Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for starting out  (Read 1462 times)

E. Robbins

Advice for starting out
« on: November 06, 2002, 06:01:20 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']This just a note from an (advanced?) amateur who may soon be beggining to branch out into selling or attempting to sell her work. I must admit I don't do much landscape work, more portraiture, 'journalism'- travel sor t of photography, and have an interest in digital imaging...

I'm in Russia now, studying, but when I get back to the states I'll be investing in a digital darkroom. Well - a computer and printer anyway. Right now I have only a (gasp!) Rebel 2000 and a couple of lenses. I usually shoot Fuji Reala, Sensia or Velvia.

My question, what do I need, practically speaking, to sell my work? I'm thinking a good solid system - 512 RAM + at least 1.6 mhz processor, plus perhaps the Epson 2200. Of course, the poor student side of my brain says "Elaine, do you REALLY need a $700 printer?" What do you think?

Eventually, given the type of stuff I do, I think I'll go digital. This 1Ds sounds great. As a student though, of course, its far, far beyond reach. The D60 despite its faults sounds like a great tool with which to begin commercial work on a part-time (supplementing income, not providing it!) basis. Even so - its a huge investment. What do you all reccommend? (And BTW - if any of you are sick of your D60s after upgrading to the 1Ds  and want to help out a youngun' by passing along their D60 at a discounted price - do let me know

Finally, what have you found to be the best way to market? For artistic type images - how does one actually GET a gallery to accept your work if you have no background commercially? Do displays in coffee shops and such bring in income?

Thanks a lot! Reply here - or email me.

Elaine Robbins
[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up