Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Niagara Escarpment  (Read 3654 times)

meathod

Niagara Escarpment
« on: November 15, 2010, 05:41:11 pm »

Hey, just found this awesome site! Lots of really great work on here, excited to start posting!

I've been captivated by the beauty of the Niagara Escarpment for a while now...and here are my latest explorations. On a technical note, they are all photostitches, ranging from 100-200 megapixels each. At 300dpi, they are all around 40x40". I also shoot the light areas in HDR.

The Eastern White Cedar, able to grow in harsh conditions, spends hundreds of years splitting the limestone rock that was layed down by an ancient sea. Huge chunks are pushed aside to clear a path for their gnarled trunks. Growing for more than a 1000 years, these trees were seedlings durring the middle ages.

Birch, whos age pales in comparison, is also able to grow in the thin soils. They're usual smooth white bark is darkened and cracked with old age, revealing a life of struggle.

Water, unable to drain in the thin soils at the bottom of the escarpments edge, create forested bogs where cedar reveals itself to be capable of handling a new extreme.

Unable to hold firm in the muddy ground, old trees tumble over and expose their roots. Cedar trees keep on growing however, and start twisting their large trunks toward the sky again, in order to reach the sunlight.

This particular white cedar fell over and landed on the stump of another dead fallen birch. It then rooted itself onto the birch, a rich source of rotting nutrients. The old root ball of the cedar dead off, and the trunk left to rot away. This tree now grows exclusively from the birch, 10 feet away from it's original birthplace.

Growing on the fossilized remains of ancient reef inhabitants, this forest reveals a unique environment in the very way it grows. A cog in an ongoing cycle, these ancient trees remind us of the awesome power of nature, and given the time to grow, they can regenerate the most barren landscapes.

To be continued....

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Niagara Escarpment
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 07:55:28 pm »

It's been a long time since I was up on the escarpment.  RE: the birch in your second image, it's a yellow birch (Betula alleghaniensis), not a white birch (Betula papyrifera).  The roots that seem to be growing up in the air are because yellow birch seedlings (for some reason unknown to me) like to sprout in eastern hemlock (Pseuga canadadensis) stumps.  When the stump rots away, it looks as though the birch is growing in the air so to speak.  Try the yellow birch buds/ twigs the next time you're out... they taste like mint.

Oh, and welcome to the list!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

meathod

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:22:23 pm »

Oh man. That is amazing knowledge! thank you for correcting that.

Can you tell me any more about these trees? Or any other trees on the Niagara Escarpment? I'm doing my thesis project for photography on the forests of the Escarpment, and could use all the information i can get....

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 12:16:36 am »

Well, you could start with 'Native Trees of Canada' - if you have any specific questions, you can send me a direct message...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

DwayneOakes

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 10:40:02 am »

Cool place and photos ! Welcome to LL !

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes
Pages: [1]   Go Up