Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Version 4 print profiles and Snow Leopard (is the issue Adobe?)  (Read 23184 times)

nucleonb

Re: Version 4 print profiles and Snow Leopard (is the issue Adobe?)
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2011, 02:13:49 pm »

Thank you for helping.
Here for screens from Print modules. The first two tittle (1a) and (1b) are cropped from the opened Print screen with selection of Printer managed the colors (1a) and Adobe with using Canon Paper profile (1b)
The screen (2a) is the next opened when selecting Pint from the Print module. This screen opened with selected "Layout" as default. Under layout is the option "Color Matching" - image (2b) - which show  (o)Color Sync or the selected (o) Canon Color Matching, however both are shown as greyout.
Leo

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2011, 03:22:40 pm »

Are you sure you are using the Pro9000 Mark II series CUPS Printer Driver Ver. 10.51.2.0 (Mac OS X 10.5/10.6/10.7) and not the Apple supplied driver?

Show me the rest of the printer  dialogs where you choose paper type etc.

Also are you sure your profile is still available to Lightroom. It can still be in your drop down list in LR but if is not available, Color Matching will default to Canon Color Controls, when it should I believe default to Colorsync.

nucleonb

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2011, 07:49:28 pm »

I think that was using provided DVD, however probably should get new driver from Canon. Let me know is it is good idea. Also, the attached is LR3 screen with paper profiles. To open this screen I am choosing "Other ..." I have added Red River profiles. These fit the shorter screen. The Canon profile titles are very long - the capture screen almost 2000 pix.

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2011, 08:16:12 pm »

Yes you should definitely install the latest driver.

nucleonb

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2011, 10:11:42 pm »

Thank you. I will later today.
Leo

nucleonb

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2011, 12:32:55 pm »

Hi,
I have searched Apple.com support for Color Management and I think found the answer (find below). I also attached the LR Print module screens for Color Matching (Printer manages the colors and ColorSync manages the colors). There is no chance to select because the choice is grayed out, however one shows ColorSync and another Canon Printer.

Here is the Apple info for OSX 10.6:

Changing color management options for printing.
If the colors in your document don’t look right, you can change whether colors are managed by ColorSync or your printer.
To change color management options for printing:
   1.   Open the document you want to print.
   2.   Choose File > Print.
If the Print dialog contains only two pop-up menus and some buttons across the bottom,
                click the disclosure triangle beside the Printer pop-up menu.
   3.   Choose Color Matching from the print options pop-up menu.
   4.   Select one of the following options:
   ▪   Select ColorSync if you want the application you’re using to control the color management of the printed output.
   ▪   Select “In printer” if you want the printer you’re using to control the color management of the printed output.
   5.   If you select ColorSync and don’t believe the correct profile is selected for your printer, you may be able to change it.
                If you see a Profile pop-up menu, choose Other Profiles from the pop-up menu, and select a new one.

It seems that OSX takes care of the choice however the prints when managed by printer are almost perfect match to my calibrated monitor screen and  when using profiles the print is much darker with lost details in low light areas.
Leo

Mac Mahon

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2011, 09:07:12 pm »

Leo

I have nearly the same setup as you.  I print successfully from LR - with very good monitor-print matching - using profiles.  When you choose the paper profile in LR's print dialog, the OS automatically selects Colorsync to manage the process, part of which is to turn off further colour management.  All options are greyed out.

I can think of only three explanations for you dark prints when using profiles:
(1) they're not really too dark, rather the screen luminance is too high (see digital dog's contributions elsewhere on this forum on that issue)
(2) the profile you're using is not the correct profile for the paper you're printing on - did you create the profile yourself, or is it a 'canned' profile?  supplied by?
(3) in the print driver you have somehow not selected the appropriate media setting (under 'Quality and Media' in the driver)

Do you get this dark phenomenon when you print on a Canon paper using their canned profile and the appropriate media setting?  While a canned profile may not give you superb colour matching you shouldn't be getting dreadful lightness/darkness mismatches.  If so, I would suspect explanation (1) above .

