Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum Software Bug?  (Read 2797 times)

BradSmith

Forum Software Bug?
« on: November 18, 2010, 01:34:58 pm »

For the past two days, when I've successfully logged into the forum and try to mark all topics in a folder as having been read, I get the following error message:

An Error Has Occurred!
Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again

Logging out and back in doesn't improve the situation.  Backing out of the forum section then back in doesn't work.   

Anyone else experiencing this? 

For what it is worth, I'm on a Mac, using Safari as my browser (but I doubt that should matter)

Brad

mguertin

Re: Forum Software Bug?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 03:17:11 pm »

Hi Brad

I've seen this on occasion when a local cookie gets corrupted.  Please give the following a try:

Manually click Logout in the top bar and then close the forum page in the browser.
Delete the following cookie from Safari (found in Preferences->Security->Show Cookies): SMFCookie317

Immediately quit safari after you've deleted the cookie, then try logging in again.  I would suggest using the login page directly (instead of the quick login at the top right).  You can get to the main login page by clicking the Login link in the toolbar of the forum.

Let me know if this solves things for you.

Mark

BradSmith

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 01:19:32 am »

I'm afraid it still acts the same after two tries at the procedure you gave me.   But I've tried Firefox and that works OK.  Any other ideas????
thanks
Brad

mguertin

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 04:02:41 pm »

I'm afraid it still acts the same after two tries at the procedure you gave me.   But I've tried Firefox and that works OK.  Any other ideas????
thanks
Brad

Hmm that's very very odd.  Try clearing your cache in the browser as well?  Something is "stuck" (for lack of better terminology) and it's throwing things off.

BradSmith

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 08:29:08 pm »

Still happens after clearing/resetting Safari's cache.   For what it is worth, I'm using Safari 5.0.3   and OS X 10.6.5.    AOK in Firefox.

And on another topic........when I just tried to post this, after having been logged on from your main login page for about 3-4 minutes, I just got this message:

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
            Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message.

So I exited Safari, went into Firefox and am sending this from Firefox
I'm beginning to get self conscious........ :)

mguertin

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 05:00:14 pm »

Still happens after clearing/resetting Safari's cache.   For what it is worth, I'm using Safari 5.0.3   and OS X 10.6.5.    AOK in Firefox.

And on another topic........when I just tried to post this, after having been logged on from your main login page for about 3-4 minutes, I just got this message:

So I exited Safari, went into Firefox and am sending this from Firefox
I'm beginning to get self conscious........ :)

Hmm is it possible that the clock on your mac is not correctly set (including time zone) or that your account here is setup in the wrong timezone?  I'm grasping at straws here ... I've seen this sort of thing happen before but no one else seems to be having this issue -- including me and I'm using the same setup as you OS and Safari version wise.

Also if possible try running a repair permissions on your machine there ... there's something amiss for sure but it seems like something on your local machine is not jiving with the server setup here.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 05:51:28 pm »

So, did you actually try to re-submit? That's worked out for me. Seems there is a short time set for response...I often exceed it while crafting a message. But clicking re-submit has always worked for me (Safari 10.6.5).

BradSmith

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 01:25:02 pm »

Regarding my buggy world......time zone and clock AOK.   Just repaired my permissions and rebooted.  Came back into the forum and was still logged in.  Would that be normal?  Tried to Logout and got this error message:

An Error Has Occurred!
Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again.  

I tried to logout again and got the same error message, telling me to Logout!  

Jeff,
No I didn't try to resubmit.  That might have worked.  But I had only been logged on for 4 or 5 minutes and been writing my reply for a couple minutes when I got this.  I doubt that the time-out cycle is that short in it's normal operating mode.

Brad

And just now, having hit the Post button, I got the same error message regarding my session being timed out and I should resubmit.   Resubmitting got the same time-out error message, so I've copied this message, pasted it into Firefox and sent it

BradSmith

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 01:32:15 pm »

I found out that I can logout from the LL home page, but can't from inside the forum.   

Brad

mguertin

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 04:26:50 pm »

I found out that I can logout from the LL home page, but can't from inside the forum.   

Brad

That may have been the trick to get it sorted for you.  The home page logout doesn't enforce/track the sessionID (I know, too much geek talk) which is the issue you've been having.  Once you've logged out through that one it's possible that it will allow the forum to reset the session ID now.  Please let me know if logging out through there solved this for you.  I really don't know what else to tell you.

BradSmith

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 06:03:38 pm »

I'm afraid that didn't help either.   I guess I'll just have to use Firefox if I want to post anything or have the login/logout function work properly.
Thanks for your efforts

Brad

mguertin

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 06:53:55 pm »

If I can think of anything else to try I'll let you know.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up