Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scotland by night.  (Read 2408 times)

stamper

Scotland by night.
« on: November 16, 2010, 04:26:13 am »

I have been experimenting with ND filters since the start of the year, mostly for sunsets. Here is one effort. The river Clyde in the centre of Glasgow, Scotland. A well known venue for night time photography.....if you can dodge the druggies!

stamper

Re: Scotland by night.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 04:33:12 am »

After posting I noticed that the image won't display larger - at least in Firefox - unless open in new tab is selected. Was it my fault or the board? :) I have checked using Internet Explorer and it enlargens in a new window. ??? After a Windows reboot it now seems to enlargen in Firefox. The wonders of computing :(
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 04:46:43 am by stamper »

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 05:06:59 am »

The image does open larger, in a new window; at least on this Firefox I am using...

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 05:27:33 am »

Back to the photograph: perhaps I would like to see more from the darker areas, but I like it as is.

stamper

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 07:18:50 am »

I was using a wide angle 10 - 20 lens and a barrier fence was right below my tripod so if I had moved back the fence would have occupied the bottom bit of the image. Thanks for the feedback.

francois

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 07:54:04 am »

I like it a lot. The tower on the right and the BBC building on the left give a good balance. I'm not bothered at all by the dark zones (bottom/left) but it wouldn't be a problem if some detail could be seen.
It's a very nice image.
Francois

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 08:43:53 am »

I like it just the way it is.
I usually dislike any dark areas lacking in detail, but I think that here you would lose the sense of it being nighttime if there were more detail. I think it would look like a daytime shot that had been darkened to look like night. Just my 2 cents.

I think it's quite stunning (and I'm glad the druggies are hidden in the shadows).

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 10:34:40 am »

Stamper

I think it's good, too, and wouldn't worry about shadow detail: photography is also about impressions, and doesn't have to be a record shot showing every damned flaw in the pavements!

Was this where you and the other guy had the face-to-face with two of the lads?

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 11:14:07 am »

What is this ?

An alien spaceship ?
An insect macro ?

I don't know what it is, but I like it ...

colinb

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 12:58:28 pm »

The metallic hump is the Glasgow Science Centre, http://www.gsc.org.uk/. The tower towards the right is part of the centre. It's all quite  good day out, though the cafeteria is pretty rubbish. Oh, and I do like the photograph.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 01:08:05 pm »

Who'd ever think Weegieland could ever be so colourful  ;)

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 02:08:57 pm »

I was using a wide angle 10 - 20 lens and a barrier fence was right below my tripod so if I had moved back the fence would have occupied the bottom bit of the image. Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry, the composition looks perfect to me; I was talking about the shadows. But, now that I have had the opportunity to look at the photograph in another monitor, I must say that it looks perfect.

bartsgb

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 04:04:31 am »

awesome job stamper! I've been working with ND filters myself but this is just stunning!

stamper

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 04:15:40 am »

Thanks for the feedback. The dark bit of the image is just water and there isn't any detail to be seen. Rob my brush with the inhabitants of the other world took place on the pedestrian bridge that is furthest west, about 100 yards from the location of the bridge. It was built in the last decade so possibly you won't have seen it?

stamper

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 04:19:58 am »

Who'd ever think Weegieland could ever be so colourful  ;)

Two black eyes would be colourful? :) :) :) ;) ;D

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 05:13:41 am »

Two black eyes would be colourful? :) :) :) ;) ;D

Ah, the Weegie Kiss  :-*

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 09:53:08 am »

Stamper

No, I haven't seen it at all... I don't think I'd know my way around the town anymore; I used to work for a while at a studio in Berkeley Street up at the Cross, near the library; even that area has been turned into something I didn't know - new apartments etc. Woodlands Road and George Street and the old Metropole... shot a show for Jimmy Logan there; I think he and Jack Short owned the place - from that shoot I got to do publicity shots for a singer with the Black and White Minstrel Show: Margaret Savage, I think she was called. For some reason I never understood, she decided to call me Jumpin' Jack Flash!  Also met that red-headed lass, Shirley Anne Field there. We arranged to go off and do a shoot, and when I arrived to pick her up, she was very apologetic and said she couldn't go because a press shoot had been set up... ah the power of the Record and the Express! It stung, it disappointed bigtime, but I did understand the reasoning. I think I left with good grace, at least until I was out of sight. Today, one wouldn't even get the chance to get the most gentle of pushes.

Yes, Glasgow... wasn't all  bad, looking back, but sure was hard as hell at the time. However, had it been then as it seems to be now, maybe I'd never have left at all. We can't run two tracks at once, so I'll never know what would have been the better bet. That little French singer, Edith, comes to mind here. Did she really have no regrets?

Rob C

P.S. Just realised that I'm not even sure if Berkeley has the second (or third!) e or not; not even if it's Charring Cross or Charing Cross. I used to call out words from the office and my wife would answer with the solution, every time, for every word; now I have a dictionary in the machine which, of course, requires that I know how to spell the word before it reveals it to me!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:58:58 am by Rob C »
Pages: [1]   Go Up