Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Faces Of An Iceberg  (Read 2871 times)

Blair McDougall

• Gallery
Faces Of An Iceberg
« on: November 18, 2010, 03:29:35 pm »

These were in 2008 when a friend and my daughter went out in a small boat to photograph this iceberg and a group of islands called Little Fogo.It was mid-day and at the onset the sky was clearing but was mainly overcast, which was good (icebergs are very difficult to photograph in full sun). As we approached a squall line cut between us and the iceberg creating a great back-drop, although we did get some heavy rain. As the sky slowly cleared it gave us some awesome transitional lighting. This iceberg was fairly large and been hanging about for almost a month before we got out to it so it took us a good half hour to circle it at a leisurely pace.
The main purpose posting these is that I have just downloaded some new (for me) trial software that seemed to give the spark these needed.
All C & C welcome, especially on the editing.
Thanks
Blair

There are more images of icebergs and also of Fogo Island Here

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Faces Of An Iceberg
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 04:07:52 pm »

Some nice work, thanks for sharing them!  The second one, where the iceberg cleaves the water on the lower left, combined with the islands in the background there resembled the outline of a ship... had to do a double take on that one.  The last is my favourite though.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

popnfresh

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 07:37:36 pm »

The first one works best for me. The light and the sky are more interesting than in the others.

Blair McDougall

• Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 09:14:35 am »

Some nice work, thanks for sharing them!  The second one, where the iceberg cleaves the water on the lower left, combined with the islands in the background there resembled the outline of a ship... had to do a double take on that one.  The last is my favourite though.

Mike.

Thank-you Mike. I find a lot of people see things in icebergs the same way they look at clouds, myself included. The second one reminds me of the head of a rino straight on looking at you..The last one shows the whole iceberg but does not seem to give the viewer the scale which was roughly 40 meters tall at the highest point.

The first one works best for me. The light and the sky are more interesting than in the others.

I agree that the sky is more interesting because of the passing squall line. We were very lucky to have the changing weather to work with.
Thanks again Popnfresh...
Blair

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 09:45:12 am »

I'd like to see these images as big prints.
Very beautiful work!

Ari N

• Ari Nousiainen - photography
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 01:41:09 pm »

Very beautiful shots, the last one is my favourite!

http://arskaphotos.dy.fi

Blair McDougall

• Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 05:52:14 am »

Thank-you Christoph..Although I have not printed these particular images as large as I want to yet, I have done a couple of others that IMHO look pretty good.

Very beautiful shots, the last one is my favourite!

http://arskaphotos.dy.fi

Thanks Ari...The last one is also one of my fav's as well..
Blair

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 07:11:35 am »

Amazing!

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 05:52:03 pm »

The first image communicates great strength and endurance. Although it is near-monochromatic, it works in color and I wouldn't convert it.

The contrast in shapes almost makes this an abstract, but the strong textures in the sea and ice bring one back to reality. The looming clouds add a perfect emotional darkness, and the movement in the clouds are a nice contrast to the frozen ice.

I also like your composition. Have you considered cloning out the bit of land camera right? a pure ocean shot might work!

David Saffir
GuruShots Photo Critique
David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 08:04:02 pm »

Great stuff.  I happen to like the diagonal of the land mass mirroring the diagonal element in the left iceberg in the first shot.  My $.02:  keep it.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Blair McDougall

• Gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 01:59:02 pm »

The first image communicates great strength and endurance. Although it is near-monochromatic, it works in color and I wouldn't convert it.

The contrast in shapes almost makes this an abstract, but the strong textures in the sea and ice bring one back to reality. The looming clouds add a perfect emotional darkness, and the movement in the clouds are a nice contrast to the frozen ice.

I also like your composition. Have you considered cloning out the bit of land camera right? a pure ocean shot might work!

David Saffir
GuruShots Photo Critique

Thank-you David..We were very lucky with the squall-line. Although I have been shooting icebergs for a few years now this was the only time I had that kind of backdrop and light at the same time. It's the abstract nature of icebergs I find totally absorbing and approach them as I would a sculpture or grand building. This is the image I had the most difficulty with since it was so monochromatic that it seemed flat to me. One thing I had to do was to boost the saturation so that the blue in the ice would separate itself from the background. The more I learn about PP the more I go back over my older images and give them another try.
To be honest the thought hadn't occurred to me about cloning out the island. One thing I like to do (but not always) when photographing icebergs, which helps create some sort of scale, is to include other elements in the frame.
Great stuff.  I happen to like the diagonal of the land mass mirroring the diagonal element in the left iceberg in the first shot.  My $.02:  keep it.
Thanks Colorwave.... ;D

Blair

Pages: [1]   Go Up