Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toronto -- Dundas Square yesterday  (Read 2380 times)

GEOFFREYJAMES

Toronto -- Dundas Square yesterday
« on: November 19, 2010, 11:40:28 am »

Leica M9, 28 Elmarit, version 4

popnfresh

Re: Toronto -- Dundas Square yesterday
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 12:02:58 pm »

What were you going for when you snapped this?

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 01:32:40 pm »

What were you going for when you snapped this?
Groceries?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

GEOFFREYJAMES

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 01:37:36 pm »

It's part of an ongoing photo essay I am doing on the space,  which was built in the centre of Toronto about 5 years ago.  At the time there was tremendous opposition to it -- no trees,  a kind of mini Times Square.  It is better used now -- a lot of free concerts and all kinds of events,  though I still find it strangely cold and uninviting. I tend to work on a theme for a long time, which frees me from the anxiety of nonfocused shooting. In a sense my intentions are irrelevent -- only what  is in the picture counts.  Here are a couple more images.  Don't know if that helps. 

GEOFFREYJAMES

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 01:40:12 pm »

Dick,  You can see one guy with his groceries in the second post. +Cheers,  Geoffrey James

GEOFFREYJAMES

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 01:41:53 pm »

More groceries !

EdWalker

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 03:07:23 pm »

Its been 20 years (hard to believe), since I was in that part of Toronto.  I lived up North in Richmond Hill from 1978 to 1990.  We used to go to the Okeefe Center at Yonge and Front St, and when the Pantages was remodeled and opened in 1989, we had purchased tickets for Phantom of the Opera almost a year earlier.

I was in Toronto for a temporary business assignment, and, sadly had to go home.  It is one of the Worlds great cities.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 07:48:24 pm »

Goeff, For what it's worth here's my take: #1, no. #2, better, mainly because of the guy walking by with a bag of something we can't identify and dressed wholly out of context with the rest of the people in the shot. #3, ho hum. #4, now we're getting somewhere. The woman against the post is mysterious in a strange way, maybe because of the way she's dressed. It reminds me of one of my favorites from back in the sixties, which I've attached. I downloaded #4 and did a B&W conversion. You might like to try that. It's instructive.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:33:28 am by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 04:25:41 am »

Its been 20 years (hard to believe), since I was in that part of Toronto.  I lived up North in Richmond Hill from 1978 to 1990.  We used to go to the Okeefe Center at Yonge and Front St, and when the Pantages was remodeled and opened in 1989, we had purchased tickets for Phantom of the Opera almost a year earlier.

I was in Toronto for a temporary business assignment, and, sadly had to go home.  It is one of the Worlds great cities.

Well I certainly used to watch Fashion TV that came from there; thanks to Jeannie Becker I caught a very interesting, if brief, interview with Helmut Newton. And they also have/had? a gallery that showed great photography... two, come to think of it.

;-)

Rob C

P.S. Apart from that, one of my late and great friends who had a place next to me here in Spain hailed from Toronto, married a Scottish girl and (he) also played ice hockey for the Paisley Pirates, I believe, but not being sports minded, I might have confused that with some other team, but I think it was Paisley.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 04:31:31 am by Rob C »

GEOFFREYJAMES

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 10:54:55 am »

Thank you all for your comments.  Rob -- talk about a small world .  My wife,  who has a contemporary art gallery., was in Montreal this week for an awards ceremony for one of her artists,  and the person presenting the prize -- and sitting at her table -- was Jeanie Becker.  Even stranger,  my bassist son has just written  and played the music for a brilliant theatre piece written by Jeannie's daughter Becky O'Neil -- a two person one-acter about Hugo Ball the Dadaist Cabaret Voltaire in Zurich.  The lady waiting for the bus completely captivated me -- she was so beautifully  dressed, with a purple  beret.  Here are a couple more of Dundas Square.  The project continues.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:56:37 am by GEOFFREYJAMES »
Pages: [1]   Go Up