all I use for that sort of thing. For portraits, you are correct. But then I would have the flash off camera in that case anyway.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

rsn48

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 07:35:14 pm »

Look for a Canon 550 EX used, its almost the same as the 580 and you should be able to pick one up at your high end suggested budget.  I purchase used all the time and I don't take ownership unless the lens, camera, strobe, looks prestine.  Vivitar has a budget but quality flash that followed its tank of a workhorse film flash, but modified for digital, can't remember the model number.  But like I said, consider used.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 10:15:38 pm »

I was thinking of it for wedding/event work -- it's all I use for that sort of thing. For portraits, you are correct. But then I would have the flash off camera in that case anyway.

The only caveat with the Canon flashes, and probably cheaper aftermarket units, is they are not engineered for heavy lifting. When used in motor drive mode, the circuits heat up and if fired often enough in rapid succession, the thermo switch will start shutting it off. It's not unusual for continued use to kill the flash. I have a couple event guys who's flashes come in on a regular basis for board replacements. While I haven't seen it myself, other techs have had units come in with xenon tubes that literally exploded. So make sure you have a backup at all times. This goes for the Nikon flashes as well.

If planning on doing commercial work of this type, one of the Quatum units, or the like, would be a better bet. Doesn't take many dead 580s to equal the cost.

Insofar as Vivitar is concerned, a Chinese outfit bought the name and have been marketing a re-release of the 283 and 285. Both of these are non dedicated and not TTL compatible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up