Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Want to learn how to make an image shot in flat light look great?  (Read 5347 times)

JeffColburn

• The Creative's Corner

If you have photos that were shot in flat light, then this tutorial is for you. I just posted Part 1 of a two part article on how I made adjustments in Bridge and Photoshop to images shot on an overcast day with flat light. After the adjustments, colors are vivid, there's contrast, and the images looks great.

Head on over to http://www.TheCreativesCorner.com to see the tutorial.

Have Fun,
Jeff
If you're interested in photography, stock images of Arizona and Fine Art Prints of Arizona, visit www.TheCreativesCorner.com

JeffColburn

• The Creative's Corner
Re: Want to learn how to make an image shot in flat light look great?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 11:09:04 pm »

I just posted Part 2. I talk about setting a black point, adjusting global color and contrast, and show a neat masking selection technique. Head on over and take a look at http://www.TheCreativesCorner.com

Have Fun,
Jeff
If you're interested in photography, stock images of Arizona and Fine Art Prints of Arizona, visit www.TheCreativesCorner.com

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 01:52:08 am »

I just wanted to say that your posts are, in my humble opinion, beginning to enter the realms of SPAM.

micrud

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 09:47:27 am »

Jeff, as someone who has come into the wonderful world of digital photography at a late age, and find myself in need of all the advice and help i can get, i therefore find it very inspiring, to find that photographers on LL can put themselves out, in giving advice, and showing wonderful images on this great site, please keep up the good work,  kind regards mic.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 09:53:07 am »

I just posted Part 2. I talk about setting a black point, adjusting global color and contrast, and show a neat masking selection technique. Head on over and take a look at http://www.TheCreativesCorner.com

Have Fun,
Jeff

... of course you could have used Phocus for most of it.

¿Would this not be a classic case for a graduated layer-masked red filter?

There was a similar picture on the other side the other day (of New York and the statue of liberty from the Empire State building.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:27:43 pm by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

JeffColburn

• The Creative's Corner
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 12:22:16 pm »

Thanks Mic, I'm glad you liked it.

I've been going through some Photoshop tutorials (beta testing) for a very good photographer. I'm learning a lot from him and wanted to pass some of that info along to others.

Have Fun,
Jeff
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:29:21 pm by JeffColburn »

jeremypayne

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 12:52:50 pm »

Jeff, as someone who has come into the wonderful world of digital photography at a late age, and find myself in need of all the advice and help i can get, i therefore find it very inspiring, to find that photographers on LL can put themselves out, in giving advice, and showing wonderful images on this great site, please keep up the good work,  kind regards mic.

Self-promotion is inspiring?  Bah.

I'd be much more impressed if the posts were anything other than an attempt to drive traffic to another commercial site.

In the real world, that's called advertising and one usually pays for it.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 01:04:52 pm »

Self-promotion is inspiring?  Bah.

I'd be much more impressed if the posts were anything other than an attempt to drive traffic to another commercial site.

In the real world, that's called advertising and one usually pays for it.

Agreed. As a moderator on another site that doesn't allow advertising. This wouldn't stand.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

TaDa

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 04:29:06 pm »

Not playing devil's advocate or anything, but how is this considered advertising and spam?  The link is to a blog that is not commercial, nor charges for access.  Might be a way of trying to drive traffic, but I don't see what would be against the rules?  ???

JeffColburn

• The Creative's Corner
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 01:36:02 pm »

Good point TaDa. Great screen name too.

Have Fun,
Jeff

JohnKoerner

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 04:21:06 pm »

Not playing devil's advocate or anything, but how is this considered advertising and spam?  The link is to a blog that is not commercial, nor charges for access.  Might be a way of trying to drive traffic, but I don't see what would be against the rules?  ???

To me, coming to a man's forum or website just to try to steer that man's traffic over to your site is just plain rude.

It would be like coming here in the nature forum of LuLa and, instead of just posting a nature photo for everyone to enjoy saying, "Click on the link to my site to view my nature images!" Again, this is just rude and lame.

If Jeff has some helpful things to post, why can't he just post them here on this site? If he wants to post them over on his own site, then stay over there. But if Jeff isn't getting enough traffic of his own, it is simply bad manners to come here just to shamelessly solicit it.

For example, Alain Briot and others have their own sites too, but when they come here to this site to post their articles  they do so as contributors, not as thieves! You don't see Alain trying to steer business from LuLa, you see him contributing to LuLa's article base over here. Sure, there is a link to Alain's website too, but this is a reciprocal benefit from Alain to LuLa and from LuLa to Alain ... it is not one man just coming another's site trying to steal his viewers in a one-way manner.

Maybe Jeff means well, but his methods have a slimy "used car salesman" feel to them ... and I say that as someone who sold cars once

The way I see it, We have the availability of placing our website as signatures under each post, which is a nice enhancement. But this is a silent, subtle form of advertising that is okay (and which someone can choose to click-on, or not, on their own). It is not a direct "Look at me! Look at me!" shameless attempt to divert traffic away from the site-holder's forum onto your own.

I think if Jeff wants his articles to be seen so bad that he should ask for Michael's permission to have his articles posted here in Michael's article base for us to read (or Jeff should post them here on the forums himself), and if any of us thinks they're good enough we will take it upon ourselves to click onto Jeff's website link to see more. But this shameless "Look at me! Look at me!" one-way attempt to divert traffic away from here onto his own site is in very poor taste.

That's my $0.02,

Jack

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 04:25:47 pm by John Koerner »

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 06:35:15 am »

Sorry, but when someone posts mostly content-less comments, with links to his own site, and has close to zero participation in posts open by others, then that person is spamming the forum.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 06:50:45 am »

To me, coming to a man's forum or website just to try to steer that man's traffic over to your site is just plain rude.
To rephrase it, I'd feel it more polite with a smaller hiatus between the title of the thread and the content of the article...
I've learned in it that I needed to "start playing with the sliders until the image looks its best". Invaluable, thanks.  ;D
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 03:23:48 am »

Play with the sliders until the image looks its best? Thats a tutorial?  ???
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 04:55:24 am »

Play with the sliders until the image looks its best? Thats a tutorial?  ???
It might have been better if the article in the linked site did more than letting us know that he had mastered the basics.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

TaDa

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 08:10:59 pm »

I'm not saying he's not rude nor do I welcome more posts from him, I was just curious if it was against the rules in some way.  I'm new here and still learning my way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up