Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A morning in the Dolomites  (Read 6931 times)

Riaan van Wyk

Re: A morning in the Dolomites
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 12:28:10 pm »

Absolutely stunning work!  I really like your eye for composition.

+ 100000!

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 03:32:19 pm »

Thanks to all who replied and thanks very much for the comments.

The camera is a Canon 1Ds mkIII and the lenses used were mostly Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS and Canon 24-70 f/2.8L. The total weight og my camera bag and the tripod was around 13-14 kg. Except the Passo Padon hike which took a little over 30 minutes going up about 350 meters altitude to about 2400 meters from the parking at Passo Fedaia, most of the shooting was driving pretty close to the locations, so weight was not really a problem. I did offload some of the lenses going up to Passo Padon as I knew I would not use my Canon TS-E lenses (17mm and 24mm), but I kept my Samyang 14mm f/2.8 just for the fun of it although no useful pictures came out from there.
Thank you ... I will be trying to get a bag of MF kit down to that sort of weight!
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

BFoto

• Brad's blog
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 10:05:25 pm »

1st and the last - beautiful.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2010, 10:59:39 pm »

i cant add much other than to say really good work!

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 01:40:28 am »

Thank you ... I will be trying to get a bag of MF kit down to that sort of weight!

On my last workshop in the Abruzzo in Italy one of the participants has a Pentax 645D and 3 or 4 lenses and I think his bag was less than mine. He had also his Canon 5D mkII "pocket camera" with him and a couple of lenses so in the end I think his weight was more than mine, but the 645D and lenses were not that heavy. None were zoom lenses.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 01:43:59 am »

Thanks again everyone for the responses. I'm leaving for Tuscany this morning for a week of shooting thre late autumn greenery so I may be quiet for a little while.

Here is what I'm going to shoot again:

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 05:48:00 am »

On my last workshop in the Abruzzo in Italy one of the participants has a Pentax 645D and 3 or 4 lenses and I think his bag was less than mine. He had also his Canon 5D mkII "pocket camera" with him and a couple of lenses so in the end I think his weight was more than mine, but the 645D and lenses were not that heavy. None were zoom lenses.
View camera lenses are light - but I need a light view camera that takes P3 lensboards.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

popnfresh

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 11:12:32 am »

This is a really impressive set of landscapes. The first, second and fourth shots are remarkable, but the last one just knocked my socks off. Congratulations!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 01:54:24 pm »

Thanks again everyone for the responses. I'm leaving for Tuscany this morning for a week of shooting thre late autumn greenery so I may be quiet for a little while.

Here is what I'm going to shoot again:

The Dolomites shots are terrific.
I look forward to your Tuscany images. My one visit there a few years ago seemed to have great scenes everywhere you looked.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2010, 05:41:47 pm »

OK, I admit it - you've blown my mind. What a body of work!

Each one of these has strengths and weaknesses - having said that, they're all compelling landscape images.

Choosing a couple that evoke particular response from me: the second image, with the light just coming into the valley, and the brooding clouds
in the background, tells a great story and practically glows with light. Particularly on the lower right, the interplay of diagonals, light, and shadow,
give the image some real sophistication and complexity. The shapes in that area seem to point toward the top of the frame into the towering mountains and
clouds. The only thing I might add for you to consider is increasing the luminance of the mountains/clouds just a little bit - and only to provide a little more
balance to the overall image. They are so dark that it feels that they are almost part of another world...

The last in this series also quite striking. Muted colors, complementary shapes, the softness of the fog and the detail in the peaks all work well together. A touch more brightness
in the house, and bit more contrast overall might be worth a try.

very well done.

David Saffir

GuruShots Photo Critiques - get your own personal photo trainer
David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 02:37:36 am »

Another winner, IMHO.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2010, 06:25:54 am »

OK, I admit it - you've blown my mind. What a body of work!

Each one of these has strengths and weaknesses - having said that, they're all compelling landscape images.

Choosing a couple that evoke particular response from me: the second image, with the light just coming into the valley, and the brooding clouds
in the background, tells a great story and practically glows with light. Particularly on the lower right, the interplay of diagonals, light, and shadow,
give the image some real sophistication and complexity. The shapes in that area seem to point toward the top of the frame into the towering mountains and
clouds. The only thing I might add for you to consider is increasing the luminance of the mountains/clouds just a little bit - and only to provide a little more
balance to the overall image. They are so dark that it feels that they are almost part of another world...

The last in this series also quite striking. Muted colors, complementary shapes, the softness of the fog and the detail in the peaks all work well together. A touch more brightness
in the house, and bit more contrast overall might be worth a try.

very well done.

David Saffir

GuruShots Photo Critiques - get your own personal photo trainer

Thanks David,

Regarding the overall balance of the second shot I agree that certain parts are a bit dark and especially in this small size. When I see the image on my 30" display it's entirely different. It's not the first time I have seen this and it's almost as you have to reedit an image when you present it in a small size. The light is chosen to represent the mood at the first rays of sun peeking over the mountains.

But thanks very much for your considerate critique.

Best regards,
Hans
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up