Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunset Select Matte Canvas - alternatives / smoother alternatives  (Read 5690 times)

Roscolo

Love the Sunset Select Matte Canvas, but Lexjet has a hard time keeping the 44" in stock. So, just throwing this up to see if something has appeared in the marketplace that I'm unaware of, basically an alternative that is similarly smooth or smoother.

Thanks

John Nollendorfs

Re: Sunset Select Matte Canvas - alternatives / smoother alternatives
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 09:02:19 pm »

Try calling IJ technologies, and asking Keith about their Premium water resistant canvas. They have brightened, and unbrightened versions--I use the unbrightened, because the OBA's will fade within a month of south window exposure.

http://ijtechnologies.com/

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 12:07:10 am »

I have had a miserable time in my current art fair season due to the recent supply and QC problems with the usually excellent Lexjet SSMC.  This has gone on way too long, IMHO.

Tried Breathing Color BC800M.  Very nice QC, tonality very similar to SSMC but perhaps not as nice in the really dark gradations.  But with excessive texture that may be OK for portraits but is totally unacceptable for landscapes or any sharp image.  Very unsharp prints.  The texture is so extreme that with any type or thickness of coating the image hazes significantly when viewed with light from your back.  And the really high OBA levels create a kind of day-glow effect under fluorescent lights or daylight, and wild metamerism under different types of lighting.  Except for the pretty-good QC, a not very lovable canvas.  In a recent art fair under very bright fluorescent lighting I got many comments about how the images seem to be backlighted!  I just tell people I'm the Master of Light.

The smoothest canvas I have used recently is Fredrix 777 Vivid.  Very fine texture, the sharpest printing canvas I have ever used, as sharp as slightly textured matte papers.  This would be my favorite canvas except as of the time I stopped using it Fredrix was winding the rolls rather haphazardly in a way that caused awful head strikes at the puckered edges.  Which of course creates megaclogs.  But when Fredrix figures out how to supply neatly trimmed rolls, I'm all theirs.  Some OBA's, but not enough to create serious metamerism issues.

But honestly, in my old age I am only asking for a decent canvas with absolutely consistent Quality Control, consistently smooth Texture, and high Availability.  Please, somebody, help me.

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 12:47:47 pm »

Bill,
    Have you tried the Black Diamond canvases?  If so I am wondering about your opinion.    http://tiny.cc/sl9df
CMurph

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 10:10:22 pm »

I've used IJ's black diamond. Good enough canvas, good gamut, but pretty stiff. also found it didn't seem to give a uniform gloss when sprayed with vinyl acrylic sprays.

Much prefer IJ's Premium water resistant canvas coated with vinyl acrylic for a medium gloss finish .

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 10:00:32 am »

IJ Premium WRC is a matte surface canvas correct?  What coating are you using?     I just started trying this to spray on canvas..   http://tiny.cc/f8t3j    $7 a qt.  Am I crazy?  Sure looks a whole lot like Glamour II in the can.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:04:54 am by Craig Murphy »
CMurph

na goodman

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 10:22:59 am »

A few years ago when I was testing finishes for canvases I did try acrylic finishes that were not advertised just for canvas. l found them all to  exhibit small cracks throughout the print after a period of time. It may initially look like finishes specifically made for canvas but they did eventually all exhibit the cracking. I have never had the cracking problem with Glamour or other finishes made specifically for canvas.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 04:29:09 pm »

Craig:
Don't know if the Valspar is a vinyl acrylic, but I've been using Rosco Clear Glaze for about 8 months with good results. (it's a milky fluid drys clear in minutes) Available through most theatrical supply shops for $39 a gallon. I dilute it 1 to 1 with water and spray with a cheap Wagner HVLP.  I did a south window test for 4 months in Nebraska sunshine. Saw no problems, other than the OBA's in the brightened IJ canvas faded in about a month. Have had no sign of cracking or any change of pigment colors due to fading or interaction.

na goodman

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 10:04:24 am »

I also use the Lexjet Matte Canvas and do understand what you are going through because I also have experienced quality issues that I must say my sales rep from Lexjet was quick to rectify. In fact, I think that the inventory shortage right now of the 44" canvas is in part due to the fact that they have pulled defective canvas in order to assure no one else is going to have a bad experience. Yes, it has gone on for quite awhile and I'm hoping that this new batch will be the end of the situation. I really don't want to switch canvas at this point because I have the shrinkage down to 1/16" of an inch, my profiles are great and client's are happy. The thought of switching now is really not what I want to do. That being said, I did have to do 3 black and white prints yesterday and the dreaded lines thru the canvas showed up but I really didn't realize it until I was spraying. Even then, I kept thinking is that a shadow - not! So after not sleeping most the night thinking what to do I decided to try an old trick from when I was making handboud books and sometimes would get papers that were defective. I took an iron to the back of the canvas and pressed it - this was after spraying so the front would not get damaged. I pressed on a large cutting mat so the finish did not stick and the all of the lines that were so nicely spaced at 11" intervals came out. So now, I'm letting it sit for a bit to make sure they don't return but by the time I stretch later today I think everything will be fine. So, should I have to go thru this - no, but I'm glad I could selvage the prints and am passing this on in case anyone else runs into this situation. I'm going to stick with Lexjet and this canvas for now and hope that the "new" canvas will resolve all problems. My sales rep at Lexjet really has been great to work with and I believe her when they say they really are working to resolve the QC issues once and for all.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 12:37:25 pm »

Funny how different people focus on different things.  I have seen the subtle "lines" on all my 36" SSMC rolls, but they didn't bother me and I haven't received any customer comments.  I wrote them off as a kind of canvasy thing.

I the case of the occasional weave errors, I press them down after coating and mounting with edge of a slightly modified flat-tip screwdriver.  A lot of work but it saves the day.  I was so thrilled to have at least a few rolls without patches of brown-rubbery-head -clogging-crud halfway in that I let those things go!

I wonder what happened.  Factory burned down?  Couldn't have happened at a worse time for me.  Gawd I hope this gets straightened out before spring!

Canvas is a harsh mistress.  Oh yeah.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 12:48:32 pm by bill t. »

na goodman

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 12:55:59 pm »

These lines are not subtle. About an inch wide and when doing black and white they definitely  show up. I am just happy I could selvage the prints.

Roscolo

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 04:04:31 pm »

I've seen the lines, too. Definitely could see that being a problem on B&W. I try to just unroll the canvas before I do a big print to make sure no lines come up if I'm printing a large B&W. Hasn't been much of an issue on repro of color paintings. Usually gets lost in the mix.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 10:11:40 am »

Two questions.

1.  are the lines many have referred to the pressure lines that occur in about the last 10 to 8 feet of canvas?  These lines are about 1" wide
and are the only lines I have ever noticed.  Since they are from the pressure of the roll on where the canvas is attached, I have always assumed
that there is no way around them.  When mounting to gator they are not a problem for me either B&W or color, on a stretch, it seems like it's
print dependent. 

2.  Bill T, you mentioned the BC Econo 800 you have tried BC either Lyve or Chromata White.  Neither are supposed to have OB's from what I understand.
Weave on Chromata white IMO is very tight.  Considerably more expensive than the Econo 800 however.

Sincerely
Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

na goodman

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 10:17:27 am »

I know the lines pressure lines you are talking about. Yes, these are similar to that but are throughout. I had a crap roll of canvas with about 5ft. left on it with pressure lines. I took the iron to it and they are gone. I really think Lexjet will have the coating problem resolved with their new batch of canvas. I personally have not found anything I like better, especially for the price. I just need consistent, available, reliable canvas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up