Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stupid design flaw of Epson P-2000  (Read 1393 times)

Marshal

Stupid design flaw of Epson P-2000
« on: June 07, 2005, 01:03:11 am »

Good questions! I haven't heard those addressed yet. And since I'm taking a trip in about 6 weeks with my D2X, I'd like to think I can record a few voice memos that will be stored for playback later. I probably won't need to play them back from the device, but will want those .wav files stored for playback when I get back home and do that with NikonView/Capture.

Is it that the Epson can at least store the data even if it can't play it back, or that it can't do either? Was planning to get one pretty soon so some good hard info would be appreciated.  

It is a really dumb oversight as you say and one that should be easily & promptly corrected with a firmware upgrade.

marty m

• http://
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 01:39:11 am »

For some incredibly dumb reason, the P-2000 can't play back ordinary .Wav audio files.  I regularly record .Wav files as I shoot with the 1Ds Mk II.  It would be great to be able to to play those back on the speaker included with the P-2000 while reviewing JPEGs or raw files.  Wav files aren't a proprietary format.  They are very small.  

Why  would Epson not include .wav audio files as a supported format?  Talk about a really stupid and brain-dead design.  

Michael, please add to your posted review of the P-2000 that Epson should support .wav files.  Epson listens to you, but not to consumers like me.  

This would be easy for Epson to add as part of their next firmware upgrade.  

Once Epson adds .wav audio files as a supported format, we will be able to review the .wav audio files that we record to accompany the JPEG or raw files from the various Canon cameas.

Thanks for considering my request.

marty m

• http://
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 09:20:23 pm »

The p-2000 will download the WAV files from the compactflash cards.   As Michael reported, the default setting hides any files that Epson doesn't support.  You have to set it in the preferences to show the unsupported files so you at least know that they downloaded properly.

But it would still be nice to be able to play the wav files each night as you review the shots and want to recall anything that you did (and recorded) that is not reflected in the shooting data.

The P-2000 is primarily designed to store and play back photo files.  It is not primarily an MP-3 player.  But it does include the ability to play back sound files and music.  So to not include the ability to play back the very wav files that we record with our photo files is, as I said, moronically dumb.

When I see stupid design decisions like this, I really wonder what planet the design engineers live on.  They certainly aren't photographers who use Canon cameras.  

Rather ironic for a company that makes money selling photographic printers and support equipment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up