Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini Medium Format Shootout  (Read 55278 times)

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
Re: Mini Medium Format Shootout
« Reply #140 on: November 28, 2010, 01:43:14 pm »

Nice analysis Erik. An alternate title could be "Who stole my six stops?"  ::)

bjanes

« Reply #141 on: November 28, 2010, 08:32:21 pm »

Nice analysis Erik. An alternate title could be "Who stole my six stops?"  ::)

+1

And I think that Erik was merely using the JPEGs that Diglloyd posted. Analysis of the raw files might show an even greater advantage for the D3x photographic DR, which is clearly greater. The six f/stop claim in not credible. As expected, the Leica images are sharper due to more megapixels and the use of of a US $5000 Summarit-S 70mm f/2.5 ASPH Lens versus the $455 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Lens. Nonetheless, the D3x does pretty well, especially with deconvolution sharpening to restore sharpness lost by the blur filter.

Regards,

Bill

bjanes

Re: Mini Medium Format Shootout (getting back to the original topic)
« Reply #142 on: November 28, 2010, 08:41:24 pm »

For me there is no clear evidence. I have seen very few examples comparing the same optical system with/without OLP filter. Madmax has a few samples but they are all JPEG.

Erik,

An excellent review and summation. Maxmax does show some results for the Nikon D700, but they are merely JPEG screen captures. In an attempt to see what deconvolution sharpening could do, I used FocusMagic with a 2 pixel radius and amount of 100%. The results are shown and comments are welcome.

Regards,

Bill

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #143 on: November 28, 2010, 11:22:04 pm »

Hi,

I actually used the raw images. Lloyd has a few available for download.

Best regards
Erik

+1

And I think that Erik was merely using the JPEGs that Diglloyd posted. Analysis of the raw files might show an even greater advantage for the D3x photographic DR, which is clearly greater. The six f/stop claim in not credible. As expected, the Leica images are sharper due to more megapixels and the use of of a US $5000 Summarit-S 70mm f/2.5 ASPH Lens versus the $455 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Lens. Nonetheless, the D3x does pretty well, especially with deconvolution sharpening to restore sharpness lost by the blur filter.

Regards,

Bill
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up