Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 printer won't grab paper  (Read 5222 times)

mvandenbos

• www.mehdivandenbos.com
Z3100 printer won't grab paper
« on: November 20, 2010, 11:11:06 am »

Hi guys

I have a Z3100 24inch printer. Love it and generally happy. Just setting it up again after moving house (off for a couple of hours only). Basically the printer won't grab any new paper when I feed in a roll.

There's no error message or anything. Really not sure how to problem solve this one and would appreciate some help!

Kind regards

Mehdi

--
www.mehdivandenbos.com
Mehdi van den Bos
www.mehdivandenbos.com

mvandenbos

• www.mehdivandenbos.com
Re: Z3100 printer won't grab paper
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 11:38:01 am »

In fact in won't even sense the roll paper in the first place.
Mehdi van den Bos
www.mehdivandenbos.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 03:27:12 pm »

In fact in won't even sense the roll paper in the first place.

There is a small mechanical switch that acts as a sensor in the insert slit for paper feeding. The paper edge will push it forward and by that activate the printer. It also records the end of a sheet or roll by flipping backwards. Could be that it is stuck in its forward or backward position because it is filthy. paper lint etc. If you take out the panel right behind the spindle you can access that switch and clean it. Be aware that there is a thin cable + connector to that switch at the left side underneath that panel that should be disconnected before the panel is removed. If it shows a bad connection already then that is most likely the cause of your problem.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

mvandenbos

• www.mehdivandenbos.com
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 03:46:05 pm »

Hello Ernst

Many thanks for your kind reply. Apologies for my delayed response. I finally found a loose connector that allowed the paper to being to load (I think it came loose in an unfortunate bump during a short move). I also check the left hand paper catch ... it stays up but is freely mobile.

However I now have the problem that the roll paper cannot be drawn forward sufficiently - it is a standard HP Pro Photo satin roll about halfway through. After briefly drawing the paper forward there is none of the usual motion and thrust of the paper more greatly forward. It has the initial catch and then no further motion. It tells me to raise the lever, roll back the paper and then check the spools hubs which are fine.

Not sure what I should do next?

Many kind regards

Mehdi
Mehdi van den Bos
www.mehdivandenbos.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 03:13:07 am »

Never experienced an issue like that. Is there any sign of too much friction when that roll is loaded. I mean when that error stands did you turn the roll manually in the print direction and you observe friction? Is that friction less without the paper loaded? There is a service manual (link) on the Z3100 Wiki site.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 07:51:53 pm »

I seem to have the same problem as you Mehdi (the 1st one), also a 24" Z3100.  I've not printed for several weeks and I initially saw a print head reseat error today.  I reseated the print head (and cleaned it) and the printer did not see that it had paper loaded after sorting out the print head.  I unloaded the paper and now it won't grab the roll offered.

I removed the rear panel and checked that the flipper is free.  It is and I remade the connection at the end of the wire but no difference.

I sent you a PM Mehdi.  Which connector resolved that 1st problem?

One other thing is that the heat packed up in my house while I was away a few weeks go and it got down to 39F before I got home.  No damage anywhere but I initially thought the low humidity might have dried out the print head and caused that error.  I can't see why it would have caused the rollers or sensor to quit though.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 03:43:06 am »

One other thing is that the heat packed up in my house while I was away a few weeks go and it got down to 39F before I got home.  No damage anywhere but I initially thought the low humidity might have dried out the print head and caused that error.  I can't see why it would have caused the rollers or sensor to quit though.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

Was the printer on power during your absence?

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 05:31:00 am »

Yes it was, I leave it powered up so that it can keep self cleaning (I've never had a clog).  I lost heat but not power to house.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 06:28:07 am »

Thanks for the Yahoo link Ernst.  I posted a question there.  I didn't find anything with a search.
I also downloaded the service manual from the link in the Wiki and it doesn't mention any troubleshooting for paper load issues, onlu alignment (which requires paper preloaded).

mvandenbos

• www.mehdivandenbos.com
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 03:55:54 am »

my problem turned out an unusual solution

Part 1. Of the connectors was loose on the left hand side of the Z3100 - this reactivated the spectrometer. But unusually the paper still wouldn't be drawn in once the roll was initially put in place. It kept on coming up with errors suggesting the paper hadn't been drawn to the blue line - but no effort by the printer had been made to achieve this.

Part 2. The second work around I came upon accidentally but by loading the roll quite laterally within (either side works) the feeder I somehow bypassed this internal error - however the loading process then necessarily involves the manual/lever skew correction routine - a bit of a pain.

It works - but I am forced not to change paper too often as a consequence.

Makes little sense to me - a bump in transit I suspect explains this odd behaviour - but at least I can print again and the quality seems like normal.
Mehdi van den Bos
www.mehdivandenbos.com

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 06:43:52 am »

Thanks for your response Mehdi, I'm getting no errors at all.  The printer just says it's ready for paper but does nothing when offered.  I tried loading the paper by lifting the clamp lever and feeding it all the way in, but it then says to close the lever, and when I do it just won't do anything (I think that's it, I'll have to check).  I'll be back home tomorrow morning and will be able to try some other tests.  Someone on Yahoo suggested trying a different paper.  I'll try some sheet paper instead of roll but given the test I did with a folded over piece of paper I doubt there will be a change.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 10:23:10 am »

I finally had a chance to do some more in depth diagnostic work.  So far as I can tell the paper sensor flipper switch is dead (it's called an out of paper switch in the manual, OOPS).  I removed it and don't get any response when I ohm out the connections while flipping it down.  I've ordered a new one from Partsphere.  I wanted to be sure that the roller mechanism was OK, there's a motor and a driver board that could have been bad, so I found a check in the diagnostic menu that it went through OK.  I could see and hear the rollers running back and forth during the tests.  I had hoped that I could short out the OOPS wires on the printer to fool it into thinking it has paper but the connector is impossible to get to unless the printer is jacked up.

If this doesn't work I'll either be in the market for a new 24" printer or will wait, maybe until next year, for new models to come out.  In the mean time I've been putting my 4880 Epson to use which is good for it as it sits largely idle otherwise..

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 07:56:36 pm »

Switch arrived on Monday and I installed it today... all is OK, calibration OK (I was a bit worried that with several weeks of no printing, even though it was running and doing self cleans I might get some blocked jets).....whew missed at $2k new purchase   :)

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 06:56:15 pm »

Mike,

I noticed you ordered your replacement paper sensor from Partsphere. When I Google the name, I get nothing. Is this a US parts company?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 07:05:23 pm »

Jim,

I'm sorry that was a typo, no "P"

http://partshere.com/

Jim Cole