One of your screen shots  suggests you may be using a Red River paper.  If that's the case double check that you are using an appropriate media setting (ie which of the Canon media choices should you make to best approximate the reflectance, absorbency characteristics of your RR paper).  If you get that wrong all hell can, and often does, break loose. RR should have suggested an appropriate media setting when supplying the profile (if that's where you got it).

BTW if you have not updated OS 10.6 to the last version, OS 10.6.8, I would suggest doing that.  There were some issues with the initial releases of 'Snow Leopard'.

And, as suggested by Doyle, the latest Canon driver is known to work well with 10.6.8 (and 10.7 too!)

I hope this may be helpful

Cheers

Tim
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 09:09:45 pm by Mac Mahon »

nucleonb

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2011, 12:22:38 am »

Hi Tim,
- My operating system version is 10.6.8.
- Printer Canon 9000 MK II
- I do use Canon profiles for Canon paper.
- I have used RR profiles for RR paper - printed art album for my friend artist on Zeppelin, Semi-Gloss double sided. Tried to get RR tech support to solve the dark prints problem and their advise after detailed analysis with my sent file was: use Gloss Canon profile  and let printer manage the color. The reason was - It works well and id worked well for me. Later, the publisher used my files for the album.

- My monitor (screen) is calibrated with with Spyder3 at maximum brightness and I set brightness to max when editing. Do you calibrate Monitor at the max brightness?

- My editors are LR3 (80-90%)  and Adobe Elements for minor corrections and use of layers.
- The file formats are RAW saved as PSD for farther editing (Photoshop). I print PSD.
- The printer driver updated yesterday. Have not printed yet to verify if the printer driver was causing the problem

Thank you for the time.
Leo

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2011, 08:44:34 am »

- My monitor (screen) is calibrated with with Spyder3 at maximum brightness and I set brightness to max when editing. Do you calibrate Monitor at the max brightness?

I think this is your problem.  You don't say what kind of monitor you are using but I don't know of any case where maximum brightness will give you a good match for your print.  Tim's comment #1 is correct.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2011, 09:26:22 am »

Leo, I agree with Tim and Alan - this is most likely 95% of your issue. The other 5% COULD BE the Canon profile - but I'm hypothesizing as I have no experience with them - only saying this because there can be some advantage using a well-made custom profile. The other point I would emphasize, is that once you calibrate your display to a luminance appropriate for your working conditions and reprofile it, do not touch the display brightness controls thereafter. Andrew Rodney's essay about "why are my prints too dark" on this website is excellent. Have a look before you proceed. I don't know whether your display allows you to use DDC for calibration, or you need to do it manually, but whichever the approach, getting the Luminance down to a reasonable match for the reflected light coming off your print in "normal viewing conditions" is one of the most critical parameters to nail correctly in this situation. The printer, paper and ambient lighting conditions where you work are key factors in choosing the most appropriate luminance level. I think the most helpful behavioural relationship to bear in mind when approaching this is that bright screens induce us to reduce image luminance, and the reduced values end up producing dark prints. To give you a flavour for it - and everyones' conditions vary - in my case, using Ilford Gold Fibre Silk paper in an Epson 4900, with only two sixty watt bulbs - surrounded by dark lamp shades about ten feet away off-side of my display, my display luminance is anchored at 100. My prints viewed under Solux D50 bulbs (only switched on for viewing the prints) about four feet overhead look fine compared with the soft-proofed display version of the file.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mac Mahon

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2011, 03:16:40 pm »

Hey Leo

No.  I have my monitor turned way down!  A good rule of thumb is that a white page on the screen should look about the same brightness as the reflected light from a bit of photo paper where you would look at it when comparing an image on print and screen.  FWIW using this rule of thumb, my Mac monitor is usually in the region 90-100 cd/m2.

Diagnosis #1 sounds like it's right.  Thanks Mark and Alan!

Tim
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up